Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 03-20-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
akumapc
Regular User

Default Montoya & Ralf butting heads in Malaysia!!

Williams boss Patrick Head admitted here that he fears an on-track clash between the team's two drivers in Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix.

Ralf Schumacher was so upset by an aggressive move by team-mate Juan Pablo Montoya in the last race in Australia that he warned the Colombian he would "have him off" if a similar move happened again at Sepang this weekend. Head revealed that team owner Frank Williams has discussed the situation with the pair, who failed to get on ever since they linked up in 2001, and said he hopes common sense will prevail.

"I think Frank has had a quiet and measured word with both drivers and reminded them that the focus of their competitive spirit should be pointed to outside the team rather than inside the team," said Head with a smile. "I don't think it is particularly unusual that Frank has done that. They are intelligent guys and the first approach is to remind them where their focus should be placed. I think that Ralf might regret saying what he did but maybe he was feeling generous to the media that day! I hope that we don't see sparks in the race tomorrow between our two guys."

The Williams pair may be fighting for scraps anyway here Sunday after seeing world champion Michael Schumacher claim pole and finish 0.980 seconds faster than Montoya in fourth and 1.161 seconds ahead of brother Ralf in seventh.

Ferrari dominated the Australian Grand Prix two weekends ago and, despite claims that the high temperatures here would not suit them, Head believes they will be unstoppable again. "I think quite clearly that Ferrari are very quick here and I doubt they are particularly lowly fuelled for the race," said Head. "They were very quick from the word go and we expected that. We have been pushing hard to improve the car but we always thought Ferrari would be quick here and I don't think I shall go to bed in rosy comfort tonight."

- AFP News
Old 03-20-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
SFDMALEX
Regular User

All I have to say is that Mr.Montoya got some serious attitude issues. He proved that a thousand times already. Almost beat up a camera man....he cried at the press conference at Australia....plus all the rest.....
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 02:14 PM   #3
akumapc
Regular User

Yes Juan does have that attitude no doubt, but I've also noticed Ralf complaining a lot lately. What with the contract negotiations going south, and his time with BMW coming to an end soon, it also looks like he's complaining about being upstaged by a very close pass in Australia.

Here's a good in car view of montoya getting pissed, which was broadcast live on accident

http://dreinc.com/F1/Juan-Pablo.wmv
Old 03-20-2004, 04:27 PM   #4
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by akumapc
Yes Juan does have that attitude no doubt, but I've also noticed Ralf complaining a lot lately. What with the contract negotiations going south, and his time with BMW coming to an end soon, it also looks like he's complaining about being upstaged by a very close pass in Australia.

Here's a good in car view of montoya getting pissed, which was broadcast live on accident

http://dreinc.com/F1/Juan-Pablo.wmv
Thanks for that!!!
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 06:35 PM   #5
biff19_a
Regular User

lets see... montoya is gone... ralf is probably gone as well so niether care about what they do to each other... what will happen williams fires montoya... mclaren wins then and fires coultard... ralf just got offered a smaller pay and a deadline of april was put in as well....
needless to say these two will go at each other and we might actually see a pass being made during a race..
biff19_a is offline   Reply With Quote