Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 11-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #1
mindgam3
Regular User

Default PSP - worth it?

Thinking of getting one of these little beauties for christmas. Had a play on one the other day - GTA and the graphics/quality was outstanding for something that small - add on the movie playback and wireless internet function and it seems like a complete gem.

Anyone got one and like to share some feedback?

Ta
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
cristiano_costa
Regular User

I was wondering the same...

Kind Regards,
Cristiano.
cristiano_costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Anonymous

personally i wonder if unless you are a commuter you would actually play these much after the novelty wears off. Myself i'm waiting for a PS3 don't have any console at the moment after my ps2 broke long ago :bah:
Old 11-08-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

PSP is a rich-boy toy
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
mindgam3
Regular User

ummm well I'm always travelling to and from uni, and i would imagine its very handy for checking e-mails n tht at home when u can't be arsed to lug a laptop from uni.

Originally Posted by RC45
PSP is a rich-boy toy
If you say so, but either way, is it a rich-boys toy with any downsides?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #6
Blip
Regular User

Even though the device is tehcnically impressive, I still don't think there are enough interesting games out there to warrant its purchase.

Sure the games have good graphics that apeal to mindless infants but what happened to small simple enjoyable games of the past. Alas..they are no more.

Another thing is that the games are pretty expensive.

One plus side is there's a lot of cracking being done by geeks, to do really cool things with the PSP. See www.psphacking101.com

Drive it like you stole it !
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by AL123
personally i wonder if unless you are a commuter you would actually play these much after the novelty wears off.
Novelty wore off for me after a few months... used it for about 2 dyas, then again when the Browser came out, but sold it three days before it went on sale over here.

Web browsing was awkward - alright for news sites, but shit for high content sites

gaming was good fun.... great graphics, but gamin is a bit anti social in school, but might be ideal for long journeys

Mem stick useful for pirated games, video and music

Also a bit too big to carry in your pocket IMO

:arrow: http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...&highlight=psp

and RC - thanks for the compliment
Old 11-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #8
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by thenumber1
Originally Posted by AL123
personally i wonder if unless you are a commuter you would actually play these much after the novelty wears off.
Novelty wore off for me after a few months... used it for about 2 dyas, then again when the Browser came out, but sold it three days before it went on sale over here.

Web browsing was awkward - alright for news sites, but shit for high content sites

gaming was good fun.... great graphics, but gamin is a bit anti social in school, but might be ideal for long journeys

Mem stick useful for pirated games, video and music

Also a bit too big to carry in your pocket IMO

:arrow: http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...&highlight=psp

and RC - thanks for the compliment
What sort of range did u get on your wireless mate?
Old 11-08-2005, 04:06 PM   #9
No.1
Regular User

TBH didn't leave garden... about 80ft (30m) to the end of garden from router in kitchen... signal just went after that... TBH i wasn't trying to push the performance, but i think that's apretty decent range. Had no problems with any of the signal being lost through walls etc all through the house
Old 11-08-2005, 04:36 PM   #10
Fleischmann
Regular User

It's a ripp off ATM...the prices of it over here in Poland is 2x that of a PS2 with a few games added as a bonus. And with the very high prices of games (which won't drop like the price of the console) it's a rather poor deal. But I suppose if you travel a lot and need a portable games console AND an MP3 player then this could be an option in the future, but not now due to the cost.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #11
gigdy
Regular User

Originally Posted by Fleischmann
AND an MP3 player then this could be an option in the future, but not now due to the cost.
it technically cant play mp3's, which is the main problem with it and sony in general. they only support proprietary encoding for music an vids for most all there products.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:38 PM   #12
Daggernite
Regular User

I've had mine for a while and although its a very clever little device, I wish I had of saved my money for the New xbox360 or PS3.

Many of the top games like toca2 and tiger woods are cheaper and have a slight edge on graphics compared to the PSP. If you want quality videos on your psp, they take alot of memory so you really need to buy a 1gig memo stick which sets you back more money. If you want to use it as a MP3 player then You better of with a actual Mp3 player since the PSP is pretty big to put in your pocket, and if you do put it in your pocket, you nice big screen is gunna get pretty scratched up. And as for internet, even tho I am inpressed it will never beat a keyboard, nore will it beat a 17ich screen. Its just fiddly and squashed. So I think the only reason you should get one is if your a gadget person, then you will appreciate it more. Did I mention the battery kinda sucks. It runs out before you know it, so if your into a good game, time flys and before you know it its ran out of batterys. Also DO NOT buy the value pack. The case sucks and isn't the one shown in all the pictures I saw. Its just a little foam case. Also the headphones are rubbish, they will not turn up loud because they are safty headphones, and if you are on a bus, train roomfull of people, you not gunna hear it with or without the headphones. The only way to hear the thing is to go and buy some headphones from the shop which dont limit the sound.

Now for some good things. Multiplayer on games like GTA are really fun since you have a full screen to yourself and you dont have to have a split screen like if you was playing on tv. Not many titles use the game share function where you can use one copy of the game tho. The screen is top notch, even tho it is really shiny, so if you outside, u can only see reflections and not the game. The analouge stick is good for the games but unless you go a double jointed thumb you wont beable to move you thumb after a hour of gameplaying.

Actually im writing too much. all I would say is buy the console when some more exsclusive games are out, unless you will be getting ripped off for games that are out other consoles. Also UMD movies lack all the extras DVD's have. So when more games are out and when thats the case it will be cheaper i would have thought. Hope this as all helped its too me ages. No doubt theres many spelling mistakes.
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #13
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by gigdy
Originally Posted by Fleischmann
AND an MP3 player then this could be an option in the future, but not now due to the cost.
it technically cant play mp3's
Technically it can .... put MP3 in folder on Mem Stick entitled Music, and then go to main browser screen.... pick track, playlist etc... piece of piss

Shite MP3 player, but an MP3 player none the less

@ Daggernite... nice summary, unfortunately i sold mine before GTA and TOCA came out, but i can see the attraction of multiplayer GTA 8)
Old 11-08-2005, 06:18 PM   #14
gis
Regular User

ive got mine for sale right now,i like it,but lookin into the future there isnt any games i fancy,especially with an xbox 360 on order,but its great if you travel a lot and want sumthin to do on the journey.

if anyone is interested mine is up for sale with 4 games and 3 movies.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:20 AM   #15
Ziploc
Regular User

TBO i got a DS instead. If your looking for a fun gaming machine with WIFI i think its great. more durable, longer lasting battery, and no load times.

and its alot cheaper. and if you ask me the PSP is just to much. it takes me less than 10 seconds to hop in a a game on my DS the PSP just seems so bloated for what its aparently supposed to be. a portable game player.
Ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote