Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 06-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #31
RC45
Regular User

Rocks, birds and tyre scratches - all part of road hazards.

Simple ecplanation - when you drive around cones you stress your tyres more than street driving - often the tyre sidwall may make momentary contact with the road surface - this can happen even when making rapid transitions at 15 mph.

Let your dad know the maximum speeds reached yesterday were about 38mph - and that you were taking tunrs at abou 20mph.

Seems it may be time for us to get your father out and exposed the world a little - he may yet regret selling the Porsche afterall.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #32
ZfrkS62
Regular User

oscar, this is where tire pressures really make a difference. The last autocross i participated in, i had my front tires set at about 40psi. the lancers were setting their rears at about 38 and fronts at 36 IIRC. Next time you do this, mark the shoulders of your tires with dabs of paint and after each run observe where the paint is rubbing off at. If the paint remains on the sidewall, you need more air. If the paint remains on the tread, take air out. You want it right on the shoulder where the sidewall meets the tread. This should prevent the cuts you are talking about.

But definetly take RC's advise and bring your dad to the next event. I am sure he'll have a blast.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:56 PM   #33
RC45
Regular User

Here you go:

I think from now on, anytime there is a JW crew get together, we should have abanner created, and a thread (such as this one) the a special section for Already held JW crew events (not for planning - but simply recording the actual event).

Then the "official baner gets stored there, along qith the event thread - maybe a sticky with the Banners being hotlinks to invidual threads.

Perhaps as folks attend more and more events we can have "thumbnail" banners so you can collect a whole bunch in your signature.

Of course, you only get to show a banner if you attend - and for it to be a "JW event" should we say at least2, or even perhaps 3 JW members need to attend?

The First Banner
Old 06-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #34
No.1
Regular User

nice idea RC!
Obviously similar things are on local(ised) forums (where meets occur more frequently), but i like the banner idea a lot :good:

and thanks for the advice guys! Todays TG made me really wanna get my ass doing some advanced driving 8)
Old 06-04-2006, 06:02 PM   #35
ZfrkS62
Regular User

the only problem i see with that is after 4 or 5 get togethers, the banner collection is going to be pretty big

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:06 PM   #36
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
the only problem i see with that is after 4 or 5 get togethers, the banner collection is going to be pretty big
But thats the idea

Enough of the bickering and infighting and bullshit that nhas become the norm lately on JW... Jabba sent me in to clean the messup and short of actually having people "rubbed out" via various contacts we have, I think this is the next best thing - encourage local JW member interaction, then share the results with the rest of the global memberships

Don't worry - there is going to be a banner that is retrofittable and will be grandfathered in to include the JW Fun Run heheh

So you get to sport a Banner too

For muti-event attendees perhaps smalley bannerettes will work in the signatures
Old 06-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #37
oscargarza88
Regular User

yea RC thats a great idea!, so this means more meets and so... thats cool with me
and about the tire thing if its normal then i dont care, because it is not very noticable, and if it doesnt hurt the tire it doesnt hurt me.
and ZfrkS62, i put 40 all around, i asked this guy with a Evo MR and he did the same thing, so i figured its good there, ill try different things next times.
And yea I probably am going to take my dad next time i want to go, he will probably suk driving though, because ive never seen him drive hard... but he will have fun.
But yea RC good idea! and thats picture is cool where are the rest? we want to see them!

*if size is a problem then mayb small ones will do the trick, or what type of banners are you talkin about? lke the one u have in ur sig right now?
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:07 PM   #38
RC45
Regular User

Gathering of the Eagles

The Cars

The Tyres and Brakes after a day of abuse

oscars new avatar

Steve testing the scrutineers savy - by leaving the "hood" open fr them to inspect his engine
Old 06-04-2006, 09:04 PM   #39
TNT
Regular User

who's silly little silver vette is that looks like great fun. i want to upgrade with some shocks, swaybar, and brakes. so i can do some auto-x
Old 06-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #40
RC45
Regular User

A sample of what is to be coming in the Video Department ...

Linky :arrow: http://media.rc45.net/media/ww3.zip
Old 06-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #41
nthfinity
Regular User

A sample of what is to be coming in the Video Department ...
well, it seems that lower weight + more hp + flatter turning does help in the skidpad department

that said, Sameer does seem to be going well

a note for future skidpad tests:

set up the tripod + video to see the whole skidpad, and have no camera movements needed (since the action is in plain view)
Old 06-05-2006, 09:54 AM   #42
TNT
Regular User

what were the numbers? just doing more laps doesn't make you the winner.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #43
sameerrao
Regular User

Yeah .. yeah .. pick on the poor, hard working, son of the soil, sole breadearning German car!! The wagon of the Volks ... the people's choice.

Do you have a video of us going the other way around?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:10 AM   #44
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SWT
what were the numbers? just doing more laps doesn't make you the winner.
?

Uhm - higher speed - higher G number - more laps in the same time - I guess if that doesn't make a winner then a snappy interior must be the ticket to the checkered flag after all.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #45
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

heheh.. WW3

Looks like you guys were having a lot of fun. I have always wanted to attend a autocross event but can never find one at the right time.

RC, taking it easy on the tires there?