Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2003, 04:10 PM   #11
crasherror
Regular User

A little background info. This summer I went to the Monterey historic auto races. During the races I saw many racing legends, there were a couple of 356s a handful of 550’s, and 2 RSKs but what really surprised me was the amount of Bugattis that were there. Also the new 1001hpVeryon made an appearance, but the test driver put it in to the gravel in turn one at Laguna Seca, I am sure he got a stern talking to. (I will post some pics later).

Later on in the week I went to the in at Spanish Bay for some breakfast with my family. When I got to the restaurant I saw someone I would have never thought to see. Derek Bell, the 5-time Le Mans winner was sitting there with a smile on his face. I walked up to him and asked if I could get a picture with him. He said, “Sure I would not mind at all” in his British accent. Right before my brother took the picture he said wait hold on. He saw that I had a shirt with a Porsche logo on it and he said “make sure you can see the best logo in the world” showing reverence to the marquee that made him a motoring legend. He has to be the nicest international racing legend I have ever met. It is a moment in my life that I will remember for the rest of my life.
Thanks Derek.