Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 06-27-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
TT
Regular User

Default Testdrove the Renault Clio RS 197

Sadly no pics, so the reviews can't qualify for the new reviews section sorry.. maybe I'll have some pictures opportunity soon though, but I'll use "our" review format anyway

Renault Clio RS 197

Intro

So, today I test drove the new Clio RS 197. Sadly it was a short test that was basically the last step of an online game and a seller came with me and ma pal: this mean no fucking pics and a very short and pre-planned route sad because the car is VERY good!

Specs

Engine - I4, 1998cc
Power - 197 hp (145 kw) / 7250 rpm
Torque - 215 Nm / 5500 rpm
Weight (empty) - 1365 kg
Fuel Tank - 55 l
Max Speed (declared) - 215 km/h
Acceleration (declared), 0-100 km/h - 6.9 s. 1000 meters in 27.5 s
Fuel economy (out of town / town / mixed) - 7.1 / 12.2 / 8.9 l/100 km
Tranny - 6 gears manual

Seats - 5
Doors - 3
Length / width - 3991 / 1768 mm
Height - 1484 mm
Boot - 288 / 1028 dm3

Exterior

Subtle mods, but bloody nice! Air exits behind the front wheels, air extractor with integrated exhaust tips at the back, gaping front air intake! This car screams business! "mine" was sadly the pretty boring silver and not one of the two hot blue shades available

Interior

Good again! Business again and no needless flourishing! I can compared it to the Mégane RS F1 and that's better! The car behind much cheaper (10 grands in swiss francs), you are not bothered by the lack of high-tech gizmos and what you get is meaty and good! The seats for once, while the ones in the Mégane look damn cool but offer no real support, the Clio's are maybe less flashy, but VERY supportive both on the hips and shoulders! Really a pleasure to be in them! The wheel is small and meaty, controls simple and basics and easy to find. Nothing impressive but still well executed.

How does it drive

Wha! 197 hp and 215 Nm means the car has some punch, even with three ppl on board (that's some 250 or some more kg) and air con (very hot day). The gears are short and close to each other, meaning the revs drop by just some 1000 to 1500 rpm when shifting up! Easy to keep the car on boil! And the gearbox is a pearl. To be honest, this side of the marvelous Lambo or Ferrari H gates which are a pleasure to operate because of their aura, this is one of the best boxes I ever tried! Short throw, terribly precise and rapid! You can really fly through the gears as far as your arm and obviously feet allow! You'll never miss a gear! The pedals are perfectly crafted for some proper heel and toe and it would be heresy not to do so! The brake pedal is hard to modulate at low speed, first cm already offering some (too) strong bite, but once moving is well judged and easy to use. Steering is super soft at parking speeds but weight builds up with speed and although not as sensitive as "old" cars, you can still feel something through the assistance it always carries along.
The noise is such a pleasure to listen to! I read in evo that the 172 or better 182 trophy had much better noises. To be honest I never drove them so I can't compare, but the 197 has a bassy and sexy soundtrack that makes you smile! The seller described it as "tuned Porsche like"... well, nofuckingway dude, but it's one of the best small hatches sound too and make you want to go through the gears all day.

The engine has apparently two "vtec" kicks if you want to call them like that. At 3000 you feel the first kick and trust increases significantly, and second kick comes at 5000. You then have the last 3000 rpm to play with, where all the horses are running with you!
Acceleration is not really THAT impressive. After all we are talking about high 6 with a single person on board.. add two more and you are for sure in the low 7, which is nothing crazy. But even if I just had 3 or 4 proper corners I felt the potential and even if for sure heavier than the older models, this car knows its moves once you'll bring it in the heart of the action and it seemed so funny! So funny actually I booked another test later next month to try and have some more proper roads to drive on and also some pictures time because the car is sexy to look at!

What are the most positive features of the car?

The pocket rocket look, the "not so linear" engine, the short throw gearing and short gears

What are the most negative features of the car?

Boot access is a bit too high, some details are a bit tacky (rev counter and speedo...), no time to find more, I was in awe

How do you think this car compares to its direct competition?

Honestly, I didn't drive many cars in the category, but I drove probably the best one, the Cooper S, which is brilliant, and yet, didn't feel as focused. That said, the Clio will probably need a Trophy version to really shine and I am sure a longer test would take out some downsides too. Also, sorry but it's a French car...

Conclusion

I was expecting a great drive and it was. I would have killed for more hairpins because this car really deserve to be trashed on proper roads! The most exciting sporty model in the Renault range maybe, but still, if you love Turbos, 10% more money will buy you the Mégane RS Trophy...
Old 06-27-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
Daggernite
Regular User

Wow you testdrove very early, congradulations. Me and my mate was having a conversation the other day actually about if this could become the next must have hothatch. TT do you think the Clio has what it takes to hang with the big boys like the Focus ST etc?

Also with it having VVT and other modern updates, from a NA point of view could it become the best hothatch, taking the Civic typeR down from the thrown?
You probably the only person right now I can think of who can have a worthy oppinion?
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
TT
Regular User

Nope, forget, I tested Focus ST, Golf GTI, Astra OPC (VXR) and Mégane RS 225 and the price and size gab really separate them. Dynamic wise on an ideal road I am sure the Clio will be impossible to shake from their bumpers, but still, the others are so much more "car" and less toy although still fun especially the Focus is up several notches quality wise
Old 06-27-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
TT
Regular User

Yep, I guess the main point is: the 197 is a perfect small hatch as long as you never tried the Williams or 182 Trophy :bah:
Old 06-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
Daggernite
Regular User

Im feel the same really, this new clio has alot to live up to, the old clio is kinda Iconic in a way. I use to love watching them on TV lifting a wheel in the corners and bouncing up when hitting a curb it was always fun. Im really hoping that renault sport dont let the clio down. Im still wondering what a cup version or trophy version would be like.
Its just the weight really that lets it down, I think that was part of the fun factor of the old one.
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:42 AM   #6
dingo
Regular User

Nice review, shame about no pics but still interesting reading.

6.9sec to 100kmh.....pfft!! Not quick enough for something like this IMO, with that power level and relatively low weight I'd expect better.

BTW, what do you mean it was the "last step of an online game"?
Old 06-28-2006, 05:46 AM   #7
TopGearNL
Regular User

Is this the final fast version of the clio, or are they also going to make another hardcore version where the engine is in the back?
Old 06-28-2006, 06:40 AM   #8
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo
Nice review, shame about no pics but still interesting reading.

6.9sec to 100kmh.....pfft!! Not quick enough for something like this IMO, with that power level and relatively low weight I'd expect better.

BTW, what do you mean it was the "last step of an online game"?
1400 kg "empty" is quite heavy actually :shock: good times when compact hatches were around 1000 kg
You add the three persons onboard, let's say 75 kg x 3, some 50 liters of fuel.. not 50 kg but not far from it I guess, other fluids and so on and you are scarily close to 1700+ kg :shock:

As for the last line: Renault Switzerland set up an online game to win 6 months behind the wheel of a Clio RS for free (and other minor prizes). There were 3 stages, you have to give simple answers quickly: the quicker, the more points. You can invite ppl and you gain points and at the end testdriving the Clio gives you an extra 150 points :bah: