Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > The Cool Wall

The Cool Wall Our version of the cool wall.. you decide what's cool and what's not - view the results HERE

View Poll Results: Vector W8
subzero 40 21.05%
cool 63 33.16%
uncool 35 18.42%
seriously uncool 52 27.37%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #46
Boeing 727-200ADv
Regular User

i would say Sub-Zero but some of yalls would start shootin Stinger missle at me. I vote cool simply cause this is America's only true Supercar and is the only Supercar in the world to crack 220mph all with a 3 gear automatic transmission (GM 350 Turbo Hydromatic tranny). plus it's V-8 jus sounds awesome! 8)
Boeing 727-200ADv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #47
TopGearNL
Regular User

Well its a supercar thats for sure but due to it not very well known I can only say cool..
Old 10-27-2006, 07:35 PM   #48
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Boeing 727-200ADv
i would say Sub-Zero but some of yalls would start shootin Stinger missle at me. I vote cool simply cause this is America's only true Supercar and is the only Supercar in the world to crack 220mph all with a 3 gear automatic transmission (GM 350 Turbo Hydromatic tranny). plus it's V-8 jus sounds awesome! 8)
whoa, looks like somebody needs to read my in-depth article on the Vector W8
:arrow: http://www.jabbasworld.net/dload.php...e&file_id=1640

a Jabbasworld exclusive you know

BTW, welcome to JW Boeing; good to see another Vector W8 lover here
Old 10-27-2006, 07:39 PM   #49
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Fleischmann
Seriosuly uncool. Firstly it was a huge commercial flop, with only a few ever purchased for road use. It has no heritage...the name sounds as if it was thought of by a 5 year old during a schoolbreak. Also no prizes when it comes to looks.

Seriously uncool.
First;

When the Indonesians illegally took over the company, they had over 50 orders in que; and about 8 chassis in various states of progress. In fact, Vector had to limit orders due to knowning they couldn't meet huge production numbers right off the bat.

Heritage?
try 15 years in auto magazines wowing the automotive journalists with the amazing W2... making a car go 237 mph in 1980 on current cafe/smog requirements is no easy feat ... let alone in 1992

Name, when you see its style, could it be anything besides "vector"?

style
eye of the beholder mate
Old 11-01-2006, 05:25 AM   #50
bmwdriver
Regular User

ugly, maybe a rare car, but uncool to me
bmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:13 AM   #51
kldconcept
Regular User

good link

the new forum Fector Fan Club
http://vectorclub.free.fr/fo_vf/

kldconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:47 AM   #52
yg60m
Regular User

Originally Posted by kldconcept
good link

the new forum Fector Fan Club
http://vectorclub.free.fr/fo_vf/

Thank you mate Very interesting !
Old 07-24-2007, 06:25 AM   #53
_HighVoltage_
Regular User

I think it is subzero. I like the concealed headlamps, I like the scissor doors, the fat tires, the low profile and the right angles. It did copy the Countach to a point but still had charecter of its own. For me it is the best supercar for a wallposter.
..Mind you, a wallposter was the only thing the car was ever good at. The road cars were a complete disaster. Most of the cars broke down because the turbos developed so much power that the Donnovan block couldn't handle properly. The interior was from a jet fighter and looked horrible and unreadable. They also lied about the speed - it looked aerodynamic but it actually wasn't. It could only do around 190mph and not the claimed 230.
The car was like the Voodoo computer videocards - lots of promises, big powerful "engine" (4 CPU-s on one card!) but at the end it turned out awful and uncompetitive. But I still love the Voodoo cards, in the same way that I love the Vector W8. Sub-Zero!
_HighVoltage_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #54
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by _HighVoltage_
I think it is subzero. I like the concealed headlamps, I like the scissor doors, the fat tires, the low profile and the right angles. It did copy the Countach to a point but still had charecter of its own. For me it is the best supercar for a wallposter.
..Mind you, a wallposter was the only thing the car was ever good at. The road cars were a complete disaster. Most of the cars broke down because the turbos developed so much power that the Donnovan block couldn't handle properly. The interior was from a jet fighter and looked horrible and unreadable. They also lied about the speed - it looked aerodynamic but it actually wasn't. It could only do around 190mph and not the claimed 230.
The car was like the Voodoo computer videocards - lots of promises, big powerful "engine" (4 CPU-s on one card!) but at the end it turned out awful and uncompetitive. But I still love the Voodoo cards, in the same way that I love the Vector W8. Sub-Zero!
welcome to JW dood

First, the W8 had the Rodeck Y block in 366 cubes, not the Donnovan with 350 cubes. The donnovan block wasn't reslevable, but itself had over 200,000 miles on it w/out breaking. The Donnovan block was only in the prototype W2.

The W2 had just a few instances of overheating... not because the turbo's produced too much power, but because there was an air-bubble in the radiators... once drained, and refilled... all was perfect for runs through 242 mph. Every W8 will reach that speed if it has been properly maintained. There is currently one car out there that isn't "up to date" and people have experience with 008 for years being broken down on the side of the road.... until Michael owned the car, and restored it... it was in terrible condition by no fault of Vector's.

I personally have been 147 mph in a W8 after it had been on for about 40 minutes... there were no signs of the coolant over heating on the electro luminescent display even under full acceleration. This particular W8 makes 749 hp on pump gas and low boost.

Compared to other 200-220 mph cars I've driven, and been in, the W8 feels faster then a Porsche CGT even at 140 mph... much faster then the Ford GT at the same speed range, and not far behind the Enzo once the W8 shifts into top gear... but it is ahead from 80 to 160.

The one I was in did 5-150 in 12 seconds... Who said it can only do 190? LOL The car was honed in the wind tunnel one of the Big 3 owned (chrysler? i forget) prior to performing DOT crash testing in Ann Arbor, MI. ... the car proved to be very aero-efficiant, with a few small issues.. which is why later W8's have different facias, and air scoops instead of the gills on the first ones.

the ELD is very readable, and most cars include a HUD as well.
http://nthimage.com/Detroit/photosho...r_W8_int_2.jpg
http://nthimage.com/Detroit/photosho...ssis_15_s2.htm
The interior is full leather, and costom appolstery... when comparing to the interiors of the other supercars of its era (EB110, XJ220, F40, F1) the W8 is the most comfortable to ride in, and on par or better then the others' interiors. 1990-93 is very different to today's interiors. Vector w8 012 has the most exotic interior seen until the Zonda came out.

The circuit breaker/fuse box is right out of aerospace technology... F16 to be precise... and proves very usefull to an owner of a W8.

The whole of the car is designed to last the life of the owner... over the last 15 years, some things corrode, and break... but cheap items, like electric fans, and wiring inside a steering wheel... but changing the fluids 2x a year, or more depending on how many miles you put on will make the car last your lifetime. 90% of the parts on the mechanical side of the Vector are still made today.. a direct result of the close association with racing technologies.

Each W8 will do 242 mph from the factory. The reason why they later claimed "200+" was because the first owners of the first deliveries were unable to get insurance on the Vector W8. In order to right the situation, all published material was changed to "200+". When Agassi illegally drove his W8 from his birthday party to Vegas (and broke down 1/2 there w/out all the radiators installed... driving it broke contract with Vector since it wasn't complete) he locked the engine at 200 mph, and was running 220 mph for a fair distance.... without all the radiators installed!

At the time of the W8's release, there was nothing street legal and a production car that could compete with that speed, and the underwriters of the insurance companies saw impossibilities and 240 mph accidents waiting to happen... the EB110/ F40/ XJ220/ F1 either couldn't come close to that speed, or hadn't been tested and published at that time.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:13 PM   #55
_HighVoltage_
Regular User

Thank You very much for sharing this information! I still hate the interior though...Why would you need all the switches and knobs and aircraft equipment? It's just a bit over the top.
I'm just curious, based on what are you so sure that the W8 will do 242mph? I know it is do-able and W8 technology on paper was up to the job, but then why do all official sources say it can't reach this speed(even car magazines). Insurance can't be the only reason for this.
_HighVoltage_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #56
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by _HighVoltage_
Thank You very much for sharing this information! I still hate the interior though...Why would you need all the switches and knobs and aircraft equipment? It's just a bit over the top.
I'm just curious, based on what are you so sure that the W8 will do 242mph? I know it is do-able and W8 technology on paper was up to the job, but then why do all official sources say it can't reach this speed(even car magazines). Insurance can't be the only reason for this.
the car is slightly unstable at 180-190 mph, then settles down right into 242 mph. It takes balls to drive a car that fast on the street... and an amount of stupidity... and it had been done 3 times on PCH in the early 90's. Each car, prior to delivery was run to over 220 mph with no issue.

Where is a magazine going to test a car's top speed? at the time, they didn't do such things very often... let alone, had things like Vbox, or some other similar equipment.

All official sources say "200+" for insurance reasons at that time... the automotive press took that as saying that Weigart couldn't come through on his over-the-top claims.

However, several publications did test W8's to their true top speed... car and Driver, as well as Top Wheels (now defunct).

As to why a W8 has circuit breakers like a lear jet, rather then a simple fusebox? Several... less heat, easier access, never need replacing, and incredibly easy to reset and diagnose... something that doesn't exist on any supercar today, unfortunatley... all aimed at the driver.

Today, such a setup may be hidden behind plush leather... but still is ahead of current standards by a longshot.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #57
philip
Regular User

I notice JW has a Vector in the heading bar. For a twenty year old car is still looks pretty good.

When it came out it was the "it" car.

I believe it will be collectible because during those dark times it was unbeatable.

It suffers from the same disenchantment that other cars produced around the same time have. The Ferrari 512 BB and Testarosa still do not command the high prices of the earlier Ferraris. That may change. The Vector was made in very small quantities and certainly if you have 150K extra laying around it might not be a bad wager.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #58
sameerrao
Regular User

Back in the 80s, I thought it looked incredibly exotic with its shape and aerospace technology. But now after all these years, its just another supercar. There are are many other supercars that are lot cooler in my book.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 PM   #59
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by philip

It suffers from the same disenchantment that other cars produced around the same time have. The Ferrari 512 BB and Testarosa still do not command the high prices of the earlier Ferraris. That may change. The Vector was made in very small quantities and certainly if you have 150K extra laying around it might not be a bad wager.
The only Vector you'll find for 150K is a M12.... maybe, at which, its not a true Vector anymore... and likely isn't in that good condition. W8's in good condition are commanding $1,000,000+ lately so good luck finding one at 150k lol

The W8 was designed as a pre production car in 1989, and produced from 1990-1993 (very early 1993) before the illegal takeover. Comparing it to a 512 Boxer is WAYYYYYY off.

Comparing the W-2 vs. the Countach, and Testerossa was common, and it knocked the socks off both of them in terms of handling, and accelleration, and stopping....

the cars to compare against the W8 would be the XJ220, F40, F50, McLaren F1, Bugatti EB110
Old 08-06-2007, 11:52 PM   #60
philip
Regular User

From the 2006 Sports Car Market Pocket Price Guide

Vector W8 85-92, 18 made, low price $100,000 high price $130,000, Grade D Rating ** out of ***** recent price change -12%

as a comparison

Lamborghini LP5000QV 85-88 610 made, low price $65,000 high price $90,000, Grade B Rating **** recent price change 7%

** Appreciation rating -somewhat overpriced, out of favor
D Investment Grade -failed to be successful in the collector car market place for example NSX

These are old guys and they tend to like older cars, but their price guides are fairly accurate.

Two W8's sold at a DEA auction recently that may have lowered the numbers for the car. One if I remember correctly only sold for $70,000, did I read about it here.

If I see one sell, I'll post it here.

With only 18 made a pretty rare bird, would make a really good risk to buy at such a low price.