Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 01-31-2008, 03:57 AM   #1
79TA
Regular User

Default 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera & 1989 Ford Mustang GT

So I finally got around to taking the custom shot of my Olds that I had photographed way back when I entered the TA into the registry.

Here's the car I drive daily to school. It's a 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera. 1988 was the last year for the 3.8 litre in these cars. It's the same 3.8 found in the turbo Buicks but not turbocharged and not as built (as it doesn't need to withstand the extra stress of boost.) The 3.8 makes 150 bhp at 4400 rpm and 215 lbft of torque at 2000 rpm.

It's not the most exciting car to read about, but it gets the job done reliably and efficiently. When I first got the car, I averaged about 26 mpg. Now, I'm getting 22. I need to figure out what I'm doing differently. I just went back to running 35 PSI in the tires and that should make a good difference, but not all of it of course.

Here's my newest addition to the fleet: a 1989 Ford Mustang GT hatchback. Now, you'll notice that the car is in rough shape. That's because it was rolled 1.5 times. My cousin and I each bought half (so I'm only a half owner). We're going to make it a dedicated racecar. I'll let you guys speculate on what series or event we'll run it in.

broken strut:

225 bhp at 4000 rpm and 300 lbft at 3000 rpm. The cold air intake and aftermarket exhaust may have freed up a few more ponies though.

Last edited by TT; 02-05-2008 at 04:28 PM.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
79TA
Regular User

The black fox body is now sold and gone. Of the 200+ applicants for the Le Mons race (hence the dedicated racecar misnomer), we were not one of the 100 chosen. Perhaps because this car would perform too differently from the other clunkers on the track (in that it'd gobble most other cars up on the straights and make for awkward/unsafe corner entries.) It was fun to fix/tear apart while it lasted.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote