Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 02-06-2004, 12:02 PM   #16
zevolv
Regular User

For good deals on anything computers including RAM go to www.pricewatch.com make sure you know what kind of RAM you can use and the maximum amount your mobo can read. RAM is random access memory when you run a program the files are taken from the Hard Drive and put on the RAM that's why the more the better and corrupt means lock up or freeze. RAM is deleted every time you shut off your computer or restart it. And what tigerx said the more isn't always the best if you get more than your computer can read then you wasted money and the computer wont access any of the Memory on the stick with the extra amount rendering the entire piece useless. AND please make sure you know what kind to get since there are different forms. PC2700 and PC133
Old 02-06-2004, 04:13 PM   #17
draak666
Regular User

Originally Posted by geekdiggy
how much does a new RAM cost? (wtf is RAM anyway?)
Dammit, geek... you really are a newbie to this, aren't you?
draak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 04:37 PM   #18
yg60m
Regular User

A 256 mb DDR SDRam stick cost me 35 $.
I also had a lot of pb wednesday, i had to re-install everything.
geekdiggy, i saw you changed your location
Old 02-07-2004, 01:40 AM   #19
geekdiggy
Regular User

Originally Posted by draak666
Originally Posted by geekdiggy
how much does a new RAM cost? (wtf is RAM anyway?)
Dammit, geek... you really are a newbie to this, aren't you?
you have no idea ops:

hard to hit in only three tries.
geekdiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 02:05 AM   #20
geekdiggy
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
ive also had problems lately of my puter shutting down. i downloaded, and installed new drivers, and the problem went away, hope this helps geekdiggy
where can i download new drivers? i download a new one for windows media player like six months ago. do new drivers take up a lot of HD space?

Old 02-07-2004, 12:19 PM   #21
zevolv
Regular User

the drivers should overwrite the old ones so little space will be taken, just go to your manufacturers website so Emachines site and they will have them all there.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:40 PM   #22
DeMoN
Regular User

could be the powersuplly, the powersuply cable, or the Pentium chip getting hot due to the fan not working. Open your computer up and se if the fan works. If the chip gets too hot, it will shut off automatically so that it doesnt melt.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:56 PM   #23
i_hate_the_enzo
Regular User

check your processor, if its outdated, it could mess up, and the computer may shut off. download new virus protection/scanner. it cant be the ram, because if it is, the computer wont start at all, it will just make funny sounds. you may also want to check your breaker in your house, it may be getting overloaded. if it was a driver problem, you would have known from the start. if your harddrive doesnt have at least 10% if its space left, that could be a serious problem. it could also be a trojan horse (virus) that just shuts off your computer when you open a certain program. another thing you may want to check out, is it the entire computer, or just the monitor, because i helped a guy with the same problem. also check your power cable, it may have a short. if you want more help, i guess just give me a private message. you may get a virus that your virus protection cannot pick up when you download anything. hope i helped a little, if not, sorry.
i_hate_the_enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 04:31 AM   #24
Riese1825
Regular User

EVERYONE SHOULD DOWNLOAD A PROGRAM CALLED AD-AWARE 6.0. THIS IS POSSIBLY THE GREATEST THING I HAVE EVER DOWNLOADED. IT'S A MUST AFTER YOU HAVE KAZAA OR ANY PROGRAM LINKED WITH SPYWARE. THANK GOD FOR LAVA-SOFT AND THEIR FREE PROGRAM. AND DON'T WORRY, THIS PROGRAM IS NOT SOME CRAPPY WAY TO SCAM YOU OUT OF MONEY OR TONS OF STUFF TO FILL OUT. THIS PROGRAM LOOKS AS IF IT COULD BE $50 OR MORE. IT'S GREAT. DOWNLOAD IT THIS INSTENCE.
Riese1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 04:49 AM   #25
Fleischmann
Regular User

Well, it's defiantely not because of the RAM. IMO it's the power supply or just your processor gettin' overheated. I think the 'safety value' for AMD is 70 degrees Celsius and for Pentium....hmmm...as far as I remember it's 60, I'm not certain though.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:46 AM   #26
enigmatic
Regular User

so whats the deal, diggy? has it all been fixed now or havn't you had any luck?
let us know!
Old 03-02-2004, 03:05 AM   #27
geekdiggy
Regular User

yup i figured it out a few weeks ago. it turned out to be a heating problem. basically every airway in and out of my comp has been plugged with dust, and still needs to be disassembled partially and blasted with air. i'm too lazy/scared to do that so all i did was clean the grille of my 4 foot floor fan and stand it up in front of my computer desk and face it to the hard drive and it blows good enough to keep the harddrive cool. haven't had a problem since

Old 03-02-2004, 03:06 AM   #28
geekdiggy
Regular User

Originally Posted by Riese1825
EVERYONE SHOULD DOWNLOAD A PROGRAM CALLED AD-AWARE 6.0. THIS IS POSSIBLY THE GREATEST THING I HAVE EVER DOWNLOADED.
no need to recommend that since i think everyone already uses it, but if i could suggest something to you, get that caps lock button fixed