Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines > Magazine Scans

Old 10-13-2006, 03:55 AM   #1
gangajas
Regular User

Default AMS-Corvette Z06 vs Porsche 911 Turbo

Swedish magazine Auto Motor und Sport compare these two cars:

http://www.automotorsport.se/biltest...615/061501.pdf

Copy&paste from Rennteam:

(The driver is Fredrik Ekblom (STCC driver, and champion)

Turbo:

The 4wd and the heavy rear makes the 997tt hard to drift, and the car undsteers easily. But it is better suited for normal track driving.

It feels feminin compared to the Corvette, something I have never said about a Porsche before.

The Turbo turns in very nicely under braking, the balance is neutral with a slight tendency to oversteer. When I get back on the throttle there is a bit too much movement in the chassis and it wants to sit on its ass and understeer.
If you deliberately give it more throttle you can keep it in oversteer and get a better line, but then you have to shift and it understeers again.

In 4th the Z06 needs 4,1 sec from 80-120 kph, the Turbo only 2,9. In sixth the Turbo crushes the Z06, 5,5 sec vs 11,1.

The Turbo engine does not feel like turbocharged engine, it likes to rev and pushes hard all the way to the redline.

The Turbo brakes doesn't fade and the feedback is perfect. These brakes could handle slicks.

The fastest lap so far is 1.30,4, quite impressive as I qualify the STCC Audi in 1.21,4.

- They then fill up the Turbo, all 67 litres, and it is 0.3 sec faster.

The car turns in better now, with a full tank you get the nose down a little and can keep the throttle on longer when exiting a corner.

- Then it's the Z06:

The gearbox is difficult, but even if I couldn't find third gear on the pitstraight, it still did 1.29,3, another lap and I think I can get down to 1.28

The interior sucks, when I brake my face almost hits the windscreen, the seats are loose and don't have enough sidebolstering for a car of this caliber.

The engine has a nice and even powercurve, but not a lot happens after 6500 rpm. Going all the way to the redline is pointless.

The gearbox needs a firm hand and the space between 3rd and 5th is very close.

The brakes are holding up very nicely, but I have been talking it rather easy.

You probably should put this in the magazine, but the Z06 walks all over (to use his correct term - pisses all over) the Porsche. The Z06 is a surprisingly good trackcar and it can take a lot of punishment. You only need a rollcage, slicks and a slight update of the brakes to go racing.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
Just_me
Regular User

lol Im from Sweden and I read this comparison like 3 months ago
Nice review though.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #3
coochas
Regular User

Thanks for posting,...I like seeing these comparos in countries other than my own!
Old 10-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
blue8
Regular User

does Auto Motor und Sport come in English? Thanks for the comparison!

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
fireguy
Regular User

that was great ; thanks. since this is from sweden you can assume that they are not biased towards the z06 and still the vette smokes the turbo on track - wow.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:06 PM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by fireguy
that was great ; thanks. since this is from sweden you can assume that they are not biased towards the z06 and still the vette smokes the turbo on track - wow.
UHm - there is really no magazine or TV test that has ever been biased towards the Corvette so thats a n odd statement

This is like the DUMBEST TEST AND STATEMENT any magazine can ever make/do..

In sixth the Turbo crushes the Z06, 5,5 sec vs 11,1.
FFS man, 6th gear is an OVERDRIVE gear that allows you to cruise at low rpm at freeway speed and not have to pull into every gas station.

This is almost certainly because they were not at the correct RPM with the Z06 for this test...

In 4th the Z06 needs 4,1 sec from 80-120 kph, the Turbo only 2,9.
Anyone who has been in a 427ci V8 Corvette at the right RPM knows you literally boil the tyres off the wheels when you drop the hammer.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:27 PM   #7
gigdy
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
FFS man, 6th gear is an OVERDRIVE gear that allows you to cruise at low rpm at freeway speed and not have to pull into every gas station.

This is almost certainly because they were not at the correct RPM with the Z06 for this test...

In 4th the Z06 needs 4,1 sec from 80-120 kph, the Turbo only 2,9.
Anyone who has been in a 427ci V8 Corvette at the right RPM knows you literally boil the tyres off the wheels when you drop the hammer.
The gear to gear test was retarted, i think they just needed more places for the porsche to look better.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:36 PM   #8
5vz-fe
Regular User

Regardless the radius of the corners, the Z always carry more speed than the TT.

The 4wd and the heavy rear makes the 997tt hard to drift, and the car undsteers easily
They should purchase a copy of November Best Motoring

The brakes are holding up very nicely, but I have been talking it rather easy.
uhh....so the Z will beat the TT even more if driven properly? LOL