Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 10-19-2004, 02:55 PM   #1
number77
Regular User

Default 99% chance of 7.0L block

427 cu.in.
7.0L
this was casted on the cts-vr engine block

from that and a inblock knock sensor it is most likey the production block. the same intake was also used on the woodward GTO. which points to a "goat"/"judge" being on the way

edit: also note the exhaust ports. :shock:

edit: word is the the next gto will have the ls7 block, this is suppost to be it.(not to be confused with the entire ls7/z06 engine)
number77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 03:59 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

if I am not mistaken that is the 427 C5-R block - which if the case would be a superb base for a street car.. but either way, C5-R blocks are only about $5,000 each - a mere drop the ocean ..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
FoxFour
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
if I am not mistaken that is the 427 C5-R block - which if the case would be a superb base for a street car.. but either way, C5-R blocks are only about $5,000 each - a mere drop the ocean ..
Actually, that's not a bad price for a bare block. Get a production facility to make a few thousand of these and the cost comes down a little. If GM produced a 427 engine for a production car, could it meet CAFE standards? Would cylinder deactivation at cruise be enough?
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 09:50 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by FoxFour
If GM produced a 427 engine for a production car, could it meet CAFE standards?
It better...

Would cylinder deactivation at cruise be enough?
They better not even try this nonsense... EVER!!!! :x :x :x :x

Until now the car has been able to meet and beat EPA requirements (and is an ULEV at this time) by using transmission tricks and muffler muffling...

If you want a V6 - buy a V6... but take this "cylinder deactivation" and shove it...
Old 10-21-2004, 12:53 AM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
If GM produced a 427 engine for a production car, could it meet CAFE standards?
It better...

Would cylinder deactivation at cruise be enough?
They better not even try this nonsense... EVER!!!! :x :x :x :x

Until now the car has been able to meet and beat EPA requirements (and is an ULEV at this time) by using transmission tricks and muffler muffling...

If you want a V6 - buy a V6... but take this "cylinder deactivation" and shove it...
if you recall, the ZR-1 had the option before you would start the car, i know nobody who has done this

also, my understanding is the 7.0 liter block in the next Z is meeting cafe and Euro IV (or is it eruo V)with all 8 cylinders rounching about, and muffling the mufflers when not fully cracked open. comparable highway milage to the z06... perhaps better.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:39 AM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
if you recall, the ZR-1 had the option before you would start the car, i know nobody who has done this

The ZR-1 Valet switch simply dissabled half the injectors effectively cropping about 200hp off the top.. and being a driver operated key on the center console is a lot better than some nansy-pansy tree-hugger crap..
Old 10-21-2004, 04:12 PM   #7
number77
Regular User

just got conformation that that isn't a c5-r block. intake appears to be an ls7. so i'm 99% still that this is it.
edit: ok and the heads will flow 370cfm :shock:
number77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:55 PM   #8
ZfrkS62
Regular User

If GM produced a 427 engine for a production car, could it meet CAFE standards? Would cylinder deactivation at cruise be enough?
why else do you think they are bringing out crappy little cars like the aveo and cobalt? with high mileage cars like those that gives GM some elbow room to squeak by with a gas hog like a 427.

chances are they will scale back the fuel trim and run it pretty lean at cruise. i don't think they'll start cutting fuel to cylinders, in an engine that big you would have to up the fuel delivery in the remaining cylinders.

it would be better if they could control the mixture for each individual cylinder the way the M5's V10 does. (it measures the ionic charge of the exhaust gasses after it fires and a control unit on top of the ignition coil figures out the fuel trim for that cylinder's next firing sequence. so baisicaly you have 10, 50hp engines in one block )

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:38 PM   #9
graywolf624
Regular User

427 engine for a production car, could it meet CAFE standards?
The c5r street block already does. In such tuner cars as the zl1 supercar.

The issue is.. that engine (complete prepped).. runs 25000.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote