Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-17-2003, 02:55 PM   #16
doyle
Regular User

Give back what, exactly? Post after mindless post containg drivvle and whatever thought enters my head? You said that a good server costs "good money" to run and I completely agree, but does that mean that I should take up additional server space by posting shit just to get my post count up in the hopes of a video or two?

Most of my posts are carefully thought out to be beneficial, I don't see any need to post a "LOL" or smiley face if someone posts something funny. I read it, chuckle, and move on. If the mods decide to start charging for the videos, that won't stop me from reading the forums. I would think it beneficial to have people ready to hop in and help out when they can. I don't think server space is properly utilized by posting a reply to every thread.

So beev..., what's your solution? The topic is about people registering just to get videos and a comment was made about how many of those people never visit the forums. I simply put forth a possible alternative to base the access on visits as opposed to actual posts.
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 03:06 PM   #17
TT
Regular User

but wouldn't a more fair way be to base it off the number of visits, or the average amount of visits per week if possible? I would bet that there a few out there like me who are loyal visitors and readers but don't feel the need to create a post for every thought that comes to mind
Problem it's easy to see who visit every day, but we cannot really go through all the 800+ usuers to see how many topics they view or if they just came to snag vids
Old 12-17-2003, 03:06 PM   #18
PATo355
Regular User

Bah , this site rocks , let the leechers leech we dont care , there is always ppl with good point of view to share and talk to them ...

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 03:20 PM   #19
doyle
Regular User

Problem it's easy to see who visit every day, but we cannot really go through all the 800+ usuers to see how many topics they view or if they just came to snag vids
Good point. What about a counter for each topic clicked on and then base the access on that number? I really don't care as the videos are nice but not essential for my being here. All I am pointing out is there are a lot of us introverts lurking around everyday who will never get a high post count .

doyle
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:33 PM   #20
Ziploc
Regular User

im with doyle

im here every day and enjoy the reading very much but is just sometimes can't think of something that i can say that will actually add to topics
Ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:36 PM   #21
TT
Regular User

We can already see the number of pages loaded by everybody, don't worry, but to do like you suggest, we would anyway have to check every user manually you see?

So we still prefer to stick with a more naive method.. just our own judgment.. it can sound medieval, but it's trusty usually

And Ziploc, don't be shy
Old 12-17-2003, 06:12 PM   #22
godspeed06
Regular User

"i know i'll get quite annoyed at the barage of new members posting like hell to get video vault access. most of their post content will be worthless (as we've already seen) and idunno how much i can take of it before i pull my nose hairs out with a pair of hot forks.

i find it funny though that ever since jabba announced the new access rules HUNDREDS of members have crawled out from under their respective rocks to post their asses off hoping to catch some sweet top gear episodes.

makes me wonder why i even bother at all"

you are the problem with this forum, not the new posters and the ones who have been lurking in the woodwork.there is no reason why you should get pissed about a "meaningless" post, all you have to do is scroll down. you elitist, high post count bastards go around telling everyone to CONTRIBUTE and POST, then when they do, you turn back on them and talk about how all of their posts are meaningless. we can't win, even if we want to be part of the board and get the vids, we will still have you assholes bitching about us. i know what you guys are thinking, "oh, look at that guy, he joined two days ago and he has over 50 posts already, what a bitch" so what? you need to either get off of your high horse and stop bitching, or let the vids be free access. who are you to judge our motives? either way, im sticking around. you just want to keep all the new posters out of vid access so you and the other elitist posters can feel special.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 06:18 PM   #23
gis
Regular User

^^^ not really,its not the fact that there is a new member and he posts,like yourself but about 500 new members joined and like 15 people started posting all att he same time and they all asked straight off in the first posts askin about vids.

about makin the vids access free,bandwidth aint free so neither can the access to everyone.

BTW i have a high post count,i dont consider myself a bastard thank you very much

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 06:29 PM   #24
TT
Regular User

Let's try to clear things a little... if we keep saying what we "require" is because ppl keep asking.. basically the best for us would just be to stay silent and see who really enjoys the community.. and after some days / weeks, just add him to the group able to download, informing him and so on...

Of course when ppl ask and we answer them, we know that a wave of new posters will arrive. It's sort of a pain for me too since I have to read everything
Sure I know lot of old topics where brought back to life, but that was not a surprise..

And again, I'll repeat again: we don't do that to be Nazi or something like that.. if we have to limit access is to keep the forum alive... of course we'd like to use every single GB of bandwidth providing stuff to everybody, but we simply can't and again, we love our community, so it's obvious that the first thing we have to kill when the site has problems, are the vids.. and if we have to limit the access we have to use some kind of method to choose them...

The post flooding was not really that bad IMO.. bit scary sure but things slowed already down, and in some weeks we will see the users that really enjoy their stay around here and I hope the pleasure would be for them too, having found a good place to hang around...

To apply rules is never nice, we already tried to have strick rules about post counts, or comments posted or something like that, but ppl were still bitching, so now we have no more "real rules".. we just us our judgment, that's all..
That can seem even worst, but maybe that will help keeping ppl "honest"... useless to say "minumum posts required are 200"... because during the night 10 or 20 ppl will post 200 times and get there...

I don't know if my point is understandeable or not, but I begin to be tired to explain over and over again in the forums or via PM how we feel about the situation and so on...
Old 12-17-2003, 06:35 PM   #25
godspeed06
Regular User

like i said, i dont mind the vids being held until you have been deemed a "contributor." just stop complaining about all the new people. they want vids and to get them they have to post. just don't act so elitist. there was a thread going around somewhere called the "memberlist of shame" or something like that. that is uncalled for. if a moderator thinks someone needs to be banned then ban him, dont make up and entire thread mocking everyone who just wanted some vids. if all they want is vids, and they dont want to contribute, then they will get sick of it and leave. it will work itself out. i don't see how some of you guys want the board to grow considering how you treat new members.

besides, how long has this board been around? most of you elitist guys i have seen have only been around since the summer anyway. wow, you've been here for a few months, big fucking deal. its a big shock to come from boards where people have been around for almost a decade and they still thank and congratulate new posters. then you guys, who have been here for four months, bash people for wanting to know about vids. give me a break.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:45 PM   #26
TT
Regular User

I see your point. And I'm not really complaining about the new members.. of course the wave of posting caught us a little by surprise, but I ALWAYS respect everybody, and I didn't see terrible moments of true SPAM, so all is ok IMO.. really!

As for the Hall of Shame.. not beeing around when some things happened, I can't ask you if you remember, but in there, we only posted about ppl really spamming, and I mean SPAMMING!

We had a rule about "at least 50 posts".. and suddently you see a member registering and posting 50 times "thanks" in 50 different topics... don't you call that spam? I think you do.

And I'm sad to see there is still somebody calling us elitists (in a negative way)

WE HAVE TO BE "elitists".. it's like that, and we're not racingflix or supercars.net...

The forum was born in June yes.. things started little earlier on RF, and if you don't understand the concept of "core members", I can't help...
It's obvious that the members we knew on RF, the first one registering and posting here are considered in a different way than the new ones..
That said, nothing against new members at all, but you can't pretend to tell us how to run JW, sorry.. just believe me when I say our decisions are aimed to the good wealth of the community...

We are not elitists because we like to keep ppl out of some special group or whatever...

I'm sorry to say that, but if you don't like our methods, we can't change just to make you feel at home...
Old 12-17-2003, 06:45 PM   #27
gis
Regular User

Originally Posted by godspeed06
give me a break.
then leave and stop complainin,we dont treat members badly its just annoyin after one person asks about vids that they get an answer another person will ask the same question and when the vids were available to most,the links got passed out and not on one occasion and which it was said more than once,DONT PASS THE LINKS OUTSIDE JW

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 06:48 PM   #28
TT
Regular User

gis got a point.. sometimes we also reply over the lines (admins or members), because some questions or problems are taken out lot and lot of times and beeing humans we can also be tired..

I always try to be as fair as possible, and I never have bad feelings toward somebody I don't know, but when you have to answer 10 or 20 pissed off ppl via PM about the same problem, than find 10 topics about that and so on, you can maybe understand my feelings can be little modified...
Old 12-17-2003, 09:45 PM   #29
godspeed06
Regular User

yea, i understand. it was just that i think my first impression of the boards could have been better. just a bad time i guess... plus, im kind of surprised that i didn't get flamed to hell after all of what i said, so either not many people have checked the thread or this place isn't as bad as i thought.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:10 PM   #30
air_rjordan23

so either not many people have checked the thread or this place isn't as bad as i thought.
the latter