Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 03-11-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
graywolf624
Regular User

Default How I screwed up, test driving a Corvette C6

I made a serious error in my attempt to test drive a car this week. No I didn't put the vehicle into a tree or anything. Anyway, more on that below..

So, I started off the day at the Nissan dealership trying to get a test drive of a 350z. For some reason I can never get any attention at the Nissan dealerships. This time I tried a different dealership, and still no luck. So I decided to walk over to my friendly neighborhood car superstore.

The dealership in question has a bunch of marques and I figured I have to find at least one to test drive. Mazda's, Chevys, and Toyotas. Right, well all new Toyotas are boring and I own a Mazda. I want to test a RX8, but unfortunately I got distracted by a Chevy, which was to be my down fall.

The first thing you see as you enter the dealership is a row of 2007 Corvette C6s. No ZO6's mind you, but still a great car and quite good looking imho. I walked around them and decided a nice orange version would be a good choice for a test drive. I must have sat around pumping the dealer for a good half hour before I settled on driving the car. In this case the line was "I bought a Trans Am recently, but man some of me wonders if I should step up". This was bought hook line and sinker.

The first thing you notice about this car is all the gadgets. You go to enter the car and the door handle is a button hidden behind a piece of fiberglass. The door unlocks simply by walking towards it with the fob. You enter the car and to start the engine you hit a button; no key required. So this car has all the latest technology fads. For extra money you can even get an optional sat nav. Not bad for what once was a bare bones sports car, though if I were buying I'd stick to the basic.

The second thing you notice about the car is the interior. It is light years better then the old C5. It isn't the greatest thing ever mind you, but it certainly looks well put together and decent quality. There are a few bits on the doors that hint at the 40000+ price tag, but nothing really screams Cavalier like the old one.

I took my seat as did the salesman. The 2lt seats are super comfortable. They have adjustable wings and perforated leather. I am quite impressed. I still would op for the 1lt car, as the extra price isn't worth it to me, but man are they comfortable.

So fire up the car and you get the standard Corvette startup screens. Nothing real out of this world here, but still an interesting touch I've always liked. I fiddled with the radio while the car warmed up. It is a mp3/cd player unit. Not bad and apparently available as standard. It looked like a quality unit but I didn't turn it up as the dealer was clearly nervous.

Now, before we startup I should tell you I ended up test driving the Automatic. Why, you ask? Well because this isn't just any Automatic. This auto is a 6 speed with paddles. Now I can hear you screaming, but its still an auto. Well yeah.. But I'd also read of .5 sec shift times, which honestly is as fast as most of us can personally shift. As such I really wanted to see if it stood up to the claims.

Shift the car into sport mode and off goes the traction control. The dealer is visibly sweating. I eased the car out of the lot and got on it. Wow.. Just wow.. Instant power, even faster then the Trans Am. I know your thinking, but you should know this its an American car. Well your right but, when the car was sitting there and even at low speeds it just didn't feel like it had that type of power. It just felt.. Well I guess you could call it refined. There was no noticable lope. No rattling. and if I kept out of it the car just glided along. However, If I slammed the gas I was up someone elses ass in seconds. I don't think I have ever experienced anything quite like it. So right I'm suitably impressed.

The transmission also appears to shift with no noticable hesitation. Unlike say the Auto Mazda 6 unit which has a nice lengthy delay, the upshifts and downshifts seem to correspond almost exactly to my demands from the steering mounted paddle shifters.

The dealer at this point asks me if I'd like him to take over and makes some joke about sweat on my brow. I can tell hes visibly nervous, so I have to say I didn't make this drive as balls out as normal. I still got on it around some corners and tested out the dead spot. While the car was not quite as flickable as the Solstice, it still changed direction faster, and with more ease than any Democrat running for office. Meanwhile there was suitable feeling in the steering wheel telling me what was going on with the wheels. Break the tires free and the wheel communicates, with a nice controllable slide.

All of this shouldn't come as any suprise to anyone that has driven a corvette recently, but was a shock is how the car handled over undulations and bumps. The cars suspension absorbs them, not quite to the extent that you have no road feel, but enough that you don't feel everything through your body. Please note this is the base suspension. I have yet to drive the Z51 which should handle even better but may result in a harsher ride.

So time to test the brakes. I first warned the dealer, I don't want the poor guy having a heart attack. I slam the brakes once my rear view is clear. The car pulls up quickly, nice and straight.

So right, great handling, fast, refined... This is getting quite impressive.

The car itself has a Targa top, honestly a great choice. As I have previously mentioned I love open top cars but I dislike convertibles. So right I can't find fault here.

Backing the car back into its spot I discover the one unfortunate flaw, the car still lacks rear 3/4 visibility. Nothing on par with the Prius, but certainly not great. I wouldn't want to back this car into a lot of spots, but the power allows you to get around people on the highway. Just clear the blind spot by slamming the gas and your home free. Not much will stay with you in that spot, so I guess you can say its ok.

I pulled the car to a stop and punched the button to shut the car off. To get out of the car you punch another button that electronically opens the door. Out I go. One more thing to check, the storage space. I pop the trunk and too my suprise there appears to be acres of space in the back. Not that you'd use this car like a truck, but certainly enough to use the car to carry a decent amount of say, groceries.

So where did I screw up? Well I now want one. I don't mean like I wouldn't mind having one. I mean like I'm waiting two weeks to see if the March Madness Sale involves 0 percent financing. If it does, you will be hearing about my new car. Though mine will most likely be a manual with the z51 suspension.

I guess you could say this write up is to be continued.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
novass
Regular User

Awesome!!! I don't think you screwed up at all, I think you played things just right So are you going to keep the Trans Am as well and maybe turn that into a racer or trade it in for the Vette?

I can't wait for Corvette test part 2.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
graywolf624
Regular User

The current line of thinking is to check with the insurance company. Depending on quotes my daily driver is either going to be a T/A or the 6. Id rather it be the T/A. The third car will be sold to a family member.

All this is still dependent on the 0 percent. I have the cash but Id like to use it as a deposit on a house rather then pay cash. So I've set my limits.

The dealers are motivated as its been leaked that the 08s will have significantly more bhp, so bargins are to be had.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
ARMAN
Regular User

hehe I was waiting this to happen when you said "No I didn't put the vehicle into a tree or anything"

I love vettes and C6 is beautiful and pretty rare to see here, I hope you'll get one

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Nice write up - but a couple things come to mind.

Unless you HAVE to have a new car, a new C6 would be a bad move - depreciation with a capital F. Youcould find some great 2005/6 used C6 Z51's for a great price.

Second, the C6 may be refined, and "almost as quick as C5 Z", but again, unless you must have a new car, there are some awesome used modded C5 Z06 cars out there for sale Think 100 to 120rwhp up from the 400bhp (350rwhp) for less than $35K

Everytime I am in a C6 I think 'Wow this seems just a RWD TT '
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
graywolf624
Regular User

Unless you HAVE to have a new car, a new C6 would be a bad move - depreciation with a capital F. Youcould find some great 2005/6 used C6 Z51's for a great price.
While this is true, without 0 percent financing it isn't worth it to me. The C6 base is down to about 39000. Thats only about 3 or 4000 over the used ones at this point. The 0 percent balances the difference. Since I'd plan on having the car a long time I care about as much about depreciation as I do for the latest minivan craze.

Second, the C6 may be refined, and "almost as quick as C5 Z", but again, unless you must have a new car, there are some awesome used modded C5 Z06 cars out there for sale Think 100 to 120rwhp up from the 400bhp (350rwhp) for less than $35K

Are you looking to sell?
Damn crotchity old man and his c5 ZO6. I don't like the looks of the C5 as much and I want a targa top. I also want a non molested car with a warrenty. The C5 Z06 doesnt qualify.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:43 AM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
While this is true, without 0 percent financing it isn't worth it to me. The C6 base is down to about 39000. Thats only about 3 or 4000 over the used ones at this point. The 0 percent balances the difference. Since I'd plan on having the car a long time I care about as much about depreciation as I do for the latest minivan craze.

Are you looking to sell?
Damn crotchity old man and his c5 ZO6. I don't like the looks of the C5 as much and I want a targa top. I also want a non molested car with a warrenty. The C5 Z06 doesnt qualify.
I aint selling - but I am speaking on behalf of 2 associates that got out of their C5 Z's because "they had done the sports car thing" - then decided to get back in, got a new C6 and sat around watching prices tumble

ut if you insist on buying one - do yourself a favour and get one from the cheap dealers ou tthere..

Like http://www.kerbeck.com/ Kerbeck.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:16 AM   #8
ae86_16v
Regular User

Nice write up. Definitely a cool sports car to have.

About depreciation, I noticed the C5 Z06 has leveled off significantly in the past year or so. And you don't find that many great deals anymore. I guess they are starting to hold their value.

The C6 does look more modern with the enclosed headlamps.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by James May
didn't know it has a key-less system - thought it was only in Mercs... and Citroëns
You knew it had HUD right though?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
Firdosh7747
Regular User

nice i hope u get it

02 Honda CBR 954 RR
Firdosh7747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
didn't know it has a key-less system - thought it was only in Mercs... and Citroëns
Like Citroëns too
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #12
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by gangajas
Like Citroëns too
and like Citroens, it also has 400 hp/400 tq 1g in both directions 0-60 in 4s, 12s 1/4 mile time and 8:16 NS laptime

hehe

nice writeup Gray, but make up your mind mate

p.s.

pitfield, maybe now you see that Gray was actually looking for a car, while just intending to have fun for an hour... he got lovestruck
Old 03-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #13
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Like Citroëns too
and like Citroens, it also has 400 hp/400 tq 1g in both directions 0-60 in 4s, 12s 1/4 mile time and 8:16 NS laptime
Well, Citroën makes the faster car in the world

Old 03-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #14
nthfinity
Regular User

Like Citroëns too

Wow, it's nearly as relavent as this 'faster car in the world'

I win hehe
Old 03-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #15
gangajas
Regular User

Like Citroëns too

Wow, it's nearly as relavent as this 'faster car in the world'

I win hehe
That Corvette is a very fast track car, but in a winding road ( the real world) no one can beat the fastest WRC ever