Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Favourite TV Shows and Movies

Favourite TV Shows and Movies This is the place to discuss you favourite TV Shows and Movies

Old 06-30-2005, 12:38 AM   #1
Max Power

Default War of the Worlds

just saw it...thought it was pretty good, funny at times, hilarious at others ... when Tim Robbins makes his 1st appearance ... if I was to complain about something is that it was too vague
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:56 AM   #2
ARMAN
Regular User

Deffinitly gonna see this, Spilberg do nice movies. Just saw Letterman show with Cruise and it convinced me to see it 8)

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
a007apl
Regular User

http://www.waroftheworlds.com/
a007apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #4
ARMAN
Regular User

this is good cruise and spilberg interveiewind each other http://movies.aol.com/feature/unscri...uise_spielberg

.................................................. .............................
Old 06-30-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
TransAm
Regular User

I think there are a lot of 'remakes' at the moment - flight of the phoenix, now WOTW (although originally a radio show), however I think I'll still want to see this. As with most things, I'll wait for the DVD release as my wife will only half watch it so it's unfair to drag her to the cinema.

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #6
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by TransAm2001
I think there are a lot of 'remakes' at the moment - flight of the phoenix, now WOTW (although originally a radio show), however I think I'll still want to see this. As with most things, I'll wait for the DVD release as my wife will only half watch it so it's unfair to drag her to the cinema.
I think Spilberg got his hands on a radio transript and wanted to make the movie then (around 15 years ago) but independence day just came up and it seemed like a bad move for him @ the time
Old 07-03-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
gis
Regular User

just got back this minute from watching this,i enjoyed it a lot.thought it was great,but i did have just 1 problem,i personally thought to much was put into 2 hours.but other than that i thought it was great

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 07:00 PM   #8
Overmind
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ronin005
and the way they were defeated blahhhhhhhhhhh
and the ending blahhhhhhhhh
It's an adaptation of the book and that is how it ended... humanity didn't stand a chance and survived the attack by pure luck.

now i know there was a tv show like this when i was younger, were they defeated the same way in the show??
If they held true to the novel then yes, it has ended the same way.

oh and, WHY WHY does every movie that has to do with aliens always have some crazy nut job that knows how to defeat them??
And by this you mean the Tim Robbins' character?

i wanted more background on the aliens.

what was the point of them pureeing the people and then spitting them out?? what were the vines from??

after i watched it i felt like those things went unanswered, i felt like they ran out of material, and i felt like they rushed it. all in the name of making money.
Well the movie tries to follow the line of Cruise's family exclusively. You do not no see more than they do and you also do not know more than they do .

and how were the aliens defeated?? was it a chain reaction from the one that cruise used the gernades on??
No they simply got ill and died.. probably because of some of the Earth's viruses. The same virus was very likely also fatal to theirs "red weed" vegetation.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:06 PM   #9
ARMAN
Regular User

@Overmind - you've seen it? Its good?

Old 07-04-2005, 09:08 PM   #10
a007apl
Regular User

The Movie wait download in my DAP, I'll check and tel about after see that.
a007apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:38 AM   #11
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

im sorry but i didnt like it at all. WARNING *SPOILERS* the movie just left itself with nowhere to go in the end. the ending was such garbage, maybe in the book it made more sense and the author had time to explain it. but come on, bacteria killed them, they can travel through lightning bolts but cant handle some bacteria? dont they know anything about the planet they are invading, i mean they were able to observe us for thousands of years right? i am no professional at exploring new planets, but usually when invading a new planet you dont just land a spaceship and get out to test the atmosphere, you do a bit of research about where you are going.

and what were the weird veins that covered everthing? i didnt remember that being explained. and why again to the shields go down in their "tripod" things when the pilot got sick? how were thousands of machines buried underground and nobody ever knew about them? i understand the idea of having only tom and his families POV, a cool idea but come on, im not asking for a scientific explanation of everything just give me a little bit more.

the acting in the movie wasnt too bad really, the problem to me was the story. oh well thats just my opinion of this movie.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:20 AM   #12
Toronto
Regular User

they where observing, not testing
everything makes sense just need to get it I guess,
except for the fact the machines where under ground near major cities. how did they know people are going to live there in 1000's of years (well I guess then new water was a life source and peopel would live near water, ironic no?)
Old 07-05-2005, 06:03 AM   #13
Overmind
Regular User

Originally Posted by ARMAN
@Overmind - you've seen it? Its good?
Yes, I've seen it and I kinda liked it . If I was to explain my impression of the movie, I would say it was hell of a ride. The picture goes on very fast and you have almost no time to think about what is happening.

Originally Posted by JiggaStyles09
the ending was such garbage, maybe in the book it made more sense and the author had time to explain it. but come on, bacteria killed them, they can travel through lightning bolts but cant handle some bacteria? dont they know anything about the planet they are invading, i mean they were able to observe us for thousands of years right? i am no professional at exploring new planets, but usually when invading a new planet you dont just land a spaceship and get out to test the atmosphere, you do a bit of research about where you are going.
that's what you get by filming an adaptation of a 1898 book, where the aliens were martians and the red weed was a vegetation growing on mars, that's why the Mars is red .

Originally Posted by JiggaStyles09
i didnt remember that being explained. and why again to the shields go down in their "tripod" things when the pilot got sick?
tripods were biomechanical.

Originally Posted by Toronto
they where observing, not testing
everything makes sense just need to get it I guess,
except for the fact the machines where under ground near major cities. how did they know people are going to live there in 1000's of years (well I guess then new water was a life source and peopel would live near water, ironic no?)
well you happen to know that there were some tripods buried under the cities the others might have been elsewhere .

And how about I give you some crazy explanation on the movie? .

US (or whichever other) goverment run into a tripod buried under ground a couple of years before the invasion. It is of course were cept top secret. They analyze it's biomechanical structure and can't really make sense of it , but it DOES look like some fighting machine (a potential threat) and therefore a special biological weapon is developed (trust me we humans do have tens of years of experience in this field). Once the attack has been launched the virus is released, the rest is a (movie) history.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:02 AM   #14
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

hmmm, well Overmind, your explanations do make a bit more sense of the movie, however it sounds that it was much better off left as a novel rather than transformed into a summer movie "hit" starring everyones favorite star tom cruise

and i do like your idea for the ending that you gave here:

Originally Posted by Overmind
US (or whichever other) goverment run into a tripod buried under ground a couple of years before the invasion. It is of course were cept top secret. They analyze it's biomechanical structure and can't really make sense of it , but it DOES look like some fighting machine (a potential threat) and therefore a special biological weapon is developed (trust me we humans do have tens of years of experience in this field). Once the attack has been launched the virus is released, the rest is a (movie) history.

if they would have thrown that into the movie somewhere it would have helped out a lot. instead of just saying it was our bacteria, and seeing them dying off everywhere for no real reason, that was kinda weak. shit i would have preffered to see the extermination of the human race rather than the "we gave the aliens a cold" explanation lol
Old 07-05-2005, 10:13 PM   #15
Mers
Regular User

Didn't like it all that much....
I felt it was too much propaganda, too much "family message", and no emphasis on the actual war, which is a shame, because the design was great....
Could have been less sentimental...