Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 04-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default Long Beach GP Report (Pics & Vids)

Ahh yes. My local racing event of the year. Anyone going?

If you're not familiar with it, it's a collection of race events at the historic street circuit in Long Beach, California, USA. The city has seen the like of Formula One, Champ Car, and American Le Mans on its streets.

Here's some pics from last year.
http://fullerton.facebook.com/album....af&id=19905668
http://fullerton.facebook.com/album....77&id=19905668
http://fullerton.facebook.com/album....f0&id=19905668
http://fullerton.facebook.com/album....d4&id=19905668
http://fullerton.facebook.com/album....74&id=19905668

This year will be special. First, Long Beach will induct Mario Andretti, Parnelli Jones, and Gary Gabelich to the Motorsport Walk of Fame, who will join the likes of Phil Hill and Dan Gurney. This will happen during the first Thursday events of the Grand Prix, which will include an extra chance to see Le Mans-spec racers practicing.

This year also sees the Formula Drift competition moved to a week earlier. The Long Beach GP website still shows Formula Drift competitions during the grand prix, so I'm wondering if those are two separate events or not.

One awesome addition to the Grand Prix is the DARPA Urban Challenge race. It'll be a race between autonomous vehicles that can navigate through the course without any external input. These cars are amazing. They look silly, but amazing.

Finally, this is the FINAL Champ Car race. Since the merger (absorption) of Champ Car and IRL, all other races in Champ Car calendar has been cancelled (including Grand Prix of Houston and Grand Prix of Toronto). So. It's the end. Hopefully, everything returns to Long Beach next year. (with Danica Patrick, I hope. Long Beach GP is technically safe till 2015, but if no one's racing...)

featured racing series
-Champ Car World Series
-American Le Mans Series
-SCCA SPEED World Challenge Championship (GT Class only)
-Atlantic Championship
-DARPA Urban Challenge
-Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 05-08-2008 at 05:27 PM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
MBDriver
Regular User

I'll be there this Weekend for Formula D.

My crew will be showing our cars for the Showoff - JDM Vs. DTM.
MBDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:23 AM   #3
79TA
Regular User

yessss, the LBGP is awesome.

Anyone have clarification about what's going on with the Formula Drift competition. As Heil said, it's happening on the 12th. Is there more during the normal grand prix?

Anyway, what's this about a car show off?

*edit

Ok, I finally figured it out. The actual individual Formula D competition happens on the 12th. The Formula D performances during the actual Grand Prix a week later will be the "team drift competition" where teams of 3 cars drift around and the fans pick the winner. Last year the tally was done with text messages much like American Idol would be.

Last edited by 79TA; 04-09-2008 at 01:02 AM.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:46 AM   #4
MBDriver
Regular User

Check it out! It'll be cool - I was there last year as well.

Be sure to check out the showoff and visit me at my Booth! I will be at the myMBonline.com booth showcasing some hot Benz's!
MBDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by MBDriver View Post
I'll be there this Weekend for Formula D.

My crew will be showing our cars for the Showoff - JDM Vs. DTM.
Wait. Is that DTM as in Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters? That doesn't sound much of a showoff.

*nevermind. I should contact Germany and make them stop using the DTM name...
Old 04-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Aston Martin V8 Vantage GT2 will make its racing debut in Long Beach!!!

Technically, it had track debut at Catalunya last month, but that car DNS.

And Mazda Furai will be in a car parade down the track.

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 04-15-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:53 AM   #7
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Man. What a day. This is turning out to be one great Grand Prix.

Thursdays aren't usually included in Grand Prix schedules because the turnout is usually bad. People have work to do, school to go to... I, for one, ditched school. Forget Circuits and Dynamics. They're nothing compared to what I did today.

First things first. I met Parnelli Jones and Mario Andretti. It was the 3rd annual Motorsport Walk of Fame induction. Parnelli Jones, Mario Andretti, and Gary Gabelich were honored this year, joining legends such as Phil Hills, Dan Gurney, and Paul Newman. Parnelli Jones, whose real name is Rufus, is a legend in the fabled Trans-Am series, forever remembered alongside his equally-legendary Boss 203 Mustang. Not only that, he raced in IndyCar, NASCAR, midget car, sprint car, and even in Baja and Pikes Peak, which he won in 1963.

Mario Andretti is probably the most famous American racecar driver of all times. He's had success in IndyCar, F1, and in NASCAR, and also competed in sports cars and drag cars.

Gary Gabelich is the most obscure legend honored today. But he is no less deserving. Gabelich was a record setter who broke the land speed record in 1970, doing over 622mph. He was also the first man to do 200mph on water. He passed away 1984, and his wife, Rae Gabelich was there to accept the honor.

After the ceremony, I got Parnelli Jones and Mario Andretti to sign the program, so that was awesome. It was pretty mad, though. All those fans...

Then I went down to the Lifestyle Expo, which is just an exhibition for vendors. I was hoping to find a Sony trailer full of PS3's, but there wasn't one this year. Instead, the Lexus booth had 7 PS3 Virtua GT machines hooked up to HDTVs, all running at 1080p. Awesome, right? No. They were adamant that we were only going to drive the Lexus IS-F on Fuji. Not only that, they couldn't work the machine right, so no one got to play. Boo. Failed again, Lexus. Oh, and that fat Lexus thing was there.

There was also a GM booth, sporting SS models, a C6.R (in '08 livery, although both C6.Rs were scheduled to race. So I assume that's a backup car or an old one), a modified Solstice, and the Solstice SD-290 concept.

OOH, and I finally saw the Mazda Furai concept. It is easily the BEST looking car I've seen in years. Based on a Le Mans prototype, this show car demonstrates the extreme end of Mazda's new design language. Surely this cannot be replicated for production cars.

In the hall next to the main floor was a display of open wheel racecars of yore, all American, of course.
In the Arena, the Formula Drift garage was replaced with the Atlantic garage.

Anyways. Then I had King Taco for lunch, and came back to see the ALMS practice. It's LOUD. If you've never been to a Le Mans-type race, you haven't been to a race. It's just so interesting to see all those different race cars in one track, all singing a different tune. The Audi R10 is eerily silent, the RS Spyder barks. The F430 GTs shriek, and the American GTs, Corvettes, Viper, and the Esperantes make that thundering noise that just jack hammers your brain. There were significant new entrants. The Doran Racing Ford GTR was surprisingly quiet, and the brand-spanking-new Drayson-Barwell AMV8 Vantage was properly loud, rivalling the American V8s at least in sound. Porsche GT3RSRs were surprisingly quieter than I remember.

Right after the ALMS practice, they had the Formula Drift practice. It was spectacular as always, but, no Rhys Millen and his troublesome Solstice. And they did a Fast Lap thing? I don't know what that is, but all I know was that it was boring and they didn't do anything. Oh well.

Then they had another ALMS practice. Hooray. Awesome.

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 04-18-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:55 AM   #8
79TA
Regular User

it's been more than 20 minutes : )
Old 04-18-2008, 02:43 AM   #9
HeilSvenska
Regular User

The pics are up now. It takes at least 5 mins to upload 10 pics.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #10
ae86_16v
Regular User

Thanks for the update. It looks like this is turning out to be a pretty damn cool event. it is too bad what had to happen to Champ Car. Hopefully IRL will put a few more road races in the calendar down the line.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #11
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Vids up.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:13 AM   #12
79TA
Regular User

sweeeeet

I'll add on to this later. I'll try to avoid anything too redundant.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:22 AM   #13
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Oh right. Day 2. Didn't do much. The pics weren't that good, so I'll just add the good ones to tomorrow's report.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:30 AM   #14
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

Awesome thread so far, dude. That picture of the Ford GT racer is awesome. Its amazing how close you can get to the track, and I'm assuming you're using the excellent 18-200mm VR lens you raved over.

Can't wait for the next big update!
Old 04-19-2008, 02:32 AM   #15
79TA
Regular User

ok, supershort Friday summary:

open wheel cars (from the Atlantic and Champ Car series) take practice laps:

Oliver Gavin wants his firesuit hemmed up a bit:

ALMS still has the best pace cars:

(then of course there was more ALMS and Formula D practice)