Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #16
graywolf624
Regular User

power sliding.. drifts...

Those aren't advanced driving techniques. Those are ways to play with the car.

Driving fast means knowing how not to drift or slide(well exception for sliding on a dirt track).

Sorry sore subject. The scca and their drift competions have me ticked off.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:15 PM   #17
Vansquish
Regular User

Drifting is all well and good...but like you said, it's definetely not the fastest way around a circuit...try it at an autocross sometime, you'll see what I mean hehe...as for pedal spacing, I haven't had too much trouble. There are a couple of different positions you can put your right foot into for heel-and-toe. The first position is with the ball of your foot on the brake and the heel on the accel, the other is with the better part of the foot on the brake and sliding over just far enough so that you can blip the accel with the right side of the foot...unfortunately with the latter position, it is very easy to slip off the brake pedal or miss the accel completely...it only really works in cars with closely-spaced pedals.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:24 PM   #18
Johns
Regular User

im practicin on my sideways but its hard to get it right unless the ground is wet
Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:25 PM   #19
blah
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
power sliding.. drifts...

Those aren't advanced driving techniques. Those are ways to play with the car.

Driving fast means knowing how not to drift or slide(well exception for sliding on a dirt track).

Sorry sore subject. The scca and their drift competions have me ticked off.
it is because they are trying to appeal to the younger crowd. i personally find drift competitions stupid and useless.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:36 PM   #20
Vansquish
Regular User

I know that drifting and sliding around are just hooliganry...I know that sliding means lost time and poor driving tactics in a race situation. However, I do think that learning the limits of ones car by doing some of this fooling around isn't a bad idea, as long as it is in relatively safe, sanitary conditions. I never do anything when there are other people around, as I fully understand the sort of damage a car can cause, not only to other vehicles and its surroundings, but to the occupants. I think that knowing the limits of ones car is a safety thing above all else, as it certainly helps when the weather is inclement. All the same, I won't support drift competitions or any of their ilk because they really preach bad driving habits...in close proximity to other vehicles and spectators...really idiotic...kind of like GIS1,2,3 etc...

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Old 01-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #21
BADMIHAI
Regular User

I'm pretty good with heel-toe shifting. I haven't yet had the opportunity to powerslide or drift or any of that stuff. BTW: drifting was invented by Japanese drivers as a cut-off/blocking manouver, so it may not be the quickest way around a corner, but it won't let the guy behind you pass you.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:52 PM   #22
gottacatchup
Regular User

when i lived in bogota my parents had to learn to do J turns and reverse 180 with a full car to get a liscence

for the street all those things are moronic and should not be attempted although u could try a little heel/toe-ing
Old 01-09-2004, 09:58 PM   #23
snacky
Regular User

REVERSE DONUTS ( on front drive car):

make sure there's nothing with which to collide is present.
turn the steering wheel, rev up the motor, and pop the clutch, continue to depress gas pedal. depending on surface, hand brake may be useful also.

You will destroy your car and pose yourself a danger to yourself and others upon contemplating this move.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:45 PM   #24
Vansquish
Regular User

If you really want to mess your FF car up...try "tray-sliding" on dirt...and make sure to chain the trays to the axle so that any roots that happen to stick up catch and rip off the rear wheels.

Old 01-09-2004, 10:58 PM   #25
snacky
Regular User

SLAM SHIFTING:

shifting gears in a manual transmission without touching the clutch. just match RPM with road speed and gear selected. I actually had to do this once when the clutch master cylinder gave out on the bimmer. up is easy, down is harder. if you do it right, it wont ""SLAM", you wont even notice the shift. I practiced this on my dad's pickup, 15 yrs later, that truck STILL doesn't have 1st gear. sorry dad. :roll:
Old 01-09-2004, 11:04 PM   #26
Vansquish
Regular User

In modern cars with synchromesh, if you apply pressure to the gearknob in the direction of an upshift or a downshift, the mechanism will actually begin to match revs and eventually the lever will slot into gear.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:09 PM   #27
snacky
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish
In modern cars with synchromesh, if you apply pressure to the gearknob in the direction of an upshift or a downshift, the mechanism will actually begin to match revs and eventually the lever will slot into gear.
theoretically YES, but if the revs aren't matched close enough, you'll still GRIND the shift. it adds wear to the syncros, (also depending on model, not all gears are synched, like reverse?) Do it enough and you'll lose a gear, as I did.

woops. when I wrote lost 1st gear, I meant it wont stay in 1st by itself. it actually has 1st gear. I just have to hold it in.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:27 PM   #28
Vansquish
Regular User

yup, I know hehe...I've lost 2 gears in the process...and it was a prototype vehicle too.

Old 01-11-2004, 09:30 PM   #29
zevolv
Regular User

that sucks I've never experienced a car with messed up gears
Old 01-12-2004, 01:32 AM   #30
asthenia
Regular User

Messed up synchros teach you about how transmissions work. My first car had a busted synchro on 2nd, so if you didn't time the shifts just right you'd hear that awful graunch noise, and the vibrations up your arm would chatter your teeth.

I didn't have the car for long, but I did get the hang of those shifts...
asthenia is offline   Reply With Quote