Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 09-20-2005, 04:53 AM   #1
ducati998
Regular User

Default ferrari 456 GTA, need info!

hi guys,

my boss is looking at a 2001 ferrari 456 in Australia. he needs an auto as unfortunately he has a crook left leg and as a result can't clutch for long periods of time.

he says that along the line they changed the suspension, he seems to think it was when the 550 was introduced but he's not sure and he wants to know how it changed. he also wants to know about the auto transmision and whether or not it is any good.

anyone's experiences would help a whole heap here, he's had one before but it was before he did his leg so he really wants the car but needs auto so anyone who knows much about the car and its history please give up any info you've got, every bit helps.

thanks guys and girls!!
ducati998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:15 AM   #2
dingo
Regular User

I'm not aware of any suspension upgrades for the 456, the 550 did have the Fiorano handling pack as an option if thats what you mean. The 456 actually had very few changes throughout its production.

As for the auto I've read in a few places that its a very good one - but can't give you much more than that.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:20 AM   #3
ducati998
Regular User

thanks mate, p.s. nice website if it's your's. my bro and I were on it the other day, so good to see these cars in familiar settings rather than in monaco or somwwhere like that. awesome.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:28 AM   #4
dingo
Regular User

Another thing I forgot to mention, apparently the auto is very expensive to repair or in the worst case to replace. So in that regards the manual would be the cheaper option.

Obviously buying a GTA thats had a major service done on the auto would be a wise option.

Originally Posted by ducati998
thanks mate, p.s. nice website if it's your's. my bro and I were on it the other day, so good to see these cars in familiar settings rather than in monaco or somwwhere like that. awesome.
Thanks - yeah the website is mine, and all pics on it are taken by me.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:15 AM   #5
ckakats
Regular User

the 456 auto is a controversonnal auto, not an F1 fearbox. It is a 4 speed full automatic only. I am not aware if any suspension changes. The only change that i know is the facelift from 456GT/A to 456MGT/A
ckakats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by ckakats
...It is a 4 speed full automatic only. ....
and who said it wasn't?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:13 AM   #7
|Nuno|
Regular User

456, huh? Very nice choice. Your boss has good taste. 8)

The Auto transmissions sucks, compared to the modern ones. And if anything goes wrong with it...lets just say that I wouldn't want to be in your boss's position. It really is very expensive to fix. On the bright side, it seems to be reliable.

The rear shocks have been modified (that's the only suspension change that I'm aware of).

Windows can be an issue; the "thrust" requires adjustment and they need to be alligned every couple of years, but it's not a major issue.

Front seats can also give some headaches. They are supposed to go forward when pulled forward then back once set back is returned to the normal position. Sometimes the potentiometer gets overdriven and the seat can get in an ackward position.

Transaxle is the only major issue, but it's not a problem unless the car is EXTREMELY abused.

The retractable headlights should be used often, because if they aren't, they can jam (easy fix though).

Also, tell your boss to check if the water hose under the inlet manifold has been upgraded. And check the motor mounts too.

And that's about it, when it comes to bugs. They may seem a lot but by now, most, if not all, should be solved. And from what I've seen so far, apart from this little gremlins, the 456 is a VERY reliable car.

My advice is to get a PPI done before purchase and avoid garage queens.

Hope I could help.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:17 AM   #8
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by |Nuno|

The Auto transmissions sucks, compared to the modern ones.
Which 'modern' ones are you comparing it too? The newer Ferrari's don't have a true automatic, so a bit hard to compare.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:34 AM   #9
|Nuno|
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo

Which 'modern' ones are you comparing it too? The newer Ferrari's don't have a true automatic, so a bit hard to compare.

Mercedes, BMW, etc... To compare gerboxes (especially Automatics, since most of the time they're not developed by the car makers alone), you don't necessarily have to resume to the same car maker. And maybe I didn't express myself correctly... I should have said that it sucks compared to the manual and that it's dated compared to the newer Autos.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:57 AM   #10
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo

Mercedes, BMW, etc... To compare gerboxes (especially Automatics, since most of the time they're not developed by the car makers alone), you don't necessarily have to resume to the same car maker. And maybe I didn't express myself correctly... I should have said that it sucks compared to the manual and that it's dated compared to the newer Autos.
Fair point....thanks.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:09 AM   #11
ducati998
Regular User

thanks heaps nuno, extremely informative. looks like I'll be in the good books at work tomorrow. my boss used to have a manual 456 until he did his leg but it was a very early one and he had heard something about the suspesion but wasn't sure what, do you know which year the suspension upgrade came in.

also if you don't mind me asking how is it that you know so many intricate details about the 456, not questioning your knowledge just be interested to know where you found it all.

thanks again.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:14 AM   #12
|Nuno|
Regular User

thanks heaps nuno, extremely informative.
No problem.

do you know which year the suspension upgrade came in.

Sorry, no. It wasn't anything major so it's hard to find info.

also if you don't mind me asking how is it that you know so many intricate details about the 456, not questioning your knowledge just be interested to know where you found it all.

www.ferrarichat.com

Plus some books, etc...
Old 09-24-2005, 10:39 PM   #13
e46drew
Regular User

Here is some info I read today

by Michael Sheehan
(Sports Car Market—December 2002 issue)
The Ferrari 456 GT was introduced to the US market in 1994 and touted as a born–again replacement for the 365 GTB/4 Daytona. According to Ferrari North America then–President Gian–Luigi Buitoni, “We have clients today who don’t want to give up the performance of a Testarossa, but they must have more room.” Hence, the token 2+2 seating. The reality is that the 456 GT, with its less–than–svelte styling and additional passenger capacity, was more accurately a replacement for the 365 GTC/4, the less–sporty sister of the Daytona.

Fitted with a 48–valve, four–cam, 5.5–liter V12 that puts out 442 hp, the 456 offers staggering performance in the 2+2 class. The US version blasts through the quarter–mile in 13.4 seconds at 107.5 mph, and tops out at 186 mph. The user–friendly cockpit, luxurious seating, easily read gauges and six–speed shifter make driving a pleasure and, as a dad who knows, ten–year–old twins think the rear seats are great.

Unfortunately, like every other Ferrari 2+2 ever built, the 456 GT and the later 456 M have not fared well in the marketplace, depreciating like stones. Priced at $245,000 out–the–door when new, a prudent buyer should be able to find a nice 1995 456 GT with well under 30,000 miles and with the 30,000–mile service completed for about $85,000.

There were no 1996 models; add $5,000 plus a little per model year for a 1997 or 1998. While the asking prices for 1999–2002 456 Ms and GTAs run from $150,000 to $195,000, the real selling prices are in the $115,000 to $140,000 range. The 1995 456s should be considered nearly fully depreciated, and offer a lot of modern–day performance for a reasonable sum.

The 550 Maranello was introduced in 1996 and truly was the replacement for the 365 GTB/4. Like the Daytona, the 550 Maranello is an aggressively styled car with its cut–off tail and long–nosed good looks. Fitted with a 5.5–liter, 48–valve V12 that pushes out 485 horsepower at 7,000 rpm, the 550 has a top speed of 199 mph and will rip through the quarter–mile in 12.6 seconds. A total of 3,600 Maranellos were built for the world market during a model run from 1996 to 2002. Today a US–legal, European 1996 or 1997 550 Maranello is in the $115,000 to $125,000 range, while low–mileage 1997 or 1998 US cars are available in the $135,000 to $145,000 range. 1999–2002 models can be found for $160,000 to $185,000.

Thinking of buying a 456 or a 550 in Europe or Japan and importing it into the US? The friendly price for a 1997 550 Maranello, with less than 15,000 miles, all services done, in good colors and with the more desirable options such as power Daytona–style seats, is about $90,000 in Europe.

To get your new purchase to the US and legalized will require trucking to the docks in Europe (about $300); a European shipping agent who can coordinate containerizing the car and do the necessary export paperwork (about $500); shipping to the US (about $1,500 to the East Coast or $2,000 to the West Coast); customs entry fee ($300); US customs duty (2.5%, or about $2,250); a customs bond to guarantee the EPA and DOT will indeed be done (about $3,000); a bond application fee (about $250); and trucking from the dock in the US to the conversion shop that will do the work (about $100 to $200).

Then you’ve got the actual EPA and DOT conversion work (at least $12,500); the EPA and DOT warranty (at $350 each); and last but not least, the lab test processing fee ($900). The grand total ends up being about $22,300 to $22,900. As anyone who has gone through the process knows, there are always little surprises and added costs, including the trip to Europe to actually inspect the car before handing over your hard–earned $90,000.

All–up cost is about $112,500 for a car that will have an “ask” price in the $125,000 range and an actual “sell” price of somewhat less.

As a moneymaking proposition, the math doesn’t work well for a 550 (and even less well for a 456, which explains why there are very few Euro 456s in the US). Bluntly, the only reason to buy a Euro model 550 today is to use the car on a high–speed drive–it–like–Enzo–intended European dream vacation before bringing it home to our land of grand highways and pathetic speed limits. This assumes, of course, that while in Europe your 550 isn’t stolen while parked in a supposedly secure spot in front of a hotel or restaurant.

As for the costs and pitfalls of ownership, the early 550s run much too much oil pressure and occasionally blow the oil filter apart, creating a major underhood mess. Should the oil filter start to leak as an inattentive owner cruises down the freeway, cheerfully chatting on his cell phone, a Ferrari dealer will be happy to install a new engine for a mere $75,000 or so. A rebuild will be in excess of $30,000 if you haven’t managed to spin bearings or score the crank. Preventing the problem is as simple as removing a few spacers in the oil system, which involves an hour’s labor, and drops the oil pressure to real–world levels.

The circlip holding reverse gear to the gear cluster sometimes fails on the earlier 550s, resulting in major transaxle repair bills. If your 550 (or 456) pops out of reverse, truck it to your friendly local Ferrari service center and have the transaxle pulled and the circlip and reverse gear replaced at a cost of about $3,500. Choose to drive the car with the transaxle making ominous sounds and the repair bill will quickly will increase to about $7,500, after the reverse gear has bounced around in the transaxle like a ball in a squash court for a while.

As for factory recalls, the door windows sometimes don’t seal well against the rear quarter windows. If you have a US car your authorized dealer should replace the electric window motors, door glass and seals—normally an $8,000 bill—at no cost. Be prepared, if necessary, to throw a temper tantrum to get the work covered under warranty. The earlier 550s also had a wheel recall, so make sure the car you are buying—be it a Euro or US car— has had the wheels replaced under recall notice.

Clutches, traditionally a weak spot in Ferraris, or perhaps more realistically a weak spot with novice Ferrari drivers, don’t seem to be a problem. It is not uncommon to do a compression and leakdown check on low–mileage 456 and 550 Ferraris and find major problems with poor ring seating and leaky valve seats. If the compression on a car you have inspected is weak, pass and keep looking.

As for routine service, the cam and front seals tend to start leaking after about 10,000 miles, so most owners skip the 15,000–mile service and simply go straight to the 30,000–mile service, which includes cam seals, cam belts, valve adjustment and more at a cost of about $3,500.

At about $85,000 for a very good ’95 456 or $125,000 for a ’96 550, we are talking just over 365 GTC/4 or 365 GTB/4 prices for much more modern and user–friendly cars. Yes, they are expensive to maintain, but as the saying goes: premium product, premium price. And, no offense to VW, don’t you think you’ll get more respect at the car wash when you pull up in your V12 456 Ferrari than in your new similarly priced VW W12 Phaeton, even if you start bragging that it’s the “most expensive Volkswagen in the world?”
www.facebook.com/AndyIrelandAgency
e46drew is offline   Reply With Quote