Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 06-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #16
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v View Post
"I have to apologise to the team because I didn't do a great job"

After qualifying.

I don't think so, with comments like that. He has always thank the Team and always "seem" to put team before himself.

In terms of the comment about the Great Driver, seems to be taken out of context in the sense that he could have said it half-kidding.

But yeah, personally I don't think he is arrogant yet, but I do agree with everyone that anyone like him in Formula 1, must have certain degree of ego to get there.
I think you are reading this wrong. My own translation would be "Sorry, if I were to get the turn correctly, Kimi will not have the fastest time"

I mean, why on earth would you apologize to the team in public for 3rd place. You could have easily walk to the team and say, hey, I screw up the turn, sorry.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #17
RT87
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
The man spent $400,000 on a "LEW 1S" license plate. Yes. He is a twat.
That was a rumour. He said in Thursday press conference that he did not. why would anyone pay that much for a license plate? unless you're the sultan of dubai.
RT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #18
5vz-fe
Regular User

^Try again. You would be surprise at how many rich ppl pay hundreds of thousands to get a nice plate.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6257402/mi...tly/index.html

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/07...-paid-for.html
Old 06-22-2008, 08:07 AM   #19
fordgt84
Regular User

hamilton has a few words of his own

http://www.f1update.com/fullstory/vi...e_media_image/

Lewis Hamilton has dismissed suggestions that he is the latest example of a formula one driver seduced by the sport's glamorous temptations.

The McLaren driver's comments at the Magny-Cours circuit were prompted by incorrect reports that he blew $400,000 on a personalised number-plate.

Amid other reports of glitzy film premieres, awards nights and dating pop stars, 23-year-old Hamilton insists that the media has got it wrong.

"There's not really a lot I can do about it," he said.

"I'm just not into that sort of thing. I really want to enjoy it but I don't have to be walking down a red carpet. I've never wanted that sort of treatment," Hamilton is quoted as saying by British newspapers.

"I have experienced it in some places but I'm not looking for events to go to so I can be seen. I just enjoy being sat in the back like any other member of the audience. I like to meet people but then people start making stories out of it."

He also seems miffed by the intense criticism that followed his embarrassing crash in the Montreal pitlane two weeks ago.

"I can take constructive criticism, but I don't read any of it. You hear about (the media reports), but what difference should that make to me, because I am doing my job and I am enjoying myself?"

Hamilton insists that negative press reportage doesn't bother him.

He told reporters in France: "It does not affect my life in any way, shape or form. Sure, the opinion you end up giving people does affect you because at the end of the day I am not a mean guy and I am out there doing the best job that I can.

"Small mistakes happen. I am sure that everyone makes similar mistakes to those I do, but you're not in the spotlight like me.

"People try and make me something that I'm not, but the majority of the time, 99.9 per cent of the time, it's only my dad's opinion that matters."

fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #20
Mattk
Regular User

I just enjoy being sat in the back like any other member of the audience. I like to meet people but then people start making stories out of it.

Ha! Then what was that performance as Zeus just before the Turkish Grand Prix?

Old 06-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #21
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post

Ha! Then what was that performance as Zeus just before the Turkish Grand Prix?

LOL!
Old 06-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #22
Pokiou
Regular User

All i can say is:
we can all say what we want.. but at the end of the day his doing what we can never do!

on another not. I think his fed up with all the FIA bullshit that FIA do to him.. like the last race... getting a drive through .. that was just sick and was sooo favorable to Ferrari... also the race for 3rd spot.. McLaren getting nudged by the Toyota. .... Ferrari's exhaust hanging lose ??? why wasn't that called in to be taken care of.. im sure if i was behind that Ferrari i would back right off, cause the last thing i want is a exhaust in my forehead.! I bet if it was McLaren, they would of started a whole investigation and then stopped the race and then burnt the cars... so im fed up... just like Hamilton.

Anyways.
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #23
turpija
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pokiou View Post
All i can say is:
we can all say what we want.. but at the end of the day his doing what we can never do!
what?
crash in to the world champion(Kimi) while pit is closed?
turpija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #24
Pokiou
Regular User

if you want to look at it that way... i know who's bank account is bigger between you and him.
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #25
lincoln
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
Any team run by the likes of Ron Dennis . . . . . . should be shunned by anybody with any scruples.
Spot on!

Lewis is a different matter though, I think he is getting arrogant but then he is one of the best drivers in the world so probably deserves to be arrogant.

If you want to talk about arrogant, remember Senna? He is looked upon as a God by some people (not me by the way, I thought he was the man who Schumi learnt to cheat from, which then spoiled an otherwise brilliant career). He thought he had a God given right to win (Senna, not Schumi) and would simply drive through anyone in his way (e.g. Prost).

Lewis does not seem to be like that at all. I just hope he leaves McLaren and joins Ferrari at some point! Unlikely I know, but I can dream.

Last edited by lincoln; 06-22-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: I really should read my post before hitting enter!
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:19 PM   #26
arguapacha
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pokiou View Post
if you want to look at it that way... i know who's bank account is bigger between you and him.
Then I suppose he's there for the money...

Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Spot on!

Lewis is a different matter though, I think he is getting arrogant but then he is one of the best drivers in the world so probably deserves to be arrogant.

If you want to talk about arrogant, remember Senna? He is looked upon as a God by some people (not me by the way, I thought he was the man who Schumi learnt to cheat from, which then spoiled an otherwise brilliant career). He thought he had a God given right to win (Senna, not Schumi) and would simply drive through anyone in his way (e.g. Prost).

Lewis does not seem to be like that at all. I just hope he leaves McLaren and joins Ferrari at some point! Unlikely I know, but I can dream.
OMG. I thought I was the only one that had that kind of blasphemy in my mind! I completely agree with you.
arguapacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #27
5vz-fe
Regular User

A lot of people in the world deserve to be arrogant. The question is, do they have to be? Is there a need for? Does it add value to what he/she is doing?

It's not about we'll ever be him, but we actually contribute to his fame by discussing him, turning on the TV, or read news on him. It is the same way you criticize a car when you test drive it. Can you build a car yourself? Without audience, he's just a racer with no value.

There are a few top drivers in the Formula one line up, each deserve to be arrogant, but for me, I would rather support the one that is not.

(I do have to say I enjoy Clarkson being so arrogant on TV, it gives value to Topgear)
Old 06-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #28
Mattk
Regular User

^Well said. It seems Hamilton thrives on notoreity. Not the first, won't be the last. However, I don't think that's helpful.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #29
arguapacha
Regular User

Paraphrasing Ronspeak: Lewis Hamilton makes history... the press only writes about it
arguapacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #30
5vz-fe
Regular User

^And yet to win a WDC.