Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 04-03-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
Regular User

Default Z06 ??

maybe repost

Old 04-03-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
T-Bird
Regular User

yep same with the red one next to it. I can't wait to see these things on the road.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

^^ yep - the performance numbers are right at the numbers for a good heads/cam modded C5...

I dislike the C5 Coupe with a passion, same goes for the C6 Coupe - and now that the Z06 uses the Coupe profile (rather than the FRC) I see it as just another fast car, but like a 911TT, wouldn't bother buying one - especially not at the rumoured $75 thousand bones thy are gonna want for it.

At that price it no longer even qualifies for "bang for the buck" status. Nice looker, but over priced as a Chevy..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
^^ yep - the performance numbers are right at the numbers for a good heads/cam modded C5...

I dislike the C5 Coupe with a passion, same goes for the C6 Coupe - and now that the Z06 uses the Coupe profile (rather than the FRC) I see it as just another fast car, but like a 911TT, wouldn't bother buying one - especially not at the rumoured $75 thousand bones thy are gonna want for it.

At that price it no longer even qualifies for "bang for the buck" status. Nice looker, but over priced as a Chevy..
Overpriced, Yes!, But My plan is to wait till Spring of 2007 and pick one up with a few thousand miles on it. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Then I think I'm going to keep it as a N/A car. I'll do the whole Cam / Headers / Intake / Exhaust thing of course. Maybe the heads too depending on what the tuners are able to get out of it. But the way it looks right now, GM has already done a pretty good job on the heads and have left little room for improvement. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze 650 out of it N/A.

Either way..I plan on buying one used in teh spring of 07'.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
T-Bird
Regular User

did they change the tranny on the new Z06 or is it the same as before?
Old 04-03-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
gobs3z
Regular User

did they change the tranny on the new Z06 or is it the same as before?
At the rear of the LS7 engine, a single-mass flywheel and lightweight, high-capacity clutch channel torque to the rear transaxle. The six-speed manual transmission has been strengthened to handle the LS7’s increased torque load. The transmission includes a pump which sends transmission fluid to the front radiator for cooling. Upon its return, the fluid removes additional heat from the differential lube before returning to the transmission. The M6 transmission connects to a limited-slip differential, with enlarged ring and pinion gears. Stronger axle half-shafts with tougher universal joints transmit power to the rear wheels.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:42 PM   #7
T-Bird
Regular User

so they just beefed up the same thing in there originally.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:45 PM   #8
gobs3z
Regular User

Thats what it looks like, aren't these trannies over 20 years old?

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
Old 04-03-2005, 08:54 PM   #9
T-Bird
Regular User

no they aren't that old as far as I know they didn't use the rear tranny until the C5.

What they need is another ZF tranny like in the ZR-1
Old 04-03-2005, 09:11 PM   #10
gobs3z
Regular User

They should give an option of a TH-400.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:13 PM   #11
T-Bird
Regular User

I don't think a Turbo 400 would fit
Old 04-03-2005, 10:57 PM   #12
zr2man99
Regular User

Comparing it to other cars that have 500hp, the new Z06 is a bargain. Did you expect it still to be around 50k? Sub 4 second 0-60, 11.xx something quarter mile, I think the performance reflects price. Ya gotta pay to play.
zr2man99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:01 AM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by zr2man99
Comparing it to other cars that have 500hp, the new Z06 is a bargain. Did you expect it still to be around 50k? Sub 4 second 0-60, 11.xx something quarter mile, I think the performance reflects price. Ya gotta pay to play.
Tired of hearing that one.

Compared to... compared to... compared to...

It not the "compared to..." car that you drive home - but the fucking plastic Chevy. Trust me - I know - I drove a 2001 Z06 home - and I even waited until someone traded decent one to get a price thousands less than the going new price.

Chevy's are cheap crap. Period.

The Corvette is a great cheap/bargain car. World class performance in a CHEAP package.

$75,000 is not a CHEAP package.

But you wil be stuck with CHEAP parts, CHEAP dealers, CHEAP warranty, CHEAP resale, CHEAP service.

$75,000 is not cheap, unless you are quite cash wealthy, in which case your $75,000 would go towards some other single use trackday weapon - not an over priced Chevy.

15 years later the ZR-1 is selling for $30,000 because it is a cheap Chevy (and then only if almost zero mileage) - yet sold new for $70,000 in the early 1990's. Just because you put a sticker on it, does not make it WORTH the price.

Sure, there are enough egotists with big wallets that will buy one at retail because they can, and then laugh at the $20,000 they lose in the first years of ownership.

The only Corvettes that are collectible and increase in value are exremely low mileage models - inother words, the poors saps who buy their cars to drive are screwed...

Back on topic - the C6 Z06 is an attempt to attract the 911TT buyers to come shop at GM/ Good luck to GM, but while $75,000 may be pocket change to the 911TT shopper, one has to wonde why a 911TT shopper would be bargain hunting in the first place?

And one more thing - imagine the first time you have to replace your front brae pads - 12 brake pads there mate... with GM dealer markup, you would think you were shopping for 911 brakes... so I guess they will be able to mimic the 911TT buyers pervious experiences...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:18 PM   #14
blah
Regular User

holy shit i just found out its an 11.0:1 compression ratio on a fucking 7.0!!!! JESUS CHRIST. Bye Aftermarket...whats the point in having a 7.0 liter and making it such a high CR?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:40 PM   #15
godspeed06
Regular User

the price isnt set yet. stop talking like 75000 dollars is set in stone. it could be ten grand less. and straight line performance might the the same as a modded c5 but im sure with all the new upgrades teh new z06, it will be significantly faster than just an engine modded c5 with equivalent hp around a track.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote