Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 10-05-2003, 08:35 PM   #1
fishfreek
Regular User

Default E-mail notifications and how they work

Seems to be some confusion over how e-mail notifications work. Im not sure why the confusion exists as the way its working now should be how it worked before.

Lets say Bill puts up a message. Now Jack comes by and replys. Bill should get an e-mail. Now lets say Bill is busy and does not visit the topic right away and in the mean time Tom and Steve reply. Bill will not get and e-mail that Tom and Steve replyed but Jack will get an e-mail that Tom replyed, and Tom will get a notice that steve replyed.

Now lets say Bill visits the topic. He will see jacks, toms and steeves replys. Now lets say everyone who has posted in the topic up to now all visits before bill visits. Now when bill replys everyone who has replyed in the topic should get a notice of a reply.

If that example confused you then maybe this will work better.

You post a messsage
I reply to it -> you get an e-mail sent
You visit the message
I reply to it -> you get an e-mail sent
You do NOT visit the message
I reply to it again -> you do not get an e-mail sent
You visit the topic and see two replys
and you reply -> I get an e-mail
I visit the forum but dont reply
a third person visits and replys --> we both get an e-mail

Basicly you get an e-mail when someone replys to your message but you dont get one to every reply unless you visit the message before they reply again. You only get 1 notice of a reply until you visit the forum. If you reply to your own topic you will not get an e-mail either.

Hope that explnation does not confuse anyone to much.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote