Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Bike Chat > Bike Pictures and Videos

Old 02-11-2006, 06:23 PM   #16
RC45
Regular User

Glad the rider is ok.

Looked like the Civic driver did apply hand-brake first - was there a passenger? Maybe the passanger pulled it?

Either way, the car is at fault the bike is in the clear.

Now onto the "what did we learn from this" part of the show.

On the bike, you always ride with your front brake covered in traffic - and from the looks of it, there seems to have been enough qwiggle room to have possibly not ended up hitting the car.

Number on practice move I always did during a riding season is thresh-hold panic braking.

Full front tyre impending lockup practices in a car parl.

Anything below about 40 or 50 mph and the bike should be able to stop in a blind panic.

As I say - great the bike has evidence and the car is in the shite - but it's small concellation when you the rider gets hurt - so my strategy is to always have a mental "escape route" when in traffic - and practice, practice, practice... as that accident is one of the few types where a bike can come out tops.

Farging nut job car driver either way.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:49 PM   #17
Banchi105
Regular User

With video this disturbing I hope she sues.
Banchi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:29 AM   #18
nthfinity
Regular User

im watching the video quite a bit... i have never seen any car... let alone a relatively 'new' car with such brake issues as locking up... even when bald (i had a 89 chevy celebrity with very badly bald tires all around)

the civic is definately approaching the white car too fast... then wants to change lanes...
the angle is incorrect to tell if the e-brake is pulled for sure, or not...

Blinker-->brakes on-->brakes off--> turn--> brakes on-->wheel turned more...(as in slower speed turn) no countersteer.

if the e-brake wasnt used at all... then the weight shift could've thrown the car out of control... i cant tell if there is a passenger.

...the silver civic could've continued on w/out being hit, and allowed an escape route for the biker.

my best guess is that the driver had a purposeful act... but may have been unaware that your friend was there, rather then a car... the whole brake on/brake off/brake on thing is shady.

Transam...
most of my friends with manual tranny's (and myself when i have owned them) put the parking brake on, and put the car in gear... 1rst if the car is facing uphill, and reverse if facing downhill. this to me is common practice.

and on hills, i will agree... we dont use the e-brake/parking brake at all... we will either feather the clutch/gas, or use the std. foot brake until its clear to go... it all depends on the severity of the hill i think.

the hand-brake is almost never used for actual stopping... i did however use it on my saab quite extensively in empty parking lots...
Old 02-13-2006, 10:16 AM   #19
TransAm
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
the hand-brake is almost never used for actual stopping... i did however use it on my saab quite extensively in empty parking lots...
good lad

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:52 PM   #20
Z3uS
Regular User

The way the guy acted was very disturbing. Seriously i cant think of any reason why or how he did that...

I hope she gets better soon and the bastard gets fucked for trying to get safe in the situation.

PS.: Just wanted to let you know that someone posted this video on Autoclips.net (itīs still there) and you said you didnt want it to be posted outside JW...

http://www.autoclips.net/detail.php?id_video=3915
Old 02-13-2006, 07:44 PM   #21
Banchi105
Regular User

From what I've experienced with hard braking in a non-abs car. 99% of the time its the front brakes that lock up no matter what. The rears on this car lock up before the car starts to rotate.

Maybe he had his hand on the handbrake and during the nervousness of seeing the cars ahead almost stopped he just pulled it.
Banchi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:56 PM   #22
Minacious
Regular User

Originally Posted by Z3uS
PS.: Just wanted to let you know that someone posted this video on Autoclips.net (itīs still there) and you said you didnt want it to be posted outside JW...

http://www.autoclips.net/detail.php?id_video=3915
That link is fine. The video has actually made it all over the internet now. She is trying to keep track of all the links but it is going to be awfully hard. I just didn't want the link that is from my server all over the net.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:56 PM   #23
Minacious
Regular User

Yeah, her video has made it pretty much all over the world. Every single day we're getting tons of people signing on to our site to comment from almost every continent. It has also made it onto the news. Now she is dealing with copyright issues. There are people profiting off of her video by submitting it to different media sources and what-not.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:08 PM   #24
RC45
Regular User

^^ what a pity about that..

But on the other front, how is the actual insurance claim etc going?

She is off the hook - right? That clown is going to pay for everything - right?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #25
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Also spotted here: http://www.filecabi.net/video/helmet...cle-crash.html
Old 02-22-2006, 07:11 AM   #26
blinkmeat
Regular User

and consumptionjunction
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:26 AM   #27
Mattk
Regular User

What an idiot car driver. I think he was trying to do a u-turn. I've seen people trying to do this before, and it's just mindless and reckless endangerment of other people.

BTW, why on earth was she wearing a helmet with a camera? Was it for incidents such as this one?
Old 02-22-2006, 03:27 PM   #28
Vansquish
Regular User

It's also on http://videos.humpingfrog.com/13827/...rson-view.html

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:30 PM   #29
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by blinkmeat
and consumptionjunction
which means it will be on bangedup.com soon and freakhole.com within 2 months

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:45 PM   #30
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
What an idiot car driver. I think he was trying to do a u-turn. I've seen people trying to do this before, and it's just mindless and reckless endangerment of other people.

BTW, why on earth was she wearing a helmet with a camera? Was it for incidents such as this one?
you got to remember that this is on a ONE WAY highway... and we drive on the right (correct) side of the road ... so its not a euey