Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 06-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Cockrocket
Regular User

Default Le Man class's power and weight specifications!

With the legendary 24 hour race only days away and with Motors tv showing more coverage during this week than anything i have ever seen i have got a buzz for all things Le Mans...at the moment the C6-R is looking mighty nice as well!

I was wondering though does anyone have any idea of the specs of the cars in the different classes? LMP1, LMP2, GT1, GT2 etc?

Also, does anyone else her think it should be a great idea to have a Le Man ultimate picture topic?

The Best is the Best...but their is always someone Better!
Cockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
666fast
Regular User

It's actually incredibly complicated once you get down to it on the different car classes.

I dont' remember the engine size limits, but basically the biggest difference between LMP1 and 2 would the weight. LMP1 minimum is 900kg I believe and LMP2 is 675. It's supposed to work out to make them even. But with the transition from old rules to new rules, only the newer P2 cars (Porsche etc) will be able to keep a decent pace compared to P1 cars.

GT2 are basically showroom cars with necessary mods for safety and competitiveness.
GT1 allows more modifications. More power etc. I do know that from the wheel centerline and below, it has to keep a stock appearance.

There is a hell of a lot more to it than that: width, overhang lenghts, engine size, forced induction. If you really want to know the rules, have fun deciphering them. YOu can download them from the ACO and IMSA websites I believe.

Then, you have all of the lame rules at the 24 hours of LeMans itself. White line rule and whatnot.

I try not to bore myself with the details and enjoy the racing! LOL

I'm hoping for another win by the Vettes, but just like last year, I'm sure the Astons will be right there to let them know they mean business.

LMP1 will be Audi IMO. Pescarolo is damn fast though, hopefully they don't have a repeat of last years problems.
LMP2 will probably be Porsche, if they can keep it together anyway.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
gucom
Regular User

actually porsche doesnt race le mans in LMP2 this year

the basic class regulations:
LMP1 (Audi R10, Pescarolo, Zytek, Racing for Holland, Lister Storm (FUGLY), Creation as seen on the discovery channel, etc)
�� Open or closed roof sports cars �� 6 ltr. aspirated engine or 4 ltr. Turbo or 5.5 ltr. Diesel
�� 4.65 m length, 2.00 m width, 1.03 m height �� 925 kg minimum weight
�� 90 litres fuel tank �� Headlights with white beam
�� 16" wheel width

LMP2 (privateer teams, with among others rollcentre racing with a Radical, and Gerard Welter, former Peugeaut designer, with a self-designed peugeot-powered car, my fave LMP2 )
Open or closed roof sports cars
�� 3.4 ltr. aspirated engine or 2 ltr. Turbo �� 4.65 m length, 2.00 m width, 1.03 m height
�� 775 kg minimum weight �� 90 litres fuel tank
�� Headlights with white beam �� 14" wheel width

GT1 (Corvette, Aston Martin, Saleen, Ferrari 550 and Lamborghini)
“looking-like-production” sports cars
�� Minimum weight depends on engine cubic capacity �� 5.00 m length, 2.00 m width
�� 8 ltr. Aspirated engine or 4 ltr. Turbo �� 100 litres fuel tank
�� Headlights with yellow beam �� 14" wheel width
�� Carbon brake discs

GT2 (porsche, porsche, spyker, panoz, ferrari F430, porsche, and you might see a porsche or two driving around)
“closer-to-production” sports cars
�� only movable parts of the bodywork may be
changed against more lightweight ones �� 4.80 m length, 2.00 m width
�� Minimum weight depends on engine cubic
capacity (higher than in LM GT1 class) �� 8 ltr. Aspirated engine or 4 ltr. Turbo
�� 100 litres fuel tank �� Headlights with yellow beam
�� 14" wheel width �� Steel brake discs
�� No telemetry allowed

(BTW thx for the guys who made the guide where i found this info, from mulsanne's corner, for making this post possible )