Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 09-09-2008, 02:32 AM   #1
Spiffu
Regular User

Default So, who got Spore

I'm already playing my copy, got from Direct2Drive.

It's as good as I hoped so far.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
Minacious
Regular User

One of the biggest letdowns in gaming history. What was being developed as an ambitious sandbox game, unlike any other, became a juvenile, dumbed down kid game. Much of the gaming community that was looking forward to this game feels the same way.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
HeilSvenska
Regular User

I want to get it, but $50 is too much for games. I'll get it when it comes down in price.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
One of the biggest letdowns in gaming history. What was being developed as an ambitious sandbox game, unlike any other, became a juvenile, dumbed down kid game. Much of the gaming community that was looking forward to this game feels the same way.
I wonder if Little Big Planet is going to deliver on the hype... my 10 year old had high hopes for Spore as well...

Last edited by RC45; 09-09-2008 at 11:10 AM.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Minacious
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
I wonder if Little Big Planet is going to deliver on the hype... my 10 year old had high hopes for Spore as well...
Your daughter will more than likely enjoy the game; it ended up being geared towards her age bracket. She might get bored with the repetitive nature of gameplay though.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
RC45
Regular User

^^ is it a proper sandbox though? If its not then she will get board with it
Old 09-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
Minacious
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
^^ is it a proper sandbox though? If its not then she will get board with it
To me, no.

Casual gamers may find something to like in it, but I think even they will get bored with it. The creature editor is about the only thing the game has going for it. Even that can't save it. What seemed like a terrific and very deep editor, turned into something very simplistic. The changes you make really do nothing to change the character's physical behavior; something that was touted to be amazing early on. For instance, the type of mouth will change how strong a bite is from a scale of 1 to 5 or how well your animal can sing on a scale of 1 to 5. The same goes for the feet (dance, run), hands (pose, strike), etc. Then there is the so called customization of your character's appearance; there really isn't any. You choose from about 30 different feet, hands, noses, hands, eyes, etc. These are all pre-made pieces that you can adjust the size of and orientation - that's it.

The game feels like an Alpha that is waiting to go into Beta.

Simcity was, and still is, more involved.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
Spiffu
Regular User

I don't think you've even played it.

I saw from the very movies and screens this wasn't going to be some "hardcore custom from the genetic level" kind of creature creation game. It doesn't take itself seriously at all. If they had done only the singe cell level and thats it, maybe. But it wouldn't be that accessible and probably not that fun.

If you've seen the creatures already being made out there, which everyone's creations populate the worlds you play on, you'll see the editors are extremely well made. I've had a blast playing it thus far and I in no way consider myself a "casual" gamer.

It's an 06 dammit!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
Minacious
Regular User

Originally Posted by Spiffu View Post
I don't think you've even played it.

I saw from the very movies and screens this wasn't going to be some "hardcore custom from the genetic level" kind of creature creation game. It doesn't take itself seriously at all. If they had done only the singe cell level and thats it, maybe. But it wouldn't be that accessible and probably not that fun.

If you've seen the creatures already being made out there, which everyone's creations populate the worlds you play on, you'll see the editors are extremely well made. I've had a blast playing it thus far and I in no way consider myself a "casual" gamer.
As a matter of fact, it is still installed on my machine. I have already made it through to the space stage once, and am now going through it again. I am giving it every chance I can.

I don't have time to talk about a game that I have never played. I leave that to the silly internet kids.

Here go some pics:

Would you like video too?

I was looking forward to this game, as were many others, and we were all let down.
This game started on a much more ambitious road than it ended up on. If you aren't aware of that, then you didn't follow its development until the end of its cycle.

If you feel that this editor is an achievement, then it's obvious our standards are much different. The creations that are being made by people are pitiful. Which is not necessarily the fault of the one who made it, but the lack of a deep editor to create with. Like I said, it was original supposed to be much more.

If you are having a blast playing it, enjoy. I on the other hand am not. It is mildly entertaining, and I stress mildly. The game is very simply in every respect. A my-first-sandbox game geared towards kids or casual gamers - My opinion.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #10
Spiffu
Regular User

Wow, you took pictures.

Okay you've proved your power level, congrats. I think if you provided a movie it would shame me to point of suicide. /Sarcasm

Jaded much?

It's an 06 dammit!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
Minacious
Regular User

Originally Posted by Spiffu View Post
Wow, you took pictures.

Okay you've proved your power level, congrats. I think if you provided a movie it would shame me to point of suicide. /Sarcasm

Jaded much?
Amusing.

I'm not going to let this dwindle into a back and forth.

I gave my opinion of the game and you seem to almost be offended by the fact that I don't like it.

Simply put, you think the game is great, I don't.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #12
RC45
Regular User

I can host the video if you want /notsarcasm
Old 09-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #13
Vansquish
Regular User

So I went and bought Spore last week and I've been playing it on-and-off ever since. Unfortunately I can't say I'm as impressed by it as I'd hoped I would be. Since I'm a science nerd, I was hoping for a bit more depth in the creature-creation stages, more of an evolutionary perspective. As it stands, I feel a bit like this is a glorified game of "Mr. Potatohead" at that stage. Later on the game gets a bit more interesting. The various intermediate civilization stages are somewhat marginal as well, as they offer somewhat less depth of gameplay than Civilization, Age of Empires, Starcraft, or World of Warcraft. That being said, later on, once you get to the Space-faring stage, things get much more interesting and deep. There's a practically limitless number of stars and civilizations that you can encounter, and that, I can see holding people's attention for weeks if not years.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #14
79TA
Regular User

I'm just impressed at how well they can animate so many different creatures. I guess it's not any sort of big advance given other games of today, but still, I'd hate to have try progam things so that the animations and collision detection were right no matter how wacky the creature.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
HeilSvenska
Regular User

This is my favorite creature.