Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > Car Gallery

View Poll Results: What do you think about this car?
5 stars (excellent) 0 0%
4 stars 0 0%
3 stars 0 0%
2 stars 0 0%
1 star (poor) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2003, 11:34 PM   #1
altezza
Regular User

Default Audi A4/S4 Cabriolet (1024x768 pix inside)

Press release:
AUDI STEPS UP THE PACE WITH A4 CABRIOLET RANGE

New V8 S4 quattro Cabriolet to debut at Frankfurt Motor Show, new quattro versions of A4 Cabriolet now available in UK

This month’s 2003 Frankfurt Motor Show will mark the beginning of a new, even more sporting era for the much admired A4 Cabriolet, because the Audi stand will not only feature new Cabriolet quattro models, but will also stage the international début of the potent new V8-powered S4 Cabriolet.

Permanently four-wheel-driven versions of the Cabriolet 1.8 T and Cabriolet 3.0 have just joined the UK A4 range alongside their front-wheel-drive counterparts, and are now available to order from Audi Centres at OTR prices of £25,945 and £29,425 respectively. The S4 Cabriolet is expected to open for ordering in early 2004, with pricing yet to be confirmed.

An exceptionally compact 4.2-litre V8 with 344PS at 7,000 rpm, and peak torque of 410Nm at 3500 rpm, gives the new Audi S4 Cabriolet truly exhilarating performance. 0-62mph in the six-speed manual transmission version is covered in just 5.9 seconds, and the six-speed tiptronic automatic runs close at 6.2 seconds. Both versions can, where permissible, reach an electronically governed maximum speed of 155mph.

Lightweight aluminium suspension

Using the A4’s acclaimed four link front and trapezoidal link rear suspension as a foundation, the S4 Cabriolet’s lightweight aluminium set-up has been tuned for maximum agility, precision and composure, and is backed up the quattro permanent four-wheel-drive system. Ride comfort also benefits from the low unsprung weight made possible by the aluminium components.

Design and equipment

Subtle differences mark out the S4 quattro from its A4 counterparts. 18-inch alloy wheels, colour coded bumpers with large air inlets in the nose, xenon headlights with a contrasting titanium-coloured inner housing, large diameter exhaust tailpipes and polished aluminium exterior mirrors are the only real indicators that this is an extra special Audi. Inside, the S quattro Series trademarks include grey instrument dials, electrically adjustable Recaro sports seats and a leather-rimmed sports steering wheel inlaid with the S emblem.

New Cabriolet models adopt quattro

The reassurance of quattro permanent four-wheel-drive is now also available for A4 Cabriolet models, allied to either the acclaimed turbo charged 1.8-litre, four-cylinder engine with 163PS or the 220PS 3.0-litre V6.

Equipped with a six-speed manual gearbox, the A4 Cabriolet 1.8 T quattro can accelerate to 62mph from rest in 9.5 seconds, reach a top speed of 138mph and cover up to 30.0mpg on the combined cycle. The A4 Cabriolet 3.0 quattro reduces the acceleration time to 7.9 seconds where the six speed manual gearbox is fitted, increases the maximum speed to 150mph and returns 25.4mpg. This model is also available with five-speed tiptronic transmission.
altezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 11:41 PM   #2
altezza
Regular User

Old 08-30-2003, 11:45 PM   #3
altezza
Regular User

sorry, i've made a mistake in the poll section and cannot delete the duplicated options using the modify post button
Old 08-30-2003, 11:49 PM   #4
WRX
Regular User

Car looks great. Audi rarely comes up short.
WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 11:55 PM   #5
cho_888
Regular User

i have been in the hard top but not this one i saw it at the motor show.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:20 AM   #6
twboy1999
Regular User

s4 just seem 2 close to regular a4
its style is 2 laid back unlike m3, which u can easily see teh exterior difference from normal 3 series

by teh way, i heard from other forum that, an Rs4 sedan is coming to north american, i dunno it is tru or not, but suppose to have 400hp+.. taht will be insane
twboy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 01:51 AM   #7
AlienDB7
Regular User

I like audi, but this cabriolet's proportion is just a bit strange. Something just doesn't look right without the top.

So, only 3 stars.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 04:53 AM   #8
Wide
Regular User

A4 cabrio is my favourite in cabrios.. I have a ride with it.. It was perfect.. I have never seen the s4 cabrio.. But this is so hot 2.. 5 star to A4 so S4 can have it 2..I like that car.. Such a good lookin car and nice performance..
Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 05:24 AM   #9
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by altezza
sorry, i've made a mistake in the poll section and cannot delete the duplicated options using the modify post button
Strange, if I try to edit I only see 5 options... I can't edit it neither :-/
Old 09-01-2003, 10:10 AM   #10
stradale
Regular User

Originally Posted by twboy1999
s4 just seem 2 close to regular a4
its style is 2 laid back unlike m3, which u can easily see teh exterior difference from normal 3 series
That can either be a good thing or a bad thing. I like the M3 very much, but I can also relate to people who don't want the looks of the car giving away what's underneeth the bonnet. It must be great to smoke some ignorant 'I only drive Porsches for my image' 911 driver with a car that looks like a normal Audi A4.

About the pics, love them. Very clean lines for this car and with that V8 in it, it must be a blast to drive.
stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:29 AM   #11
jinmin803
Regular User

I think it's a fantastic idea that audi is making the S4 cab... the A4 cab is the sexiest model in the current audi range, and i think the "S'ed" version will give it that extra punch it deserved...
jinmin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:18 AM   #12
draak666
Regular User

I don't think convertibles need that kind of big engines. Those cars lack stiffness so they can only be used for cruising. Also I think Audi's design is quite boring. It seems to me that their main objective is to make cars that noone really dislikes (kinda like VolksWagen) as opposed to making exciting designs.
draak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:34 PM   #13
Homans
Regular User

I am an audi driver, and semi-enthusiast, but i gotta say that this car doesnt really do it for me. I agree that it needs more visual styling cues, because having to look on the grille for the miniscule emblem just doesnt evoke the kind of awe that seeing the flared fenders on an M3 does. I mean, Audi is trying to keep up in the fast-paced world of automotive design, but i think its just trying too hard right now.

No replacement for Displacement.
Homans is offline   Reply With Quote