Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 05-28-2006, 01:33 AM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default [edit] JW Houston AutoCross Skool - 06 *DATA*

How about it folks? If you are in the area or not in the area but plan to be in the area or you are in the area but planing on not being in the area but will return to the area or even if aren't in the area but are willing to come into the area why not join in?

How about we get together to attend the Houston SCCA "2006 Solo Rookie Skool "

http://www.houscca.com/solo/index.asp

Saturday June 3rd - 7am
2006 Solo Rookie Skool

This school will be good for almost any level driver. Beginners will get a ton of information to learn and immediately apply, and the more experienced drivers will get loads of seat time. Seat time is key to going fast and you will get more than a years worth of seat time with and instructor in one day. In the morning it will be a small class room session with a booklet to take home with you, then it is on to 6-7 separate exercises. We will then break for lunch which will be provided as well as breakfast. During the lunch break the instructors will set up an full length track for practice or until we close out the day between 4 and 6. Bring a helmet if you have one, otherwise we also have loaners. There is no obligation to run on Sunday if you attend the school.

The entry fee is $75 and you get:

Breakfast AND Lunch
1 hour Classroom
2-3 Hours Instructed Maneuvers
2 Hours Autocross Time
One Instructor for every 2 Students
A Years worth of Solo driving in one day!

Saturday June 3rd
Be there at 7:00am
Registration starts at 7:30
Class begins at 8:00
Should be over before 6:00pm
The truely hardcore may even sign up to attend the SUnday 6-4 race

Attendance Register:
C5 Z06
996 C2
S4
240SX
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:41 AM   #2
oscargarza88
Regular User

I WANT TO GO!!

thers a problem though.. my sti doesnt have 1000 miles yet!!! !! i knowy ya'll are gonna say well what r u wating for u still ahve a week.. tru.. i only have like 300 miles to go so mayb ill get them in a week.. most likelly...
but my dad doesnt really like the idea of me racing... i know.. stupid ur thinking... what more is a sti for... but well... he bought it.. his rules.. ill tell him about it, if i can ill pm u RC and ill c ya'll there!
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:41 AM   #3
sameerrao
Regular User

I signed up for it ... Thanks for the heads up.

I am going to ask the officials to widen the track when my turn comes up .. lil piggie needs a lot of room

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
FoxFour
Regular User

Originally Posted by oscargarza88
I WANT TO GO!!

thers a problem though.. my sti doesnt have 1000 miles yet!!! !! i knowy ya'll are gonna say well what r u wating for u still ahve a week.. tru.. i only have like 300 miles to go so mayb ill get them in a week.. most likelly...
but my dad doesnt really like the idea of me racing... i know.. stupid ur thinking... what more is a sti for... but well... he bought it.. his rules.. ill tell him about it, if i can ill pm u RC and ill c ya'll there!
Tell your dad how fun and educational an autocross session can be. You can learn a lot about car control in a safe environment, much more safer than running on a road course; unless you drive like an ass. Things like corner entry and extreme transient maneuvers, experiencing ABS lock-up can all be experienced in a controlled environment for the first time, compared to experiencing them in an emergency situation on the street for the first time.
He sounds like a cool dad, maybe you can persuade him to attend the school with you? Would be a great father/son bonding experience.

P.S.- Give me the keys to your car- I'll put the 300 miles on it in one day!
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
sameerrao
Regular User

I WANT TO GO!!

Bring it ... and I don't think it is racing per se. I am gonna treat it like a driver's ed session .. i.e. learn how to negotiate slalom smoothly. Not going to rip thru the gears, punish the brakes even if means bottoming the time charts...

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

i look forward to your full report Good luck for a quick time ya ol' novice
Old 05-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
oscargarza88
Regular User

FoxFour- thanks for the ideas, ill try to persuade him into it... if he doesnt want to go with me ill find a way to take myself there, mayb take a friend or brother, and i think its very much worth the money!
sameerrao- nice way to look at it, i think i will do the same, cause after all "im just a 18yo" right,, how good can a drive so yea i think being smooth is our priority... :roll:
Old 05-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #8
TopGearNL
Regular User

I would love to come mate, but Rotterdam is such a long distance away, maybe next time
Old 05-30-2006, 05:23 PM   #9
oscargarza88
Regular User

:x :x :x
i finnally get the ok from my dad to go! and its full "regrisration is colsed" !!! thers no more free spots! that sux!
RC, anything i can do?
Old 05-30-2006, 05:27 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

Well - perhaps you could make the trip in the morning and hope someone doesn't show up.

It is 7:30 registration for 8am start - I am sure there will be at least 1 no show.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:30 PM   #11
oscargarza88
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Well - perhaps you could make the trip in the morning and hope someone doesn't show up.

It is 7:30 registration for 8am start - I am sure there will be at least 1 no show.
Yea thats what i had planned, at least to meet you guys.
I emailed the person in charge to see if i could do something... i hope he replys fast. Or mayb just join the hour class and just sit out on the rest... i dont know.. ill go anywas though.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:44 PM   #12
Minacious
Regular User

Another fun gathering I can't attend because I live too far. DAMNIT!
Old 05-30-2006, 11:37 PM   #13
oscargarza88
Regular User

Ok im in!
i emailed Rich Tomlin and he made me a spot!
i have to be there very early though!
so RC whats the fastest way to get there? becaue i dont know my way around over there, or i can just go to mapquest, but whats the full adress?

* oh btw, i have 900+miles on the sti so only 100 more, which i could do in the next day or so. but does this mean i dont have to worry about anything? or should i still "baby it", even though i was 1k over in the rpm's quite often... :roll: ?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:52 PM   #14
nthfinity
Regular User

Ok im in!
i emailed Rich Tomlin and he made me a spot!
i have to be there very early though!
so RC whats the fastest way to get there? becaue i dont know my way around over there, or i can just go to mapquest, but whats the full adress?

* oh btw, i have 900+miles on the sti so only 100 more, which i could do in the next day or so. but does this mean i dont have to worry about anything? or should i still "baby it", even though i was 1k over in the rpm's quite often... :roll: ?
even exotics these days are ok down around 500 miles. you ought to be ok by now just change your oil after the autocross, and have fun, and good luck!

p.s. we'll see if an STi really does out handle a Z
Old 05-31-2006, 01:14 AM   #15
RC45
Regular User

*****DISCLAIMER******

If you attend this event that is sanctioned by the SCCA and hosted at Gulf Grehound Park, please note that you will waiving ALL rights to hold myself, Jabba, JW, nthfinity, sameerrao (hell even everson), my uncle, his dog, the guy with the rusty Hyundai as well as anyone else, living or dead, responsible for ANYTHING that may happen to you EVER.

This means you azssume ALL liability for your actions - as well as the actions of everyone everywhere in relation to this event or any other event.

By attending you hereby indemnify myself, Jabba, JW, TT and that weird guy that was banned from the site in 2004 as well as ANYONE else if anything happens to you - even if nothing happens to you - this includes but is not limited to passanger rides, video shots, shared hot cups of coffee or ANTHING else.

OK?

What ever happens is your fault - completly.

This includes acceptanc eof the "buddy ego" clause, also known as the "brass balls paragraph" that states even if your buddy offers you a ride and he then smashes headlong into a semi you assume all liability and responsiblity for all your actions and indemnify your buddy, his estate, the guys who bottle the beer he was drinking and the car manufacturer as well as the facility where met your demise.