Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-13-2003, 06:20 PM   #61
Nemisis8u
Regular User

HOLY SHIT :shock:, you guys are writing novels here.
Nemisis8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:03 PM   #62
Nemisis8u
Regular User

By the way why are you comparing an SS to an m3? They are in a different league and in a different price range. I am looking at an official program for the 2002 Canadian International Auto show. It contains the prices and some of the specs for all cars available in Canada. Since we are talking about the SS and assuming it is not a convertible the price for it is $35,375 cnd, the price for the M3 (the cheapest one so I’m assuming that its a hard top) is $73,500. So comparing an M3 To an SS is dumb and pointless. You may bring up the "tax" issue, but let’s face it the M3 is a more then double the price of the SS. So stop comparing them two. As far as I can see it a more appropriate contender would be the Z06. The cost of a Z06 is $62,400/70,780 and the M3 is $73,500/83,500. The More expensive one is probably the convertible. To be fair lets compare the base models (the ones that are the cheapest). M3 is about $10,000 more expensive then the Z06, this is more then enough to justify the "Tax" issue. Road and track did a high-speed handling test of 8 cars
1. 360 Modena
2. Z06
3. 911 Turbo
4. Lotus Elise
5. Evo VII
6. M3 Coupe
7. Boxter S
8. Mazda MP3
The Z06 came in 5th while the M3 came in 7th. I’ll look for the article and see if I can find it. This comparison is dumb. It’s like comparing a Civic hatchback to an M Coupe. Do you see what I am trying to say?
Nemisis8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:21 PM   #63
666fast
Regular User

[quote="Nemisis8u"]By the way why are you comparing an SS to an m3? quote]

I was just about to say the same thing. The M3 in my opinion is a better car, but it's also a hell of a lot more. The price difference cannot be blamed on import taxes either.
I know what fedezyl is talking about when it comes modified cars, it's a money contest. The question shouldn't be how fast do you want to go, it should be how much money do you want to spend?

Lets face it, all manufacturers have build quality problems at one point or another. You know, GM and misaligned body panels, get a Fiat wet and it might not start.

As for the article that Nemisis mentioned, I know that a Z06 will be faster than an M3, I'd sure as hell hope so. Afterall, it's the only american sportscar.
If I had to choose between the two, it would definately be the Vette. I'm not saying the M3 is not a nice car, it definately is but I'd rather have a Corvette.

We can go all day long about who makes beter cars, because it'll come down to opinions and what it is we want out of a car. People who don't live here think american cars a big, and crap handling. Fact is, they handle just fine and people want big cars here.
I don't like the F360, does that mean it's junk? No
I like the Dodge Avengers, does that mean it's the best? No

Just because you don't like a certainc ar, it doesn't mean it's junk.
Just because you like a car a lot, it doesn't mean it's the best car ever or even in it's class.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:18 PM   #64
fedezyl
Regular User

Good point there, I agree with you, I guess we got a little bit carried away on the discussion...Oh well..
It come's down to taste and preferences I guess...
hey 666fast what car do you drive? just curious...

fedezyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:38 PM   #65
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by fedezyl
Good point there, I agree with you, I guess we got a little bit carried away on the discussion...Oh well..
It come's down to taste and preferences I guess...
hey 666fast what car do you drive? just curious...
At the moment I don't have a car. Work is a mere 5 minute walk. I figure I don't need one, why pay for one. I used to have a Chevy Celebrity but my friends and I killed it! LOL
I've been looking at cars lately and trying to decide what it is I want. Being in the midwest we get some nasty winters and roads are heavily salted. I do want a muscle car, but it would be useless in the winter. Most likely, I'll end up with an E30 325. Preferably the 325is. Some other cars I'm thinking about are Porsche 944, Datsun Z cars or maybe even a mid 1980's 300ZX. I won't buy anything new, I don't want a car payment.
Hopefully in the next month or two, I'll buy a car. I kind of miss driving.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:34 PM   #66
novass
Regular User

@666.....be careful with the 944s, dont buy a 83. my friend has had one for a few years, it a POS. i think the other years are alright tho.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 12:35 AM   #67
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by novass
@666.....be careful with the 944s, dont buy a 83. my friend has had one for a few years, it a POS. i think the other years are alright tho.
Yea, I've driven a few of them. Some of the older ones are pretty damn rough. They updated them halfway through 1985, so I'll be looking at later versions. I won't be looking for them here, they are hideously expensive in Minnesota due to the whole rusting thing. A good one here will go for $15k easy whereas in California, the same car will go for $9000.
I'm not sure if it's the car I'll buy, it's the one I want over my other choices but it's considerably more expensive than a 325is.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:24 PM   #68
novass
Regular User

@ 666....get a Z and put a V8 in it LOL. i like Zs they are a pretty good little 2 seater. My roomate has a 75 280 and i live with the guy with the 83 944. we put 2 in each car the other day and raced them on the nearby freeway, i wish i had a camcorder, the Z won because weve taken a bunch of weight off of it (bumpers, etc.) ill post some pics, they arent anything too special tho

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote