Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default 2010 Ford Mustang Countdown and spy pictures

Yes, yes. The Mustang had live rear axle, yada yada yada. We've all heard that before.
But the Mustang was always about affordable V8. Secretary car with style, etc...

http://www.fordvehicles.com/the2010mustang/

Released sometimes in November, just in time for the LA Auto Show.

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 09-09-2008 at 11:36 AM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
Spiffu
Regular User

By all the spy shots of seen so far of test mules, the new cars being based on this.

http://seriouswheels.com/cars/top-20...ro-Concept.htm

If ford get's there shit together, they'll stop catering to the drag racing crowd and bring the mustang into the 21st century.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
pagani
Regular User

Smile

Originally Posted by Spiffu View Post
By all the spy shots of seen so far of test mules, the new cars being based on this.

http://seriouswheels.com/cars/top-20...ro-Concept.htm

If ford get's there shit together, they'll stop catering to the drag racing crowd and bring the mustang into the 21st century.
The need to have indepent rear suspension.
Not more ancient shit.
And than ford wil have a real winner.
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

I've seen this car with NO camo, and the next gen GT500 with no camo. The car really does look "that" much better. In some ways, it looks like how the Nissan GTR "should have looked" The 500's front vents are better then the current GT500, but not quite as cool (nor expensive) as the GT500 KR.

The competition will be very surprised by the base GT... VERY surprised.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
Minacious
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
I've seen this car with NO camo, and the next gen GT500 with no camo. The car really does look "that" much better. In some ways, it looks like how the Nissan GTR "should have looked" The 500's front vents are better then the current GT500, but not quite as cool (nor expensive) as the GT500 KR.

The competition will be very surprised by the base GT... VERY surprised.
Does it look like that concept above?
Old 08-15-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
Does it look like that concept above?
The nose isn't so terribly different. basically, a lower nose with a more pronounced chin. The way the lower door sil line goes into the window sill/ fender flair is nice (not a direct contiguous line) and the rear end is reworked a little.... finally LED sequentially activated tail lights...

and power....
Old 08-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
fabro_s
Regular User

The nose isn't so terribly different. basically, a lower nose with a more pronounced chin. The way the lower door sil line goes into the window sill/ fender flair is nice (not a direct contiguous line) and the rear end is reworked a little.... finally LED sequentially activated tail lights...

and power....
Hey nth, how did you get to see it first than anybody

Is it like the Guigiaro Cocnept in terms of looks, similar???

Does it look better than the Camaro?????

Lucky you!

"Perfezione Leggera Italiana"
fabro_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by fabro_s View Post
Hey nth, how did you get to see it first than anybody

Is it like the Guigiaro Cocnept in terms of looks, similar???

Does it look better than the Camaro?????

Lucky you!
It is based on the S197's looks, just modified. Some people may be dissatisfied that it's not a "whole new body" but that is just stupid talk. We are just 3 years into the current cycle. The SN95 took all of 5 years before there was a significant body re-sculpting.

It does, however, look very good.

It is no Guigiaro

How did I see it? Well, we can't all kiss and tell.... especially with prying eyes.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
Spiffu
Regular User

It had better not be a S197 with just a few new panels, new front end etc. They need a new chassis and suspension for the car.

It's an 06 dammit!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #10
r2r
Regular User

Seen a disguised one cruising on Woodward today!

The new one has pretty much identical proportions as the current one.
r2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Spiffu View Post
It had better not be a S197 with just a few new panels, new front end etc. They need a new chassis and suspension for the car.
New suspension and new chassis? ..... I've got to be careful not to insult you here... but do you have ANY idea how advanced the chassis on the Mustang is? Ford laid down a serious gauntlet, where the car's handling limiting factor is far far far from the chassis; it is the corporate suspension, which can easily be rectified with some components from the aftermarket.

When you start seeing the lap times of the heavy GT500 KR, you might get my drift; but I'm still not so sure.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
HeilSvenska
Regular User

and the rear end is reworked a little.... finally LED sequentially activated tail lights...

and power....
LOL, really? That's pretty awesome.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #13
79TA
Regular User

New suspension and new chassis? ..... I've got to be careful not to insult you here... but do you have ANY idea how advanced the chassis on the Mustang is? Ford laid down a serious gauntlet, where the car's handling limiting factor is far far far from the chassis; it is the corporate suspension, which can easily be rectified with some components from the aftermarket.

When you start seeing the lap times of the heavy GT500 KR, you might get my drift; but I'm still not so sure.

S197 suspension geometry is very well thought out. These cars, unlike foxes and SN95's, aren't going to need all sorts of new mounting points for a good racing suspension (FR500C anyone?) While I wish I had the understanding to argue the chassis tuning points myself, I'll just make an appeal to authority here and reference Grassroots Motorsports Magazine.

The Mustang should come with IRS, even if only to make the whiners shut up, but it bothers me that all that went into the current 3-link set up is completely ignored. Nevermind that most of the IRS whiners don't even understand the advantages of IRS in any sort of depth. If they were teenage girls, one might think IRS was an essential fashion accessory. It's not like I hear them complaining about the importance of camber control over bumpy surfaces or anything. For all they care, the Mustang might as well have front leaf springs. If one really intends to go 7-10/10's around corners (not that likely around town) on bumpy roads, then that person has every right to want IRS. If not, they probably just want another feature to brag about on their car, not unlike pickup truck owners who never haul anything. None of that is intended as a stab at members of this forum, who thankfully tend to be more on top of things, but rather the average unsubstantiated rhetoric that one finds at car meets and in half-hearted car reviews from publications that aren't primarily automotive in theme.

IRS should be standard on some of the performance models (Shelby's for sure) but the live axle should remain an option for anyone with serious drag racing pretentions. The V6's that make up 2/3's of the sales don't seem worthy of IRS.

If anything, I'd like to see the Shelby cars in a somehow lighter form. Carbon fiber? Fiberglass? Less sound deadener and other luxuries? I don't know what they'd do, but the Mustang isn't a car that should ever weigh two tons (3950 or however much the GT500 weighed.)

SIgh, I'm not exactly looking forward to the '10 reveal, because I absolutely love the looks of the current 'stang. Time marches on though.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #14
nthfinity
Regular User

FYI

the chassis on the S197 is more rigid then a SN95 with a FULL roll cage. It is so rigid, that engineers had to design areas for flex to be stressed at, as it was almost "too rigid"

TA, you really are making some fantastic content here lately
Old 08-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #15
Spiffu
Regular User

I am well aware of the hidden talents of the S197, I know as much from the mods I have done to my own car. And I know how well the racing variants have done in the the Grand Am series.

However, I want to see the new iteration be a well represented, technically equipped and well powered. I want the stock car to be the equivalent of the Corvette in it's price range. I don't want to hear about "well if you do this mod to it, it'll be as good." No, Ford can't rely on that kind of word of mouth anymore.

I want to see the new stang being tuned around the Nurburgring.

It's an 06 dammit!