Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Favourite TV Shows and Movies

Favourite TV Shows and Movies This is the place to discuss you favourite TV Shows and Movies

Old 05-26-2006, 11:56 AM   #16
HeilSvenska
Regular User

How hot is Mystik in her un-mutant form!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ******
Meh, I saw that in the trailer.

I heard that the plot's kind of iffy, but I'm going to watch it today anyways.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #17
Sir_GT
Regular User

Ok, here's my explanation why it sucked (copy and pasted it from my blog because it's not a movie that's worth the effort of writing two posts)

I saw the film the other day (Wednesday) with Jenn, my co-dork (Let's just admit it dear, shall we?), and after X-Men 2, Jenn and I were expecting a lot from X-Men 3. I mean hey, why not? It was about Dark Phoenix after all, the single greatest storyline in the history of X-Men. Anybody familiar with comicbooks knows this. I swear, I was so excited I was actually becoming agitated when all these people were trying to find their seats when the lights went off. The movie hasn't actually started yet, but the whole time people were walking in front of me, I was holding back myself from shouting out "Get the f*ck out of my face people! It's f*cking X-Men 3!"

Yes. I know. I am a dork.

So as the movie started, and as the story started to unravel, I was really starting to get into it. A cure for the mutant gene? What an interesting concept to throw in. A mutant whose power is to suppress the powers of other mutants? Hmmm... all these possibilities started flowing into my head... "Are they going to use him to suppress the dark phoenix power?" That would be an interesting twist I thought.

Well, twist is right. Because as the story went on, a gigantic cloud of doubt with "Oh My God They Are Going To F*ck This Up" started to hover above me. This is the Dark Phoenix saga right? So where are the Hellfire Club? Where's Jason Wynngarde? The man whose power is to create hallucinations in people's minds. He was the man that created hallucinations in Jean Grey's mind, posing as her lover from the past, and thus awakening her Dark Phoenix power when he convinced her to join the Hellfire Club as the Black Queen.

Then the whole thing just started going horribly, horribly wrong.

Who just died? Who else died? Well, just the two most important characters in the Dark Phoenix saga! Wolverine was practically a non-entity in that story, and yet, the two most important characters were killed off! Oh blimey, I thought, if the rumors are true, and this is supposed to be the last X-Men film, then they certainly went out with the biggest fart in hollywood history.

I won't spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it, but I seriously cannot recommend this to either comicbook or non-comicbook fans alike. As a film, X-Men 3 is as cliche and as cheesy as they come. Personally, I thought it was the worst among the 3 X-Men films (yes, even worse than the first) if I was looking at it from a movie go-er's perspective. As a comic-to-film adaptation... well... let's just say that they actually figured out how to completely butcher one of the best storylines ever written. Well done mates. I think if a fourth one comes out, I'll just download it on bittorrent. At least I won't waste P500.

So in conclusion?

Movie: X-Men 3: The Last Stand
Verdict: 2 out of 5
Comment: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #18
Shinigami
Regular User

So basically you didn't like it because the movie was different from the comic book?

Well, I haven't read much Marvel comics, so the movie was just right for me. Who was I to know what the phoenix was and so on.. so it seemed all just fine for me.

TT: I was in the "Galleries" cinema near the railway station in Lausanne.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:47 PM   #19
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by insane
Sounds to me like you're just pissed because the movie was not made completely after the source matherial. Which in essence doesn't really tell anything about how good the movie is. My guess is that it's much better then you say...
\

Not at all. In fact, all three X-Men films didn't follow the comic books. Thing is, the first two X-Men films were good as stand-alone films. Especially X-Men 2. The direction of the film, the script, and where they placed the main plot points were well done. It was a film you would want to see from start to finish.

X-Men 3 is a far cry from that. You could predict what was going to happen next, and when you thought or expected something to happen, instead of a clever twist being utilized, you end up with a half-assed one. The use of the mutant gene-suppressing kid is a perfect example. The drug was the backbone of the story, and they dedicated quite a few significant scenes to the boy (such as his little way of greeting Beast), building him up to be quite a character in the story.

And then... nothing happened. So the little X-Men girl pushed him away just in time for him to cancel out Juggernaut's powers... which sounds good on paper, but in the film, you could see that scene from a mile away.

The film was just so predictable... It was riddled with cliches and cheesy scenes. The scene wherein Magneto goes "what have I done..." was so poorly executed it was nearly a parody.

Seriously. It was a crap movie. Compared to Spiderman 1 & 2, X-Men 1 & 2, V for Vendetta, and Batman Begins? X-Men 3 was shite. Sorry. It really just was.
Sir_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:26 PM   #20
TT
Regular User

As others, I am not a fan of Marvel comics, so from that point of view I have no opinion.. as for cliches or predictable outcome, IMO such things doesn't necessarily spoil the plot.. this is an action movie afterall, and ppl want action, not intricated plots to follow. It was a very entertaining action movie.. IMO it just depends from which perspective you look at it :bah:
Old 05-26-2006, 11:54 PM   #21
DeMoN
Regular User

I totally forgot this started to be shown on theaters! Damn, gotta go see it!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:51 AM   #22
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Meh, Sir_GT, I don't go to the movies as a critic. I go to the movies to be entertained. I'm sorry if you weren't entertained, but that's no valid reason to say that the movie was crap. I thought it was really good (although that's not a valid reason to say it wasn't a bad movie). Granted, the movie, by its unique nature, cannot have profound character development, but I thought it had many surprising twists. And yes, you have to remember that this was a movie made from a freakin comic book! It was a good action/sci-fi movie. And the special effects. The special effects were awesome. So people go watch it to have fun, not to criticize it. If you aren't satisfied, you can always petition for a refund.

And everyone who are going to see it. Stick around till the end of the end credit there's something you may want to see.

By the way X2 didn't do anything for me. The plot was okay, but it nearly had zero character development.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:50 AM   #23
Zot09
Regular User

I found it to be a pretty good movie. The story was pretty well written, and kept me and my 15-other dorm-mates entertained. Just to tell you guys, you deffinitly have to watch this clip on youtube before you watch the movie.
http://youtube.com/watch?search=jugg...&v=P8mXPtCZDd0
After you watch it(or if you already have and didn't get it) it will make you laugh sooooo hard during the movie(it made all of my friends and me laugh, so i'm sure it will do the same for you). It was worth my $9; I give the movie a 8/10. [/b]
Old 05-27-2006, 02:00 AM   #24
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Pah. I paid just $5! That Juggernaut scene was hilarious.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:02 AM   #25
Caplax40
Regular User

^^^^^^^^^ It says I have to sign up, but if that's the "JUGGERNAUT BITCH!" movie, then that is absolutely hilarious!!

I just got back from seeing it and thought it was a great movie.

Two questions though: Does anyone know if the whole Juggernaut phrase was in the movie before the cartoon parody was created? My friends and I were trying to figure this out. It doesn't seem like they'd insert such an obscure reference, but who knows.

And can someone explain to me (maybe via pm?) the very last clip that aired after the credits? I guess I don't know the background behind it, but the theater erupted after it aired!!
Caplax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:14 AM   #26
HeilSvenska
Regular User

I can't ruin it for people, so I'll pm you.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:37 AM   #27
Sir_GT
Regular User

Admittedly I didn't stick around for the after credits part either. Could you pm me too HeilSvenska.

As for my opinion: Hey, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the film. That means you didn't feel like you wasted your money. Maybe I expected too much because of the dark phoenix factor, but I know I wasn't alone in my disappointment because my girl was just as disappointed, and so were quite a few people in the theater.

I still stand by what I said though. I really do feel like they ruined what they could have potentially done with the dark phoenix storyline.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:19 AM   #28
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska
I can't ruin it for people, so I'll pm you.
Me too, pretty please
Old 05-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #29
Mr.Vercetti
Regular User

I saw it on Thursday and all I can say is that it was my fav. Xmen movie. Yeah.. a lot of heroes died.. yeah it was a bit short.. but the story was amazing, the variety of heroes was vast and it was pretty well directed. I have a feeling though that it wont be the last Xmen movie despite the fact that Marvel had announced from the Xmen 1 that there were going to be only 2 sequels. Do you also have this feeling guys?
Old 05-27-2006, 08:57 PM   #30
Caplax40
Regular User

Did you guys catch Stan Lee's cameo?
Caplax40 is offline   Reply With Quote