Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-04-2005, 01:29 PM   #16
RAMMIUS
Regular User

Last 4 races

Belgium Spa 11th September
Brazil @ Interlagos 25th September
Japan @ Suzuka 9 October
China @ Shanghai Int Circuit 16 October
Old 09-04-2005, 01:58 PM   #17
sameerrao
Regular User

Raikkonen was awesome today. Shame about the tire delamination or else it would have been a certain podium I believe. His qualifying was amazing considering how much fuel he had onboard. The Speed TV commentators were mentioning that he was probably carrying 45kg more fuel in the car than Michael, a penalty of 1.85 secs/lap. Despite this weight penalty, he still qualified 1 second faster than Michael. :shock: If there was no engine failire, he would have run away with the win.

Pizzonia did a great job coming from the back to win considering he last drove the V10 Williams three months back. Too bad they didnt show a single second of TV coverage of his drive.

Webber just cannot seem to get a clean race. Every race he has to hit someone or have the car start slow on him and pay the penalty for it. He needs to realize that it is one thing to qualify very well but it takes a certain amount of patience to get the points.

So Schumacher has been elimated from the title contention to no one's surprise. Ferrari has also been eliminated from the constructor's title as well this race.

We saw a fiesty Barrichello today - he would have finished ahead of Schumi if wasnt for an extra stop to change the left rear tire.

Trulli did pretty well in the race today compared to his usual fade to the rear as the race progresses.

Alonso had another clean, easy race to strong podium finish. The Renaults were only a little slower than the McLarens from a race perspective - I was expecting a bigger gap given the stupendous qualifying pace.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #18
sameerrao
Regular User

Source: www.Formula1.com

Race results:

Pos No Driver Team Laps Time/Retired Grid Points
1 10 Juan Pablo Montoya McLaren-Mercedes 53 1:14:28.659 1 10
2 5 Fernando Alonso Renault 53 +2.4 secs 2 8
3 6 Giancarlo Fisichella Renault 53 +17.9 secs 8 6
4 9 Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes 53 +22.7 secs 11 5
5 16 Jarno Trulli Toyota 53 +33.7 secs 5 4
6 17 Ralf Schumacher Toyota 53 +43.9 secs 9 3
7 8 Antonio Pizzonia Williams-BMW 53 +44.6 secs 16 2
8 3 Jenson Button BAR-Honda 53 +63.6 secs 3 1
9 12 Felipe Massa Sauber-Petronas 53 +75.4 secs 15
10 1 Michael Schumacher Ferrari 53 +96.0 secs 6
11 11 Jacques Villeneuve Sauber-Petronas 52 +1 Lap 12
12 2 Rubens Barrichello Ferrari 52 +1 Lap 7
13 15 Christian Klien Red Bull Racing 52 +1 Lap 13
14 7 Mark Webber Williams-BMW 52 +1 Lap 14
15 14 David Coulthard Red Bull Racing 52 +1 Lap 10
16 4 Takuma Sato BAR-Honda 52 +1 Lap 4
17 18 Tiago Monteiro Jordan-Toyota 51 +2 Laps 17
18 20 Robert Doornbos Minardi-Cosworth 51 +2 Laps 18
19 21 Christijan Albers Minardi-Cosworth 51 +2 Laps 20
20 19 Narain Karthikeyan Jordan-Toyota 50 +3 Laps 19
Fastest Lap: Kimi Räikkönen 1:21.504

Driver comments:
Juan Pablo Montoya, McLaren (1st):
”It is great to win here in Monza especially after such an exciting race. I had a good clean start getting off the line and down to the first corner without any problems. I pushed really hard in the opening stages to build a gap between me and Fernando Alonso but after a couple of laps I really started to suffer from understeer and the car became very difficult to drive. Towards the end I had a severe problem with my left rear tyre. This left me with very little grip in the closing stages, and I just couldn’t go on pushing, but it was enough to get me to the line in first place. I want to thank all in the team for their fantastic support and I am looking forward to the next race at Spa.”

Fernando Alonso, Renault (2nd):
“I am really happy with second place here this weekend. In these final races of the season, our strategy has been to make sure we get on the podium, so this is the perfect result for me. The fact that we both finished in front of Kimi (Raikkonen) makes it even better. The car was nearly perfect all through the race - I had some oversteer on the first stint, but after that we didn't touch anything at all on the settings. The team was keeping me informed about the gap to Kimi all the way through the race, so I knew how his race was developing as well, and then they told me Juan (Montoya) had problems with his tyres. I really pushed hard in the final laps, and we turned the engine revs back up to try and catch him, but there were not enough laps left. But we did the job we needed to today, so I am very pleased.”

Giancarlo Fisichella, Renault (3rd):
“This is a great day for me - to be on the podium at my home race in Monza, and to see the crowd cheering during the ceremony, was such a special feeling. The balance of the R25 was fantastic today, but the grip levels were quite bad and that meant it was a really hard race. But from eighth on the grid, I think we had a perfect strategy and it is great to finish on the podium after starting so far back. The race was what I expected really - we knew that BAR and Ferrari would stop earlier than us on the first stint, and the only concern was with Trulli. Luckily, he stopped one lap earlier than me and in that space, I really pushed and got past him. I think that was the moment that got me third place this afternoon. It is a great result for the team as well to have both of us on the podium, and the next track should suit our car well - plus Spa is a great circuit for me too. This afternoon showed we are still competitive, and attacking all the way to the last race.”

Kimi Raikkonen, McLaren (4th):
“This was a very disappointing day for me which could have ended much better. Due to an engine change I had to start from 11th, and then a tyre problem caused an additional stop which prevented me from benefiting from our one stop strategy. I had one spin when I hit the curbs in the last stage of the race, but that didn’t influence the outcome too much. I pushed very hard throughout and the speed of the car, even with a heavy fuel load, was excellent. So it is a pity that the result does not reflect our performance. Even though my World Championship chances are not looking so good I will continue to fight.”

Jarno Trulli, Toyota (5th):
"Today was a fantastic race for me. I pushed right to the limit from the beginning to the end. The car balance wasn't too bad, but we struggled a bit with traction. I lost a couple of places early on when we weren't as quick down the straights as other lighter cars. But our car was as reliable as it has been all season. I didn't expect to be able to come home in 5th place so it was definitely a positive day. It's great for the team, too, and our total of seven points means we are now bearing down on Ferrari in the constructors' championship. We'll be really pushing to catch them."

Ralf Schumacher, Toyota (6th):
"That was another good result for us, and it's great to have taken 5th and 6th between us. It was quite a difficult race for me. I had trouble with grip so it was very slippery throughout the race. I was sliding a lot and I had both understeer and oversteer during the afternoon. It was especially hard on a heavy fuel load. Towards the end of the stints I could go at a decent pace. But the team again did a great job with the strategy and in the pitstops. So that basically moved me forward. Now maybe we have a chance to catch up with Ferrari."

Antonio Pizzonia, Williams (7th):
“I am very pleased with this result on one side but I am also slightly disappointed on the other because I think that I could have done even better if I had been at my top form, as I haven’t tested recently and I am out of practice. Considering the whole situation, we scored two valuable points and my car was strong today.”

Jenson Button, BAR (8th):
"Apart from qualifying we have struggled the whole weekend here. We have found this a difficult circuit and it has been tough getting to grips with the low downforce configuration. We had problems with the fuel rig which also meant that I had to stop four laps early and that cost me on the final result. Hopefully when we return to the higher downforce circuits of the next four races we will be able to get back on the pace."

Felipe Massa, Sauber (9th):
"I made a great start and was able to avoid the incident in the first corner. After that the pace was reasonable but the car was difficult to drive. It felt pretty nervous. But to start 15th and finish ninth is the best you can hope for on a day when nobody retired, though it is frustrating to miss out on the last point. At least I have a good qualifying start position for Spa, my favourite circuit."

Michael Schumacher, Ferrari (10th):
“Clearly, our race did not go well and we were much too slow. We are nowhere near where we want to be but we have to live with it. You could say we were a bit better than in Turkey, but that is still not good enough. Running ninth, I was prepared to take some risks to get a point, but I risked a bit too much and went off the track, which lost me a place. There is no point in getting angry about our situation, we must simply try and improve, maybe in time for Spa, although that is unlikely, but possibly before the end of the season. The championship was obviously lost a while ago, but we have had a lot of good years before this one. There is no need to give up because this is all part of competition. I feel sorry for the tifosi and thank them for their support, even though we were not able to deliver them a good result.”

Jacques Villeneuve, Sauber (11th):
"The start went very well, and I was able to keep Kimi behind me quite easily in the early stages. When we were fighting again later on I was blue flagged even though we were battling for position, so I had to let him by. I guess the marshals were getting a bit over-excited. Overall it wasn't bad. We had an aggressive strategy but we really needed a few positions higher in qualifying to make that work. The car was oversteering, but I don't mind that."

Rubens Barrichello, Ferrari (12th):
“We had to adopt quite a risky strategy this afternoon, as we knew we were not really quick enough. So we were fighting to get into the points, but were unable to do it. Unfortunately the car was running with very light downforce and when you got close to a car in front it was therefore very difficult to overtake. I had a good start and the momentum took me up to fifth place and I think I could have finished eighth which is the best we could have hoped for today. But unfortunately a puncture on my left rear meant that even this was out of reach.”

Christian Klien, Red Bull (13th):
“The race was not so good. I was late releasing the clutch and lost some time then, at the first corner, I was perhaps overcautious, as I didn’t want to damage the front wing. After that, the car was difficult to drive, there was some over-steer and towards the end of the race, the rear tyres began to blister. We took some front flap off during the pit stop to help them, but it was still not easy to put the car exactly where I wanted it. As soon as I pushed, the tyres began to overheat and things were not so good.”

Mark Webber, Williams (14th):
“I had a really good start and when I was going through turn one I was telling myself. Take it easy, take it easy!. but then I think someone moved on David Coulthard and he slowed rapidly in front of me and I damaged my front wing. I had to come into the pits to change it and after that it was basically all about recovering from nowhere. It’s a shame for the team, as everyone did a fantastic job this weekend and we deserved to have both cars in the points today.”

David Coulthard, Red Bull (15th):
“I must say, I’m very disappointed. As a team, we felt we had a chance to pick up some points here, but we’ve come away with nothing and a bad qualifying slot for the next race. At the start, I made it around Turn one okay, but in Turn two where all the cars concertina up, I touched the back of Fisichella’s car and broke my front wing. I then had to make a pit stop, which lengthened my race strategy. I was battling with (Mark) Webber for the remainder of the race, and the team managed to get me in front of him during his pit stop. However, I was having difficulty balance-wise and he was able to pass me again later on. I’ve just looked at my car in parc fermé and the barge-board, the little deflector behind the front wheel, seems to be jammed at 45 degrees and stuck in the suspension, whereas it should be sitting in line with the chassis. That must have happened in the first-lap incident and was probably what was affecting the car’s aerodynamics and balance.”

Takuma Sato, BAR (16th):
"It was a disappointing race and a sad result for us. The start was quite exciting for me. I defended my position into turn one, but I was already side by side with Trulli and at the end of lap one I overtook him again and gained a position which was an exciting moment. During the first stint everything looked fine but when I came to my first pitstop we had some trouble with refuelling and so when I went back out again after the second stop the car became difficult to handle as it was very heavy and I lost a lot of grip. It's a shame as the weekend up to this point had been good for us, but we have to look forward to next weekend in Spa."

Tiago Monteiro, Jordan (17th):
“We finished another race which is good for the reliability of the new car but I am really disappointed as this was a really tough race right from the start. I lost some part of my bodywork so the balance of the car was affected and then the tyres got worse and worse. This was a big surprise to us as we were quite happy with them at the test last week and at the beginning of this weekend. I do not understand how the tyres could act like this. I am not happy with this race at all as the car was very difficult to drive at such a high speed circuit.”

Robert Doornbos, Minardi (18th):
“Today marked my fourth Grand Prix for Minardi. The weekend was going well and we were expecting to have a good battle with the Jordans. Monteiro appeared to have a slightly better car in the opening part of the race, but I had a good start and was able to maintain position ahead of my team mate and Karthikeyan. I was even able to pass one of the Williams briefly, so the first lap was very exciting, as usual, and I really enjoyed that. As the race developed, though, it became clear the pace wasn’t quite there, so I just focused on the lap times and talking to my engineer on the radio. Anyway, we have been competitive all weekend, even if not quite to the level we would have liked in the race, and now look forward to Spa and another opportunity to fight the Jordans.”

Christijan Albers, Minardi (19th):
“We did a good job between qualifying and the race, and I was happy with the work we did. I think we had a competitive car and could have finished in front of the Jordans, as we could have done yesterday in qualifying, but sometimes you also need some luck. I stopped four times in the race - once for a new nose, one for a drive-through penalty, and two normal pit stops - so I think I have seen enough of the pit lane this weekend. Anyway, we’ll now put this race behind us and look forward to the next one, in Spa. I want to say a special thank you to the mechanics and engineers, because they did a really good job with the car, and that was reflected in our lap times this afternoon.”

Narain Karthikeyan, Jordan (20th):
“I made a good start but unfortunately Albers stupidly hit me in the rear at the first corner, which punctured my left rear tyre. It is really a pity as he has already done this to Tiago in the past. This is a long lap here so it took me a long time to come back to the pits to change tyre. Because I damaged my tyres in my accident yesterday, I had to use a very old set and therefore I knew this was the end of my race. However, I am still happy that I managed to finish the race and I hope we will have a better result at Spa with the new car.”

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:22 AM   #19
5vz-fe
Regular User

lol...a pass is a pass...........someone shut that crying baby up please.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:00 PM   #20
kksh
Regular User

I agree with Ronin005's support for Ferrari and his questions about Alonso's fans. I've been a fan of McLaren since way back. When they were dominating, losing, all the time. I've supported every driver that drove for Mclaren. Where were all those alonso fans when he was being beaten by Trulli last year before Trulli got the boot?

And about alonso's whining about the pass. Yeah a pass is a pass.

Kimi's performance was just extraordinary. Maybe they should build stronger engines with less performance and just let kimi use his skills to get the wins. He can still win comfortably with a car that's half a sec slower.

Goddamnit...
An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars.
Advertising has us chasing cars, megapixel cellphones and clothes.
Working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.
We're the middle children of history, man...
No purpose or place.
We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives.
We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars.
But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact.
And we're very, very pissed off
kksh is offline   Reply With Quote