Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
philip
Regular User

Default Corvette could be gone along with GM

I always thought GM would just declare Chapter 11 bankruptcy and the stockholders, unions and retirees would get the shaft.

Apparently there is no one to lend them the cash they need to stay in business for a strategic bankruptcy.

Sounds like if Bush or Obama don't save them they will file Chapter 7 which is liquidation. Production would stop.

Corvette could be bought by someone and saved or Tata or someone like that could just buy the Corvette trademark and attach it to a sedan.

Here's the story.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...efer=worldwide
Old 11-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
pagani
Regular User

I hope someone buys the corvette brand and the production of the wonderfull zr1 will go on
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani View Post
I hope someone buys the corvette brand and the production of the wonderfull zr1 will go on
GM's foot isn't in the grave yet.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
GM's foot isn't in the grave yet.
Lets all hope
Old 11-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Its not that simple - the Corvette and even the ZR1 is only what it is - because it is a Chevy product.

The car shares many parts with the rest of the GM lineup, parts that allow the whole car to be built for lesss than the cost of a set of Enzo wheels and brakes

If the "brand" was sold to someone else they would be faced with sourcing the many under-the-cover part and shipping them to some foriegn land where a new production line would be brought online to do what?

Build a few "ZR1's" to sell for $800,000 each?

Undersatnd that the 30,000+ "regular" Corvettes that are sold every year are what allows the car to exist.

If GM doesnt survive, I say just let the Corvette brand die a dignified death and we should all move on
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Its not that simple - the Corvette and even the ZR1 is only what it is - because it is a Chevy product.

The car shares many parts with the rest of the GM lineup, parts that allow the whole car to be built for lesss than the cost of a set of Enzo wheels and brakes

If the "brand" was sold to someone else they would be faced with sourcing the many under-the-cover part and shipping them to some foriegn land where a new production line would be brought online to do what?

Build a few "ZR1's" to sell for $800,000 each?

Undersatnd that the 30,000+ "regular" Corvettes that are sold every year are what allows the car to exist.

If GM doesnt survive, I say just let the Corvette brand die a dignified death and we should all move on
I hope that the corvette will not go down whit the rest of gm
Old 11-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

I hope that the corvette will not go down whit the rest of gm
I do.

The brand is what it is because of what it is - it is not a niche brand, it is not a boutique car - it is Amercia's sports car born out of a company that makes sedans and trucks.

If the company goes, then the car needs to as well.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
10000rpmlover
Regular User

if GM goes under, I would want at least 2 brands to continue, even if they are built in australia, pontiac and chevy should continue, mainly because I am so ready to buy a camaro SS... if they dissapear I will be faced with a dilemma, no one makes a car I like, so unless the RX-7 makes a comeback by the time I need a new car, (hint hint) I will be left out in the cold or have to settle for some BS car that I will never be happy with (like a cockmobile audi or BMW)

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 10000rpmlover View Post
if GM goes under, I would want at least 2 brands to continue, even if they are built in australia, pontiac and chevy should continue,
THis migh tbe the answer after all - maybe it is time General Motors sheds another 1 or 2 of its product lines.

Ditch Olds and Pontiac and just keep Chevrolet and Cadillac. Pull a few Pontiac products under the Chevy brnd and then toss the rest.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
pagani
Regular User

THis migh tbe the answer after all - maybe it is time General Motors sheds another 1 or 2 of its product lines.

Ditch Olds and Pontiac and just keep Chevrolet and Cadillac. Pull a few Pontiac products under the Chevy brnd and then toss the rest.
That sounds more like it
And jay leno schoold be the ceo
Old 11-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #11
10000rpmlover
Regular User

I thought they closed shop for oldsmobile a few years ago, maybe you meant BUICK, yes I think buicks should go and yes I wouldn't be mad if some interesting pontiacs end up under the chevy brand, they own Daewoo also as well as Saab (at least for controlling saab imports to the USA)

it would be a sad day if GM goes away for good, something must live on

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #12
Mattk
Regular User

Streamlining the brands is a good start, but only that. After all, a lot of the time, it means nothing. All (I think) GM cars in Australia are now marketed under a Holden badge, absorbing Daewoo cars, mainly. Every single GM car in China is a Buick. I guess this can streamline part of GM's operations, but it's not going to save them yet.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
Streamlining the brands is a good start, but only that. After all, a lot of the time, it means nothing. All (I think) GM cars in Australia are now marketed under a Holden badge, absorbing Daewoo cars, mainly. Every single GM car in China is a Buick. I guess this can streamline part of GM's operations, but it's not going to save them yet.
Until the UAW is removed and trashed the US auto makers are doomed.

Unions killed the US auto industry - period.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:40 AM   #14
HeilSvenska
Regular User

The real cash drain on GM is Saab. It needs to either sell it or kill it. It's been useless for far too long.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:20 AM   #15
Mattk
Regular User

Holden make there own V6 engines now so Buick is no longer needed...

As much as Whitlam was wrong when he said we were the 'arse end of the world', it's not all about us. All Chinese GM cars are sold under Buick. They absolutely dominate the Chinese market with Volkswagen their only realistic competitor. It is recognised and respected by the Chinese market, which is larger than the US market. Buick in China will be what saves GM, if it can be saved at all. It is a brand it cannot afford to cut.