Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #31
Daggernite
Regular User

LOL what the heck do you go on about..

You really do love the Corvette dont you. Which is fine im not mocking you for it, i admire someone who stands up for what they believe. Even if you do go into lengthy speeches about starbucks and people who dream and other tittle tattle.

But you do realise at least here in england, you can do an equal amount of posing sat in your corvette as you can in a ferrari. Cuz there both good looking cars after all. And the average women and fella who knows nothing about cars will think OMG rich cool guy! thats basically posing.

And if you want to have braggin rights to been able to do 0-60 in the 4 sec range for cheap. You must be friends with the VX220 boys, subarus and so on, who have even more change left over from there 60k.
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #32
RC45
Regular User

The "other" case is still closed.. but no I do not love the Vette, I love having a supercar performance available on tap if I ever wanted to exploit it

Remember I am an ex-superbike rider - and for me the thrill is the ability to blow your socks off at the drop of a hat, but I got tired of the wind and muck and rain and all the things that go with being a year-round biker that has a need-for-speed.

So THAT's why I bought the 4-wheeler cage I did - to have the ability to go like stink, drive it all year and still be able to eat and sleep in a house with doors and windows..

If the TVR was availble here for a bargain and proved to be reliable and robust enough to be ragged on daily, that's probably what I would be driving - because in the end, I enjoy drivign a true sports car - one designed from the ground up with going fast, stopping and turning in mind.

The fact of the matter is that until 2000 no such car existed - you had to spend a lot more money to get the same setup - so when the C5 Z06 was launched I was able to kill 2 bird with one stone...

1 - I always wanted a Vette, yet could never justify the jump because until the C5 Z06 arrived the Corvette has always been a little to heavy, wallary and under powered. QAny one who has driven any mid 70's 80's or early 90's Vette would have the same opinion JC has.

They are rattling under powered cruisers, with either too mcuh spring or too little spring, and needed a lot of work to be as competant as most Vette-o-philes dreamed they were

I hold the same opinion about the base C5 coupe, which I drove in 1997 - it disapointed - to slow, to spongy and too poofta.

Then I tried the C5 Z and realized instead of having to wait another 5 or so years to buy some euro-sportster, I could get mu jollies right then and there.

That is how different the cars are - that is why I have it...

SO my evangelising is not so much to "promote Corvette" as the be all and end all, but to make folks realize that if you really want to get your hi-po rocks off in the way a P or F car can, you don't have to wait till you are 50 years old and cash inyour retirement to do it... you can do it with that MiniVan fund you felt obligated to collect

That's my motivaiton... I would hate to hear about any speed junkies who didn't get have a thrill ride because they thought the Corvette was still a mushy gold chain miami pimp cruiser

The C6 Z06 is just the same and whole lot more... (and the cheap path to power allows me to keep up with the latest for a fracton of the cost - so I have no need to force my family onto food stamps just so I can go faster )

Oh - and the bonus is the car is a complete civilized daily driver... and aprt of the ability to afford one of the exotics is reserving yet more money for your daily driver.

Now it's case closed
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #33
Neema702
Regular User

Hey RC, i see you driving your car on HWY 6 in houston all the time as I drive from sugar land to Louetta and 249 everyday for work. If possible, i would love to meet up with you on a weekend sometime and get a ride. I think the reason why people are so obsessed with exotics (like myself) is because of what we read.

When reading an article about P or F cars, all they ever talk about is how great it feels, how fast they are, and how effortlessly they go around corners. as the proud owner of a A4 with quattro, ive become a cornering nut! i dont give a fuck about how fast a car is in a straight-line, if it cant take a corner like a true exotic should. Im not saying that all exotics handle the same, but i think people would have more respect for the Z06 if it went aorund a corner like a 911 turbo or F430. We all know most exotics have shit for quality, so theres no point in talking about how chevys cant build reliable cars, but because all i know about the c6 Z06 is what i read, i just feel like its missing the "feel" that you always read about for lambos and ferraris.

for a car with 500 hp and 0-60's in the upper 3's, you would think they would fuck with the handling a little bit. i agree with you 100% that if you cant afford a super exotic, but u still want a fast car, theres no fucking point in dreaming about a ferrari while driving a camry. but you also have to remember that if you driving a camry, you prolly cant afford the up-keep of a car like a z06. whereas the owners of a ferrari could give a shit less how many times they're gonna have to take it in to the shop for some bullshit.

back to the original question tho, could i please get a ride in your car (i'll let you take my A4 for a spin ) i even prefer you driving it while i ride passenger so you can show me what it can really do.
Neema702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:58 PM   #34
Evo
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by Evo
Hey RC45,

I had the pleasure of driving the C6 and the ZO6, Did not push the C6 as it was brand new and belongs to a friend of mine. But the ZO6 was a test car that a friend of mine gave me for couple of hours to try it out..

Well when I first say it the flared arches caught my attentions and that is a very nice touch the boot lip is a bit bigger than the one in the normal C6 and this one had more ductings areas than the normal C6.

Well I fired up the engine and to tell you the truth was not what I expected it was a bit to quite for me. Drove it for couple of KM until I found a nice deserted road. I floored it in 3rd gear the RPM did not more as fast as it should but the strange thing is the speedo was moving 3 times the normal speed. My GOD.. that thing is just mind blowing fast and not a tiny bit noisy from inside. I stoped the car and was instructed by my friend to click on the traction control thing until I get sport setting so I did. Floored it from a stand still just a bit of slip as I was not expecting that much power but then boov. 120km in few sec which really don't feel fast in this beast. This car could go 300km with no drama at all it's nice to have that feeling.While heading back I tried playing with it as in putting it in each gear and see how well it pulls, well not a problem in that car each gear seems to be first gear the torque on that car would pull a house from it structure.The gear lever is a bit to tall for me. The steerings well to tell you the truth I was not expecting it to be very responsive and it did not disappoint. I liked that thing on the front window that displays RPM and speed.

Well to sum thing up the car is an amazing thing the only thing that let it down is the interior with it's cheap plastic. I mean they know how to build an excellent car why can't they build and excellent interior at least use some leather on the dash and for GOD sake remove that button on the door that opens the door. But Thumps up for the Z06 new type of respect to it.
I thin you discovered the secret many of us discovered 5 years ago... 3100lb and 400hp (and even more so 500hp) makes for a seriously quick car.

And unless you are as cash flush as some people *cough* second Lamboghini in the family *cough* - you have to pay a lot of money to get something this seriously fast.

And as you so cleverly pointed out - 120km in few sec which really don't feel fast in this beast. This car could go 300km with no drama at all it's nice to have that feeling.

it's nice to have that feeling

And as much as everyone is so quick to judge that "it's not a Lambo, it's not an F-Car" it's still a true blue, seriously, no-shit-take-no-prisoners super-fast-sports car... not a "hopped up pickup truck with a big motor" or a "hopped up econo-4seater with a turbo" - t's a seriously fast sports car.

And this is what most car fanatics would like to enjoy, but they (and I was also once that way) raised to only expect this kind of performance from the uber-exotics, and as such only expect to have the pleasure of such performance if we reach a wealthy station in life where $250,000 for a car is nothing and we just go buy one.

This is the point, and I thinkk Evo, you experenced this - now do I expect you to want one over the Lambo's etc your family can already afford.. of course not - but if you only had $80,000USD (or less) and you wanted to have that nice feeling of being able to safely and easily go 300km/h I am sure this is what youwould want/need to look at

Glad you enjoyed it.
Well RC,
Yes for the money I am paying yes it is well worth it. And I am sure it will eat up the gallardo for dinner and make the Diablo it's desert.

My friend who got the C6 wanted a ZO6 but he can't drive a manual so that let him off it but I think the C6 is a hand full for him.

As I said new respect to the ZO6, If I ever see one on the road I know I can't play with it..
Old 04-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #35
HeilSvenska
Regular User

who wants a 7 liter mass produced engine in his Ferrari ??
LS7 is hand built, by the way.

Many people bash Corvette as some sort of cheap-o Ferrari substitute, but it's a completely different animal with its own legitimate history and heritage.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #36
RC45
Regular User

I thought the Cobalt SS was a rebadged Daiwoo?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #37
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by Guibo
Originally Posted by MIHALS
US cars in Europe? hell no.... I'd better pay more for germans or itals :roll:
Sure, why not?

GM sold something over 1000 Corvettes in Europe last year. How many did TVR sell? About 400? At last count a few months ago, GM had 300 deposits from Europeans for the Z06. Most of these people had never even driven the car before. And if the good press continues (the Sport Auto tests come to mind), demand is likely to increase.
And if you're paying attention, the Z06 has already stolen at least one sale from a potential Sagaris customer. A lot of you seem to be forgetting that most of the drivers aids are defeatable. And if you really want the feel of controlling a car with slicks in the wet, well, you can get a spare set of wheels and tires. It's not like you can't be a hooligan with 500 hp, 470 lb-ft, with driver aids off, on slick tires in the wet; if you want to be a hooligan, you can. In standard form, that works pretty well even in the dry:

You can also cruise effortlessly and comfortably at Autobahn speeds, or negotiate rain-slicked roads with reasonable confidence, if you so choose.

Awww, dude, WTF!!! You tempt us with those pictures, but in such a small resolution?! :shock: That second one is seriously badass, do you have that one in like 1024x768, or even bigger? 8) Much appreciated for even posting those pics, but it'd be even better if they were bigger...I saw them and I was all ready to make them desktops...

Speaking of the 2nd pic...those tire marks are fucking wide! 8)

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #38
graywolf624
Regular User

Anyway the Vette is not going to steal anyone sales trust me on that.
I doubt it needs to judging by previous model sales numbers... Its one of the few american cars that never has a discount, rebate, or anything else.

who wants a 7 liter mass produced engine in his Ferrari ?? not me
Apparently quite a few people do what that 7 liter in a super car.. and the 5.7 it replaced.. That is judging by the number of heavy hitter supercars using the chevy small block(its a very long list).
Old 04-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #39
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
^^^ 300kmh (180mph) will be dispatched with in less than 2km.. these cars are very quick, and considering you are already running 120mph after 400m... the 180mph mark wizzes by in a little more than a mile.. thats about 45 to 50 seconds after you lauch..

Not that long of a stretch by any means

And with regard to price, EVERY person on this site that is of a semi-fixed income (as in earns a living and not independantly wealthy - which is most people here ) will have a budget to shop within... and if youhave a desire to have astonshing performance, you are no longer limited to "either you can afford a F-car or toss off" as an answer..

Remember, not every TVR driver is willing to drive one of those beasts all day everyday ran or shine - so you are back to the issue of having have multiple cars.

Ah whats the point, most everyone here is a broke dreamer who lives vicariously through the likes of magwheel when it comes to sports cars - yet drive shit-box econocars while they dream of one day hitting it big-lotto winnings and also having such a dream garage - nothing wrong with dreams, and more power to you if you somehow manage to pull yourself up out of the gutter and eventualy have a string of uber-cars lined up.

If posing is your thing then you should be more thn happy to wait it out and eventually get you hipo cars sitting in the drive of your country manor... but then again some of us are just regular folks and instead of going through life in our Camry's and Fiat Pundas had decided to execute the option of "performance on a budget" so we have a little fun on the way there.

There is no point in continuing this discussion and I shall elave you dreamers to your dreams, and the silver-spooners to their graduation gifts - in the mean time I (and 30,000 other Z06 drivers) will be enjoying the thrill of 0-60 in 4s all-year motoring every day.

Sorry to have bovered all the starbuckers and toffy-nosers with my bidget crap - consider the case closed.

Elvis has left the building.

Mate your lost.

I might drive a Vette. I might drive a speed 7 but there will always be one place were my heart wants to be.

So you can keep bullshiting about price, dreamers and all that all you want. Doesnt change the fact that most people want to drive an F40 instead of a Vette even though they have a Vette in their garage.

BTW I saw Elvis leave teh building in a 612
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #40
Guibo
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Awww, dude, WTF!!! You tempt us with those pictures, but in such a small resolution?! :shock: That second one is seriously badass, do you have that one in like 1024x768, or even bigger? 8) Much appreciated for even posting those pics, but it'd be even better if they were bigger...I saw them and I was all ready to make them desktops...
No, sorry. I got 'em from the Auto Motor und Sport test drive (they're only small gifs. )
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/t...ute.106152.htm
Guibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #41
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX

So you can keep bullshiting about price, dreamers and all that all you want. Doesnt change the fact that most people want to drive an F40 instead of a Vette even though they have a Vette in their garage.
who the hell drives a F40 as a daily driver? no one does.

that is the point..most of you guys don't understand the there IS practicality...and that we aren't gonna all have F40s in our garage. I'm preparing to make plenty of money in my life...however i'm not gonna spend it all on cars...no matter how much i'd like to.

i think you guys will change your minds by the time you get a bit older....for now, enjoy your wallpapers and screen savers.....everything changes when responsibility grows.

i still want my Veyron...in all black....and i still wanna dust everything else on the face of the earth......but i'm not gonna sit around and compare the Veyron to a "normal" car.....it's just dumb.

Let me change it to a 550 instead of a F40 (which was just an example).

Now take your post. And throw it out the window

In the meantime Ill buy my C5 Z06 in the next few years and will keep "dreaming" of owning an F-car....so STFU
Old 04-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #42
nthfinity
Regular User

In the meantime Ill buy my C5 Z06 in the next few years and will keep "dreaming" of owning an F-car....so STFU
you and me both as much as id rather have the P car...
well, perhaps my (our) prototype will take off like hotcakes; and i can just go for that CGT
Old 04-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #43
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
you and me both as much as id rather have the P car...
well, perhaps my (our) prototype will take off like hotcakes; and i can just go for that CGT
hehe good to see Im not the only one thinking that way
Old 04-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #44
graywolf624
Regular User

I hate to burst the dream bubble.. But very few of us could ever even afford a 550.
His point still holds... The only ferraris cheaper then a z06 are the 308, e28, 348, maybe a testarosa? Great cars, and Ill prolly own one for nostalgia.. But any one of them would be raped by the z06 and at the end of the day the maintenance costs would bend you over and make you scream.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #45
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624

I hate to burst the dream bubble.. But very few of us could ever even afford a 550.
His point still holds... The only ferraris cheaper then a z06 are the 308, e28, 348, maybe a testarosa? Great cars, and Ill prolly own one for nostalgia.. But any one of them would be raped by the z06 and at the end of the day the maintenance costs would bend you over and make you scream.
God damn...........do you people read? :roll:

I said even if someone has a Vette he would still probably want to drive an F-car.

:roll:

Like when I get my Vette I'd still would want my ass to be sitting in a Ferrari.

I give up...............I can converse with people who do not bother to read...

Another day.....