Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 02-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default Interesting interview about the future of racing games

With
Nigel Kershaw, game director at MotorStorm maker Evolution Studios
Gareth Wilson and Gerard Talbot, lead designers on the Project Gotham series at Bizarre Creations
Guy Wilday, studio director at Sega Racing Studio
Gavin Raeburn, executive producer on Codemasters’ Dirt and the forthcoming Race Driver: Grid.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=9150&Itemid=2
Old 02-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

NFS keeps getting worse, that is why its not selling..... whats that age old addage " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :-\
Old 02-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
pilotvtm
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
NFS keeps getting worse, that is why its not selling..... whats that age old addage " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :-\
Richard Burns is the BEST!!!

pilotvtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
Exactly - this quote:

Kershaw: Americans have a very different attitude to their racing drivers – look at Nascar. They’re all country heroes, and people in the northern states think they’re hicks. But it’s a good spectator sport – I worked on the IndyCar series which is about turning left for 200 laps, but it’s great to watch because you get the spectacle of people crashing and you can see the whole track. But to actually play it – I actually fell asleep when I was tuning the game.
...says it all. The industry themselves have become so succesful, they have lost focus on the end game - sort of like bernie Egostone etal...

They forget they are there for the customers to buy what they produce - if it is good enough - instead of just having the same crap shoved down our throats because some marketing focus group and some accountants said that the title needs to ship to keep the company's stock boyant.

This is why the ranTourismo franchise, while not perfect by any means, has such a following - it has improved with each edition.

And crap like this:

Wilday: It’s interesting what the supercar makers are doing with their cars. Ferrari have got this little switch on some of their steering wheels that allows inexperienced drivers to pull off stylish driving techniques like drifting.
...shows they are really out of touch.... did I miss when Ferrari started shipping cars with a "Drift" button on the wheel?

If those clowns represent the engineering core of driving game producers then driving/racing games are doomed...

Last edited by RC45; 02-27-2008 at 07:13 PM.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
...shows they are really out of touch.... did I miss when Ferrari started shipping cars with a "Drift" button on the wheel?

If those clowns represent the engineering core of driving game producers then driving/racing games are doomed...

This is why Sims like GTR and Rfactor keep growing... we, the consumer have a growing need for quality products that mimic real life; while the large developers float further and further downstream from that focus. This is one reason that the GT series continues to blow the competition out of the water. While it may not be a pure Sim, it keeps giving the feeling that it is closer to a real - life counterpart with each generation.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Hahaha. I can see that you've already adopted RC's rant on your sig, Nth.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
silentm
Regular User

Looking around this table, I don’t think that any of us are completely happy with our tech, visuals, gameplay. Especially visuals.
until the day that these fucking idiots don't realize that if the game isn't fun it won't sell, the graphics alone won't save them, they will ultimately fail. when was the last time you played a game that was fun for days on end? (and fuck no i'm not talking about a 10 hour action CoD5 trip)
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
Pokiou
Regular User

grand turismo 5 prologue.. and also Rfactor.. hours and days on end !
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:48 AM   #9
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Just watch Tiff Needel's review of the F430, the traction control settings are just as technical as the GT-R's setup.

The F430 has settings that will allow you just enough oversteer dramatics before spinning.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:52 AM   #10
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex View Post
Just watch Tiff Needel's review of the F430, the traction control settings are just as technical as the GT-R's setup.

The F430 has settings that will allow you just enough oversteer dramatics before spinning.
So the F430 Manicotti-Pastrami dial has C for Cruise, R for Race and D for Drift now?

I am still not cutting these guys any slack - the majority o fthe teams still dont get it that Replays, PhotoMode, Force Feedback Support and some Tuning are inportant factors, and that Driving/Racing games will never be "mainstream" however they can cross genres and group boundries (like the GT franchise has) if they do it right, and stop trying to just churn crap out like a sausage factory.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:40 AM   #11
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by silentm View Post
until the day that these fucking idiots don't realize that if the game isn't fun it won't sell, the graphics alone won't save them, they will ultimately fail. when was the last time you played a game that was fun for days on end? (and fuck no i'm not talking about a 10 hour action CoD5 trip)
Forza 2 kept me up until 5:00 AM 3 or 4 nights in a row . . . it was getting ridiculous.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
silentm
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
Forza 2 kept me up until 5:00 AM 3 or 4 nights in a row . . . it was getting ridiculous.
well i would call that a ray of light on a cloudy day
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #13
Pokiou
Regular User

^^^ forza 2 is good till you compare it to GT5... then it looks animationiy... seriously the crash engine is great... i love it on Forza 2. but once i saw Forza 2 on 1080p and GT5 on 1080p... i was sold.... GT5 is the winner.
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:40 AM   #14
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pokiou View Post
^^^ forza 2 is good till you compare it to GT5... then it looks animationiy... seriously the crash engine is great... i love it on Forza 2. but once i saw Forza 2 on 1080p and GT5 on 1080p... i was sold.... GT5 is the winner.
Hmm.. 1080p? This they release a different Forza2 version Down Under? My copy s only 1080i... bloody Micro$haft...
Old 03-07-2008, 01:56 AM   #15
HeilSvenska
Regular User

It's 1080i.