Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 09-15-2004, 03:49 PM   #1
DeMoN
Regular User

Default RDRAM help needed

Well I have never had a computer with this type of memory, all I know is my roomate does. I also know how expensive these sh!ts are!. His Dell desktop computer has all four dim slots used up. The first two are thin dimms and the other two are the acutal ram memories.

He has two 128MB ones and he wants to upgrade. Now the question is... what are those first two thin rams for? We tried taking them out and the computer wouldnt start. I know that RDRAM work in pair so basically I thought that the pair of 128MB dimms would be enough for the computer to work so that is why I took out the first two. Apparently, the computer does not work without those first two thin dimms. What are they? Whats the purpose of them if they dont help at all on ram size?

He will purchase two 256MB and well I want to know wether I will be able to use those two new 256 along with the old 128's and using up all the 4 slots or if those two first thin dimms need to be there.

I tried browsing the web, but with such little time available, I did not find anything telling me what those first two dimms are for. Hopefully someone from the forums can answer this... thanx in advanced.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:24 PM   #2
No.1
Regular User

I am currently using RDRAM, and have just purchased some for an upgrade from 256 to 512MB.

Firstly, they need to be installed in pairs.
They need to be the right speed i.e 733, 800, 1066MHz etc...

The "thin dimms" are actually CRIMMS. Continuity/Continuous. You are right, all memory slots need to be occupied.

Basically, as long as the RIMMS are in pairs, ie. his 2x128MB and 2x256MB ar in the right slots, it will work. You still need to check that his Mo Bo has a maximum capacity of greater than 512MB though. {My Asus P4T only allows a max of 512 }

There are loads of RIMMS for sale on eBay, many pulled from DELL systems. So as long as the seller has good feeedback, the RIMMS are tested, and fully working you should be alright.

I have just purchased 2x256MB for 90GBP ... to get these new would cost upwards of $250.

WOW... i'm amazed i could help somebody on a PC related problem
Old 09-15-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
gigdy
Regular User

what he said pretty much, the thin ones are just place holders. i got 768meg of rdram and i got it 3 years ago.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:29 PM   #4
DeMoN
Regular User

Thanx so much. Basically those thin ones dont do sh!t exept make the computer work lol. Thanx for feedback. My roomate will be happy to hear that he wont just get 512 but 768. The main problem is that 256 is too little and whenever you run a couple of progz the 256 are used up and then it starts using the hard drive as ram and that is when the hard drive overheats and dies.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:38 PM   #5
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Tell your room mate to throw out that dell and buy a new computer. Rambus is a pain in the ass and expensive.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote