Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 11-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
loliea
Regular User

Default My M3 + track day pictures

Hi,
I have been around (more or less passively) on this forum for some time now so I though it was time to talk a little bit about my ride and share some pictures taken on the track.

My car is a (aging) 2002 M3 that I bought 3 years ago. Put 36k miles on it and now it clocks 70k miles. Everything is stock except the Alpine iDA-X100 (that I warmly recommend for mp3s and HD radio) and Power Slot Rotors with Hawk pads that replaced the worn-out OEM parts.

Mandatory custom shot:

Now the interesting part. For the 3rd time this year I attempt a 2 days driving school at Infineon (on the full track, not the Nascar version). Again I had a huge blast and I though I would share some of the pictures that were taken by the official photograph of the event (please notice and respect the copyright).
I have to remember to take my camera next time because each time there was some very nice cars (Viper ACR, GT2 and GT3 RS, GT-R, AC Cobra 427 race spec, F430 Challenge, Gallardo, Murcielago, Z06, Lotus Exige…).

Enjoy!
Turn 6 (aka tire killer):

Turn 2 (scary one with the wall very close... no room for error as for most of the turns @Infineon):

Turn 2 chasing a Dinan M5:

Turn 8a:

turn 11:

We had a rainy day, but no pb I lived in France, England and Switzerland for 27 years, so I am not scared wet conditions.
Turn 12:

Turn 2 (note how fare from the apex I need to avoid pothole full of water and slippery paint):

Tires after 3 track days (yep BMW under-steer like crazy…) :

Still have enough thread left for San Francisco's winter but I will have to change them next year (or maybe not as I plan to change the whole car).

Enjoy!

Last edited by loliea; 11-15-2008 at 05:48 PM.
loliea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
04RCSTI
Regular User

Awesome car!

Im glad its getting the use it deserves!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Strop
Regular User

Great car!
Strop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:01 AM   #4
ae86_16v
Regular User

Awesome car man. Haha, if you think your car is old, you should see my 98 E36 M3. Now that is really old.

Great color by the way!
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
CarlZ
Regular User

nice pictures my favorite BMW
Old 11-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
pitfield
Regular User

I love the E46, that engine is fabulous, just hope it's not an SMG.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

M3's understeer? That's a first... Get back on the throttle earlier!
Old 11-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
loliea
Regular User

Thanks guys for all the good words, yes it's a fantastic car.

Originally Posted by pitfield View Post
I love the E46, that engine is fabulous, just hope it's not an SMG.
Yes it's an SMG. Trust me I hated at the beginning, but now I am use to it. For everyday use once you learn how to use it (ie anticipating lag in reaction and feeding correctly the gas pedal when up/downshifting) it's a good/ok gearbox. For heel and toe training I still have my wife's Miata

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
M3's understeer? That's a first... Get back on the throttle earlier!
I know it sounds strange for an M3 but I talk to instructors and owners of prepared M3 and they all told me the same thing: it's a "safety feature" of 99% of road cars.
I don't think that getting on the gas early will correct this behavior, it will just upset the car and I will eventually finish in the wall... I could eventually slam it after the apex but that's not when the understeering is bad, it's during the 1/3rd part of the turn, before the apex.
There is a solution to correct this understeer which consists of installing camber plates and put at least 3deg of camber (the max with the stock car is 1 deg) but I don't feel like modifying the car as 1) it is my everyday car and 2) I will change it next year.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #9
CarlZ
Regular User

why are u changing it?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
loliea
Regular User

Originally Posted by CarlZ View Post
why are u changing it?
This sounds familiar
Honestly the ride is a little ruff for everyday use. I am living in San Francisco where the streets and surrounding highways are awful. I think the heavy 19'' wheels and stock suspensions don't help but I don't really want to spend $5K on a car that now worth ~$20K. I will leave the joy of customization and pimping to the next owner.