Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #46
blue8
Regular User

No conspiracy here but some sour-grapes (in my opinion) from Planet F1 (I like their site but it is quite biased)
In the wake of Fernando Alonso's unexpected victory at the Singapore GP, attention has turned to his opening lap overtaking moves.
Just as Lewis Hamilton was penalised for gaining an advantage for cutting a chicane at Spa, replays of the first corner incident have shown that Alonso's first corner momentum was aided greatly by his failure to use the circuit.
Starting from 15th on the grid, Alonso was on a low-fuel, soft tyre strategy in a bid to make up places as quickly as possible on the opening lap. He placed his Renault tight into the inside of the track at Turn 1 with almost no room to make the turn and simply cut the chicane to avoid getting stuck in the traffic jam of other cars.
His failure to take the racing line into the corner alongside Jenson Button's Honda allowed him to overtake the Brit and claim 12th place on the opening lap, while Button slipped down to 14th place.
Stewards decided not to investigate this or the moves of Nelson Piquet and Nick Heidfeld who also benefitted from not using the tarmac.
Alonso and Heidfeld were both critical of Hamilton's move at Spa with Alonso pointing out that even though Hamilton did not gain a place on Kimi Raikkonen he would not have had the same momentum if he had been forced to take the chicane "that is what they are there for" said the Spaniard.

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #47
Nikkolaz
Regular User

im so "depressed" with the results
Nikkolaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #48
mts6800
Regular User

Originally Posted by blue8 View Post
Yes I was glad we had 61 laps of racing! BTW, how do they determine the number of laps? I always thought that they had a minimum no. of km to cover. If I remember correctly, the track time at Spa is around 1:40+ so I assumed that like that track, Singapore would also have around 44 laps...
Without looking it up I believe the distance is 300 KM. Singapore is a bit over 5 KM, the formation lap is, I believe, not a racing lap but is counted in the total. So 60 racing laps at 5+ KM is the 300 KM minimum length.

After the race start all laps are racing laps, even if under SC.

There is also a 2 hour maximum time limit. Alonso finished in 1:57:15 so they were really close to the 2 hour maximum time limit.
mts6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:50 AM   #49
Spiffu
Regular User

This was definitely the best F1 race thus far this year.

I just downloaded it off mininova, I was guessing what misfortune was going to happen to massa next. First the fuel hose, then the drive through penalty, then he spins out!

Then Raikkonen crashes. I mean, if we peel of the Ferrari badges will we see Alfa symbols?

One of the commentators in the show said Louis could place 2nd in every race from now with Massa getting 1st and still win the drivers championship.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:06 AM   #50
Mattk
Regular User

^Yes, Hamilton can afford to lose six points, so an average of two per race. Massa needs wins like never before.

This night race concept is really interesting. It's totally converted me. It's a whole new environment and I'm keen to see it expanded.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:11 AM   #51
5vz-fe
Regular User

Unfortunately, Hamilton still have a joker card up his sleeve.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:07 AM   #52
blue8
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
^Yes, Hamilton can afford to lose six points, so an average of two per race. Massa needs wins like never before.

This night race concept is really interesting. It's totally converted me. It's a whole new environment and I'm keen to see it expanded.
So does Bernie... in fact, he says Suzuka is his next target. If that does push through, imagine how great races will be!!!

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:57 AM   #53
SHIZL
Regular User

pretty cool everything about them hope they continue with the plan with suzuka
SHIZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #54
Mattk
Regular User

Unfortunately, Hamilton still have a joker card up his sleeve.
What joker card? Is his car the new incarnation of KITT or something?

Suzuka is one of the best top-level tracks and I think it would be fantastic to see a redeveloped circuit with floodlights.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #55
Alelanza
Regular User

Joker card= 1 engine change with no penalty. Can be done once a season outside of the 2 races per engine rule. both Ferraris have used theirs, and i think Heikki as well
Alelanza is offline   Reply With Quote