Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 01-05-2006, 06:48 AM   #16
1zippo1
Regular User

Originally Posted by JoeHahn
Originally Posted by 1zippo1
That's a great oppotunity indeed!!

PSM is one of the big critisims of the car reviewers because you can't totally switch it off but when I was driving the 997 3.6 cabrio I was very very glad that it had all of those electronic shit.

What do you call underpowered? I don't really mind that Porsche doesn't follow the big hp war that mainly Mercedes initiated... Ok, the basic 3.6 997 325hp is too close to the 320hp the 996 had. But 355hp is plenty IMO. And it's like they all say, it's the way it can put down that power on the road!
You actually can turn the PSM off fully. I think you may be thinking about MB or Audi's TCS system. Once the new Turbo/GT2 come out with VTG it will eat the competition.
I thought it autimatically engaged itself when you press the brake pedal so you can't place the car in the bend anymore.

Btw RC45, most reviewers said that they preferred the GT3 to the GT2 because it was more composed.
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #17
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Originally Posted by nthfinity
the GT3 is narrow, but is amazing...

I wouldn't call this thing 'narrow' can't wait for the even-wider GT2!!
i dont know the 997 GT3's dimensions... but the 996 gt3 was narrower then the C4/turbo/gt2 were 72 in wide, the C2/GT3 were 69.7 in wide.

im not sure how wide the 997 C4 is, but the C2 is 71.2 in wide... so im sure that is the minimum the GT3 will have.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #18
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 1zippo1

Btw RC45, most reviewers said that they preferred the GT3 to the GT2 because it was more composed.
Your point? The GT3 is not exactly underpowered
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #19
LotusGT1
Regular User

True, but it's 100hp short of a GT2.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #20
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by LotusGT1
True, but it's 100hp short of a GT2.
BUt the GT2 was appropriatly powered for the clas of racing it was destined for

Slow, underpowerd, low HP cars don't winn the big titles - no matter how well they turn
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:20 AM   #21
frodefe
Regular User

I honestly belive that the majority of members on this board would be quicker around the Nürburgring with a 997S than the 996 GT2
This down to controllability, feel, handling, brake feel etc.

The GT2 are more than a handful for the mere mortals of us. I would pick the 997S any day
Old 01-06-2006, 01:26 AM   #22
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by frodefe
I honestly belive that the majority of members on this board would be quicker around the Nürburgring with a 997S than the 996 GT2
This down to controllability, feel, handling, brake feel etc.

The GT2 are more than a handful for the mere mortals of us. I would pick the 997S any day
i think you're probobly correct on that note...

however, and a big however...
a GT2 enlists the driver to want to be better... after seeing a video of a GT2 in what looked like 100% standard trim lapping a rather tight circuit as fast on the turns as a highly tuned GT3 CS...
Old 01-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #23
DJF1
Regular User

Underpowered? LOL... Well maybe for people who think that "racing"is only 0-400 on a straight line.
Absolute horsepower is not the solution in real life and in racing in general. Even in drag racing, the point is not how many horses you have its how do you put them down on the ground via the current tire technology. Get a 1000hp car on street tires and try to launch it....
At any rate the package when you test it on a track or twisty bits is whats its all about. Get a well shorted GT3 with a good driver and it will be faster than many higher HP cars on the track.
The 997 has plenty of power for many people and I bet that the majority of the people who drive it will never reach the limit as it would be too fast for them.
My ONLY complaint about the 997 is the use of cheaper plastic everywhere...
DJF1 is offline   Reply With Quote