Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 06-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Spiffu
Regular User

Default Saw an interesting NSX at the car wash today

I was pulling into the car wash today to get my GT waxed, and I saw a black NSX already in progress of doing the same thing.

After setting up my car for it's treatment I walked over to check out the car, at first glance it looked stock, then I noticed it had race class wheels on it; super lite weights. A guy that works there who wrangles the cars said "you should see under the hood, it's crazy."

He popped the hood and there was a gigantic custom fabricated intake manifold with 4 inch piping coming out of it. The biggest surprise of all was that the stock V6 was gone and an inline 4 of some type was in its place. Many other race class looking pieces of engine work adorned the engine bay.

The car wash guy also told me to look underneath, I found two turbos attached to the exhaust pipes.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet the owner, but I was told the car makes over 450hp and that it's a "lambo killer" I don't know they meant countach or gallardo.

In any case, that's the first engine swapped NSX I've ever seen, especially to a smaller engine.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
thiago
Regular User

Pretty weird that swap from a bigger to a smaller engine you'd think... I don't really know much about that though to make any important comments.

It would be nice if you managed to get that guy to sing up in our website so he could upload some pics from that car. I'm sure you'll get another opportunity in the future.

Nice story!
thiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Usually, we have a rule against posting a "what you saw today" thread without pictures to confirm it. But the story sounds too strange not to be true.

Better make sure to take pics next time. I'm sure a guy who flaunts a modded NSX won't mind.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
thiago
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Usually, we have a rule against posting a "what you saw today" thread without pictures to confirm it. But the story sounds too strange not to be true.

Better make sure to take pics next time. I'm sure a guy who flaunts a modded NSX won't mind.
I love the way you put it: "But the story sounds too strange not to be true."

How about camera phones? Every cell phone has a camera now!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
Spiffu
Regular User

I know I know, my cell phone doesn't have a proper picture transfer function though. But this was the only section to really talk about this.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Camera phones are good. But I don't have a camera on mine!

Take a picture of the picture you took on the cell phone? I'm sure you can find a way.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
thiago
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Camera phones are good. But I don't have a camera on mine!

Take a picture of the picture you took on the cell phone? I'm sure you can find a way.
Hahaha! yeah, usually you can upload them or send as an email. But it may require a data plan or a small fee or something. Most phones nowadays have at least a 1.3megapixel built-in camera and all of them with data capability.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
kennyken
Regular User

Location: Folkestone, Kent, United Kingdom (expensive petrol land)

i must see this nsx i am going to travel around the world till i find it goodbye all. Seriously though seem's odd to ditch the V6 maybe it was to try and make the car as light as possible who knows.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
nthfinity
Regular User

general chat w/out pictures. No big deal

A few years ago, I saw an odd NSX myself... full June JDM based NSX TT... that wasn't securely fastened in the shipping container, and had a damaged front and rear end (think of the tilting and tottering car in the container in the Pacific.

Car looked good.... but I never had any photos... went home to grab the camera, and the car was gone when I got back.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:23 PM   #10
torrentjunkie
Regular User

Originally Posted by Spiffu View Post

I was told the car makes over 450hp and that it's a "lambo killer" I don't know they meant countach or gallardo.
oh i'm sure its gallardo at least lol

wonder which 4cyl engine that is, maybe he took the V6 out to save weight or something...could it be an SR20 with twin turbos? if it is i can only imagine what it sounds like *drool*
Old 06-19-2008, 03:43 AM   #11
79TA
Regular User

He did it for the vtec! I'm guessing it was partly motivated by weight savings. Interesting sighting.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #12
Vansquish
Regular User

^^ But the NSX's V6 engine is a VTEC unit as well if memory serves...

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
79TA
Regular User

Yea, it does. I was just playing off of how it's more recognized on the Civic 4 cylinders.

Would an NSX of that year have the titanium connecting rods and all that fancy stuff? (yet no baffles in the oil pan! way to go honda . . . ) I wonder what became of the original engine.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
Pokiou
Regular User

i think the engine in that car might a h22a with a twin turbo setup... or a K20... either way ... turbo plus a 10k rev limit lol here comes powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:13 AM   #15
someguy509
Regular User

The engine swap could have been the result of a classing thing, that is it if it actually gets raced. Reminds me of the whole BMW inline six in a MINI thing...
someguy509 is offline   Reply With Quote