Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 03-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #31
leblanc2.0
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
I've seen it. You've almost made a specific point, but not quite. It's progress though.

On the topic of that program, he mistakes a V6 Mustang for one with a V8, compares a landrover to giant GM SUV's (instead of the jeeps that would have won handily), drag races an M5 against a SRT8, and dismissese the Z06 as being too harsh. He then concludes the Ford GT is the only good American car and the notes (overstates would be a more accurate way of putting it) the British influences on the car.

Design? I'll take a Sky redline or Solstice GXP over the BMW Z4 any day.

Reliability: My family and I have had much better luck with American cars than foreign ones

Quality: alot of the fancy bells and whistles on older European cars go bad and make for electronic nightmares. That's partially why my local salvage yard is stuffed full of dead BMW E30s.
I like the Z4 much more .

Reliability and quality: I only had good examples,my cars never let me down.

But its true that to much electronics dont help.
leblanc2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #32
enzoferrari
Regular User

Well i think its the american way.Its a pity,you are all like Bush.Open your minds.

You are comparing US cars with European.You dont have a change.We dont make cars like toasters.
Any car from portugal,are you Italian,German,no you are not,we love our cars,and of course that we can compete,for example Z06 less expensive than many europeans but way faster.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #33
79TA
Regular User

I mill around my local salvage yard quite a bit. Even if I don't need anything in particular I enjoy checking out the cars. Many of the said BMW E30's have some pretty substantial mileage on them (usually 145k-230k) They're also reliable cars. This is just one example so the same cannot be assumed about all cars. However, this is not radically better (and often worse) than what I see on the Oldsmobiles of similar years (I take an interest in them as I own one.) That being said, I think there is no good reason to make any claims about European cars having such obviously superior build quality or reliability.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #34
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Woah. This thread went off topic real fast.

Anyways, SSC's pretty amazing. Is it better than the Veyron? Well, yes and no. As enzoferrari pointed out, SSC does what Veyron does with 8 cylinders and 2 turbos less, and probably costs a lot less (for both customers and the manufacturer). But the thing is, you can't say that the SSC's better than the Veyron because of that reason. The problem with the Veyron was that the design of the car was locked from the beginning. Remember the Veyron 18-4 concept? It was probably a style-led concept rather than an engineering led concept, meaning that the when the car was being engineered, they had to make the car look like the concept while trying to find the way around the flaws of the original design. Not only that, that mad man Ferdinand Piech promised 1001hp and 1000ft lb of torque from a V16 from the start. So, there was no way around that either. If Bugatti had taken the easy way out, we would've ended up with something like the XJ220 (twin turbo V6 + RWD instead of V12 + AWD) And the fact that it's filled with all sorts of fine leather and aluminum bits. Oh, and the top speed is electronically limited to keep the tires from bursting, so we really don't know how fast the car can really go.

So, in the end, they're both amazing. SSC was able to create a car that "beat" the world's most expensive car despite being a small manufacturer, and Bugatti/VW was also amazing in that they were able to bring some mad man's dream come true to exact specification with no compromise.

Oh, and SSC isn't the only small company with car that can do 250mph, I reckon. We don't know the actual top speed of Saleen S7 TT and the Koenigsegg CCXR, both of which are lighter than the Veyron, yet make more than 1000hp.

That being said, I think there is no good reason to make any claims about European cars having such obviously superior build quality or reliability.
Agreed. High end (actually, not just high end) German cars are just riddled with electronic problems. Remember those S & SL classes with electronic brake failures? If they didn't fit two sets of brakes, it could've been disastrous. And all French and Italian cars are notorious for being unreliable. I still remember one review where they tore a Peugeot 207's interior apart with bare hands...

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 03-06-2008 at 06:57 PM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #35
chedisme
Regular User

sorry i hadent read the all the posts when i posted this
chedisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:04 PM   #36
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by chedisme View Post
sorry i hadent read the all the posts when i posted this
No worries, Chedisme.... 70% of the posts are 90% useless in this thread, yours isn't
Old 03-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #37
F250
Regular User

Originally Posted by leblanc2.0 View Post
Well i think its the american way.Its a pity,you are all like Bush.Open your minds.

You are comparing US cars with European.You dont have a change.We dont make cars like toasters.

But is a diferent way of thinking,and its good.

Yeap. You only need to drive under your US speed limit,for that this car is just fine.

I disagree on many things that JC says but in others he is totaly right.

Drive safely.
Let's compare Portugal's automobiles to American automobiles. Let's compare Portuguese toasters to American toasters.

Oh, you don't make either? Then shut up!

Stick to what you know: Mining, agriculture and fishing.
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #38
F250
Regular User

LOL! Man.You need to travel.Meet new ppl and cultures.The world its not only USA.
YOU need to travel. I've been to Lisbon. I couldn't even find one Portuguese-made toaster or supercar!

I realize it's tough to reside in Portugal and constantly compare your standard of living to the U.S.A. Try to hide your jealously. It's not very becoming.
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #39
leblanc2.0
Regular User

Originally Posted by enzoferrari View Post
Any car from portugal,are you Italian,German,no you are not,we love our cars,and of course that we can compete,for example Z06 less expensive than many europeans but way faster.
Z06 is less expensive because....and cannot be driven in public roads...

Originally Posted by F250 View Post
Let's compare Portugal's automobiles to American automobiles. Let's compare Portuguese toasters to American toasters.

Oh, you don't make either? Then shut up!

Stick to what you know: Mining, agriculture and fishing.
LOL! You with that speech remenber that guys that tried to Kill/hurt Top Gear presenters in alabama.Many rage in you.Pick a gun and fired some shoots.

Originally Posted by F250 View Post
YOU need to travel. I've been to Lisbon. I couldn't even find one Portuguese-made toaster or supercar!

I realize it's tough to reside in Portugal and constantly compare your standard of living to the U.S.A. Try to hide your jealously. It's not very becoming.

No real portuguese supercars or car industry and...Whats wrong with that?Compare standard of living??? What you are talking about?

Dont be so patriot,its a good thing but in excess it will blind you.

Well at least someone knows where is Portugal.
leblanc2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #40
pagani
Regular User

LOL! You with that speech remenber that guys that tried to Kill/hurt Top Gear presenters in alabama.Many rage in you.Pick a gun and fired some shoots.

No real portuguese supercars or car industry and...Whats wrong with that?Compare standard of living??? What you are talking about?

I kown where portugal is
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #41
chedisme
Regular User

Cool Split from - First real test drive of the ssc ultimate aero tt

i do to, and i think in the good bad and the ugly clarkson edited out all the people who could answer his questions about Europe.
chedisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #42
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by chedisme View Post
i do to, and i think in the good bad and the ugly clarkson edited out all the people who could answer his questions about Europe.
Of course he could do that it's his dvd.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #43
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Dude. I don't know what kind of roads they have in Portugal, but it so happens that people do drive Z06's on the public road. Are you just parroting what Clarkson said?

Once again, you sound like you like Top Gear. But let me tell you, Top Gear isn't the show to live by. Alabama's just a single state in the great nation of United States. It's a different place from where you and I live.

No real portuguese supercars or car industry and...Whats wrong with that?Compare standard of living??? What you are talking about?.
That depends on what you do for living and where you live. Have you lived in the US? I'm sure I can feel really crappy living in Europe, no matter what nation I go to. Even Portugal.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #44
RC45
Regular User

You better tell that to the thousands of people with C6 Z06's with 20,000 30,000 and more miles on.. and those thousands of people with C5 Z06's with 70,000 80,000 90,000 and 120,000+ miles on.. they had no idea their cars could not be driven on public roads.

It was a fake setup - if you thought otherwise then you need to be angry with TopGear for setting you up - seems the joke was on the "blind fans"..

He is talking about quality of goods, price of food, price of housing, general level of civility and such like.

So far no-one has said anything, but I am going - notice how the ONLY people getting all offensive and anti-anyone have been the myriad of anti-Amreican folks who have rolled up in the last week or 2 - oddly enough you have not actually seen the "Patriot" "American" users on MW start randomly attacking european goods, cars and countries in every post.

I think this shit needs to stop - we are here to discuss cars - if you want to take out any latent anti-American sentiment go fuck off some place else..(this is directed at you and the other "quick to slander America" posters recently)

We don't need your type and have done fine without you for the last 2 montsh - lets clean up the act or be gone.

OK?

We all know where Portugal is - so dont try imply otherwise.. try stick to discussing cars.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #45
pagani
Regular User

Back to the topic please