Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Jokes and Humour

Jokes and Humour Got a joke, funny picture or video to share? Post it here

Old 01-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #91
Stoopie
Regular User

Location: United Provinces of the Kingdom of Great Netherlands

^ LOL that's a great reason for it yes So I bet you've got everything you need over there then? Strange idea that Australia used to be a Dutch prison
Stoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #92
Mattk
Regular User

No, Australia was never Dutch. Yes, you folks were the first white guys to land, but all Dirk Hartog and his merry lost sailors did was chuck a pewter plate on the beach and sail off to make money. The Brits set up the prison.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #93
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
No, Australia was never Dutch. Yes, you folks were the first white guys to land, but all Dirk Hartog and his merry lost sailors did was chuck a pewter plate on the beach and sail off to make money. The Brits set up the prison.
Very true, what on earth are you on about Stoopie?

Don't you remember the Dutch explorer Abel Tasman? He found Tasmania (named after him) and he found New Zealand, but he missed Australia
Old 01-24-2007, 05:37 AM   #94
Stoopie
Regular User

^ Hm I really thought Australia used to be our prison, well must've switched things then. What I'm trying to say is: I love beer.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:46 AM   #95
Stoopie
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Originally Posted by Mattk
Very true, what on earth are you on about Stoopie?

Don't you remember the Dutch explorer Abel Tasman? He found Tasmania (named after him) and he found New Zealand, but he missed Australia
Oh btw, I did some research: he really did find Australia. In 1606, the Dutch ship Duyfken found unknown land, and they entered that in the Gulf of Carpentaria, in the north of Australia. 10 years later, another Dutch ship reached the westcoast of Australia and the captains of the two ships named it 'New Holland'. In 1642 captain Abel Tasman (your guy TGNL) rounded things up by discovering 'Van Diemensland' (now called Tasmania) and discovered Australia was an island. In 1768, James Cook and his men discovered the eastcoast of Australia and named it 'New South Wales'. After that, they decided to head north, and on January 26th 1788 they reached land on a place which we now call Sydney!

>> So TGNL sorry but you're wrong here, he really did reach Australia!

>> And yes Mattk, you're right, the British used the island as a prison for they overcrowded situation back home.. ops:
Old 01-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #96
Mattk
Regular User

After that, they decided to head north, and on January 26th 1788 they reached land on a place which we now call Sydney!
That wasn't Cook. This was the First Fleet with Capt. Arthur Phillip. And Cook actually arrived in 1770, whilst on an expedition around the world on behalf of the Royal Society.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #97
TopGearNL
Regular User

So TGNL sorry but you're wrong here, he really did reach Australia!
I never said he didn't

But we didn't own Australia, well not all of it..
Old 01-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #98
Stoopie
Regular User

So TGNL sorry but you're wrong here, he really did reach Australia!
I never said he didn't

But we didn't own Australia, well not all of it..
Nope, only the northern and western part, the rest was British I suppose.

And if you say he missed Australia, I assume you mean he didn't reach it or he didn't get there...
Old 01-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #99
TopGearNL
Regular User

And if you say he missed Australia, I assume you mean he didn't reach it or he didn't get there...
He missed it at first, thats why the Brits found it sooner
Old 01-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #100
Stoopie
Regular User

Thought you thought that already: Tasman found Australia in 1648, Cook in 1768!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #101
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by Stoopie
Thought you thought that already: Tasman found Australia in 1648, Cook in 1768!
LOL that line makes no sense at all..

What do you mean?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #102
Stoopie
Regular User

You said the Brits found Australia sooner, well Tasman found Australia in 1648, and Cook in 1768! So the Dutch actually were 120 years earlier
Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #103
TopGearNL
Regular User

You said the Brits found Australia sooner, well Tasman found Australia in 1648, and Cook in 1768! So the Dutch actually were 120 years earlier
That is true, Im not gonna argue about facts.

But:
After sporadic visits by fishermen from the north and by European explorers and merchants starting in the seventeenth century, the eastern half of the mainland was claimed by the British in 1770
Vanuit het oogpunt van de VOC waren Tasmans ontdekkingen een mislukking: hij had geen geschikt handelsgebied gevonden, noch verbeterde zeeroutes naar bekende gebieden. Gedurende meer dan een eeuw (tot de tijd van James Cook), zou de reis van Tasman het enige Europese bezoek aan Tasmanië en Nieuw-Zeeland blijven. Australië werd nog wel enkele malen bezocht, maar meestal alleen bij toeval.
So it wasn't found by the British first, but they did own it and might have not been the real founders in theory, but in real life...
Old 01-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #104
Stoopie
Regular User

We're talking about facts here, and in fact the Dutch discovered it, in contrary to what you said That's what my point here, not what happened in real life. And even though, in real life it was still discovered by the Dutch, though it may have not been to any use for the VOC, they still got there before the British did.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #105
TopGearNL
Regular User

We're talking about facts here, and in fact the Dutch discovered it, in contrary to what you said That's what my point here, not what happened in real life. And even though, in real life it was still discovered by the Dutch, though it may have not been to any use for the VOC, they still got there before the British did.
True but what I mean is that if he would have found it even sooner, on his first voyage and found a different part then he actual did maybe he could have claimed it just like the british did. The british found the ''real'' Australia since Tasman only found worthless desert or so..

So Im not saying your wrong, thats stupid since its facts but its not the entire story