Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Ferrari

Ferrari Everything related to the Prancing Horse goes in here!

Old 07-29-2004, 01:43 PM   #1
sameerrao
Regular User

Default A small Ferrari meet and drive in Houston - 7/28/04

Yesterday I met up with two guys from the Ferrari chat site. We started off at 290W and headed out to some country roads out there on the West side of Houston.

First I looked in my garage to see which Ferrari I need to bring to the meet. It was a tough decision and I took a good ten minutes to pick up the right one - The Enzo got the nod at the last minute

That settled then I ambled over to the meeting point. I saw the 1984 308 QV first - it had a T-Top

- note my Enzo on roof of my S4 - it was in the Space shuttle transporter mode

Some more pics of the QV

An engine bay snap ... 240 bhp in a real light chassis ...

And finally the other guy turned up ... in a late 70s 308 GTB - with carbs - had similar power to the newer fuel injected car.

the two together ... beautiful aren't they

And then we went for the drive - this was my view for the most part - they are really fast 20 year old cars...

About the drive ...

I was really impressed with the speed of those two F-cars. On acceleration they were on par with me. I could keep up with them by changing up at 6000 rpm or so. They cornered very well - I could sense my car fidgeting a little in the bends at the speeds they were going at. But they didn't walk away too far from me. We were going through a lot of tight corners 15 mph, 20 mph at much higher speeds

It was their braking that impressed me the most .. they were able to stop really well and gained quite a few feet on me. There was this section where we went from 90mph and had slow down into a 15 mph corner. My brake pedal was on the floor and I wasn't really getting much feel or confidence from it. I thereafter took it easy on the brakes and used a lot more engine braking to slow down.

Keep in mind that these are 20+ year old cars costing around $25-30K they are cool deal. I know servicing is expensive, but if you drive these cars regularly you should be fine. They have about 240 bhp and are pretty light. If anyone is looking for a weekend/occassional car this needs to be on your list.

I need to eventually do something about my brakes - maybe better lines and fluid for starters.

It was a memorable day and I have been gratefully invited to their driving day list - so next time I was told that a F355 and another 308 is likely to show up. I can't wait....

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Cool story.

I plan on getting a 308. As my first real car. You know when I get a proper job.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:34 PM   #3
sameerrao
Regular User

I plan on getting a 308. As my first real car. You know when I get a proper job.
Giddy up Alex ... We waiting for pictures

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 07-29-2004, 03:58 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Nice - a mid week run.

Send me PM next time..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:07 PM   #5
sameerrao
Regular User

Nice - a mid week run.

Send me PM next time..
10-4 ... It was a spur of the moment thing on Ferrarichat...

Old 07-29-2004, 04:21 PM   #6
TT
Regular User

Great experience for sure! If the next one will already see the amount of Ferrari to by multiplied by two, in a couple of months you will probably attend a 100+ Ferrari drive
Old 07-29-2004, 05:02 PM   #7
sameerrao
Regular User

Great experience for sure! If the next one will already see the amount of Ferrari to by multiplied by two, in a couple of months you will probably attend a 100+ Ferrari drive
I hope the list grows at the same pace as my scale models...

BTW, I am planning to go to a Italian Car exhibition near Dallas in September - big crowds are expected so ...

Old 07-29-2004, 05:07 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Nice - a mid week run.

Send me PM next time..
I didn't know you go for the weekday adventures..
Old 07-29-2004, 05:09 PM   #9
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Nice - a mid week run.

Send me PM next time..
I didn't know you go for the weekday adventures..
I didnt do shit till I got on JW and met a bunch of car loonies ...

Old 07-29-2004, 05:46 PM   #10
oscargarza88
Regular User

hey thats cool, 2 nice ferraris and u could hang on with them, it bet that v8 sounds great, did get a ride in one?
and in the west of houston... isnt that knida where tomball is...
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:16 PM   #11
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by oscargarza88
hey thats cool, 2 nice ferraris and u could hang on with them, it bet that v8 sounds great, did get a ride in one?
Not really - Tomball is consiered close in north west.

They probably headed out about 60 miles or so to the far north west - up towards Austin (general direction).
Old 07-29-2004, 10:29 PM   #12
SilviaEvo
Regular User

Giddy up Alex ... We waiting for pictures
and the vids
I didnt do shit till I got on JW and met a bunch of car loonies ...
who us?
Old 07-29-2004, 11:03 PM   #13
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by oscargarza88
Like I said I could hang with them on the straights but the tight corners were murder on my heavy car. Lcucky for me it was a 308 and not the 355 or Z06 - I would have been left behind ....

As for the engine sound - it is nice but actually quite muted compared to say the F355 or F360 for example. I could not hear it too much over the wind noise at say 90 mph...

RC's car on the other hand I think I can hear when I am a block away

I am not really sure of the route we took but I remember we exited 290 at FM 2920 and went East. Then went south on some backroads and ended back at 290 near Cypress Rosehill. I wish I could tell you more but it was the first time I have been that far on 290 and we were going a little fast for me to catch all the road signs...

RC might certainly know that side of town better and he could perhaps piece together the route

Old 08-02-2004, 01:32 PM   #14
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

BTW, I am planning to go to a Italian Car exhibition near Dallas in September - big crowds are expected so ...
Tell me more about this exhibition I want to come home from school so I can go to it...whats the date and where exactly is it?!?
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:22 PM   #15
sameerrao
Regular User

Full info here www.italiancarfest.com

I am pretty sure I am going unless something turns up at the last minute. Hope to meet up with you there if possible...

Originally Posted by DMbaseball1604

Tell me more about this exhibition I want to come home from school so I can go to it...whats the date and where exactly is it?!?