Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 04-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #1
|Nuno|
Regular User

Default Bernie wants 12 lap Qualifying back!

Ecclestone Wants Old Qualifying Back

Formula One team bosses will meet today at Imola to discuss changes to the current qualifying system, Bernie Ecclestone confirmed today.

"We are having a meeting and we will see what we can come up with," Ecclestone told Autosport-Atlas.

Team bosses will meet this afternoon with Ecclestone in the hope they can agree to change the current format, which has not proved popular among fans and television networks, with the grid being decided on the same day as the race.

Ecclestone admitted he would like to ditch the one-lap format and return to the previous system, with drivers running 12 laps.

However, he will need to unanimous approval of all teams to get it changed.

"I think it's easy to understand the aggregate times but people say it isn't, probably because the television people don't explain it properly," Ecclestone added.

"But, anyway, we ought to get it back to what it was before, everyone running altogether and the quickest guy is on pole, no fuel, nothing."
--------------------

Don't know if this will be possible with these year regulations (unless they change them), but still great news!
Old 04-22-2005, 01:45 PM   #2
Max Power

well Bernie says a lot of things, but this is a pleasant surprise
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

Finally theres someone out there with a grain of intelligence. I totally agree with Bernie on this one. BRING BACK 12 LAP QUALIFYING!!!!

Thnx for the news, nuno
Old 04-22-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
ZfrkS62
Regular User

thank you bernie, for pulling your head out of your ass!! :roll: now get rid of this god damn tire regulation and we;ll be set

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:04 PM   #5
gucom
Regular User

plz plz plz let the teams do the sensible thing and accept it...PLZ :roll:
Old 04-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #6
phantomfocus
Regular User

I'm just happy with the motion to change the qualifying schedule. If they later go and change the tire rule that would be great too. But you can't expect too much out Bernie.
phantomfocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:25 PM   #7
mindgam3
Regular User

lol, hes such an arsehole that man.... most people could have told him 3 years ago that 12 lap quali was perfectly fine....
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:28 PM   #8
RAMMIUS
Regular User

Yesssss , finally Bernie woke up !!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
|Nuno|
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
As we all said... the new rules are stupid... so I hope this is not the only "ok, the new rule is a shit, let's use the old one"... :roll:

However, Nuno, why do you open a thread saying "Bernie to change Qualifying" (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25856) and then you open this one??? we're talking about the same thing!
It's not exacly the same thing; one is the news of a possible change, while the other is the change.

But yeah, a new topic wouldn't really be necessary but I overlooked the previous one. Mods, feel free to merge both if you wish.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:55 PM   #10
ae86_16v
Regular User

Yeah, I like the 12 lap qualifying. It would be nice to change it back.

I liked last year's qualifying where it is just one hot lap. For some reason I do not like the same day Hot Lap though.

Good change!
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 09:08 AM   #11
mitsucars

Originally Posted by |Nuno|
Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
As we all said... the new rules are stupid... so I hope this is not the only "ok, the new rule is a shit, let's use the old one"... :roll:

However, Nuno, why do you open a thread saying "Bernie to change Qualifying" (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25856) and then you open this one??? we're talking about the same thing!
It's not exacly the same thing; one is the news of a possible change, while the other is the change.

But yeah, a new topic wouldn't really be necessary but I overlooked the previous one. Mods, feel free to merge both if you wish.
I locked the old topic to save confusion ...
Old 04-27-2005, 09:10 AM   #12
zondaland
Regular User

Looking back at the Imola race you would have to say that it was one of the best races in a very long time, however you would also have to say that the reason it was so good was because of the qualifying system, personally I dont like the current system but I think that in terms of producing good racing it is better than the twelve lap system. I remember a comment I think from Max Mosley that if you spend most of the weekend sorting out who is quickest and putting them at the front then it is hardly surprising that you end up with very little passing.

My own personal favourite system would be a twelve lap session then have the best time from that aggregated with a single race fuel lap. To me that way you get the best of both worlds, a thrilling qualifying session and also a slightly mixed up grid.
zondaland is offline   Reply With Quote