Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 09-23-2004, 10:10 AM   #16
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
No matter what you say the cheapest and easiest car to make HP from is the Mustang and it always will be.
haha, i would agree with that.

yea i highly doubt that the cobra will be able to run with the new Z06, but im sure it will be within spitting distance just as the 03 cobra was pretty close to the 03 Z06. 390 hp to 405 hp. obviously im talking acceleration here and not around a track.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:15 AM   #17
nthfinity
Regular User

thats pretty poor considering gm has an alluminum 427 that pushes 600 hp na at the crank.
yes... is the 600hp na a street legal version? or is that the C5-R? its a world of difference there, requiring engine re-builds, and less reliabiltiy. before one argues aftermarket, the engine will be quite modfiable to give insane numbers. i love the corvette, and would choose to own one over a mustang most days.
I HIGHLY doubt that Ford will build a mustang that will be able to run with the Z06. With the current models (2004) Even a bone stock Z06 will beat an SVT. (Thats exceptionally sad because the mustang even has a supercharger on it.)
i seriously dont know why people have a problem with OEM SC :idea: it is quite the reality that the next cobra is going to be super fucking fast in the straights, and definately 'improved' in the corners; although im unsure how much.

T-Bird, if Ford felt that the Corvette wasnt part of its competition, you have another thing coming. the Stang will offer the next best straight perferomance levels compared to the vette, although, we will see about something like the GTO, or F body if it is re-ignited. the Cobra hasnt always been faster then the SS, or WS-6. in fact, the slogan found on a wall at the SVT assembly line states the number 1 reason why people buy Cobra's ..."I couldn't get a corvette"
It just isn't going to happen any time soon. Sorry Ford guys. For the price, the Z06 is still going to be the best bang for the buck money can buy.
not every one can afford a new/used Z06; quite obviously... less money, simlar power output ratings (yes, more weight... duh)
the new Cobra will be quite a bit faster in the straights then the current Z... but thats really not such a good comparison... and its years away
Old 09-23-2004, 05:02 PM   #18
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
not every one can afford a new/used Z06; quite obviously...
With higher mileage used 2001 Z's showing up at less than $30,000 - they are a really difficult option to pass up.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 05:15 PM   #19
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
OK who gives a fuck if the Z06 can beat a Cobra...
NO SHIT! they aren't contenders, the Corvette is a Sports car and the Cobra is a Muscle Car they are different and yeah Ford installed a Supercharger on their car but think about it, they have a smaller engine than the Corvette has I'm sure if Ford spent the time to build a 6.0L V8 they would be just fine considering the GT has a smaller engine than that and it has 550hp so if they went bigger they could do it and if they go to a 7.0L they can throw a SC on that too and kick the shit out of your precious Corvette, the fact is that the new Mustang will be one hell of a car if you haven't noticed lately Bill Ford has been letting alot of better cars out the door so the idea of a very quick Mustang isn't out of the Question although I think they have let that up to all their outside contracts like Steeda, Roush, Saleen, Kenny Brown and now Shelby so you won't have a hard time finding a Fast as Fuck Warrantied (key word) Car and considering Saleen and Shelby like to shoe horn large engines in smaller areas you can probably expect some very large hp numbers from them that could kick the shit out of a Z06. No matter what you say the cheapest and easiest car to make HP from is the Mustang and it always will be.
Some one got beat by a Vette?
Actually today I outran one to the merge on the way to School, It was a C5 convertible Automatic but still.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 12:16 PM   #20
RC45
Regular User

NO SHIT! they aren't contenders, the Corvette is a Sports car and the Cobra is a Muscle Car they are different and yeah Ford installed a Supercharger on their car but think about it, they have a smaller engine than the Corvette has I'm sure if Ford spent the time to build a 6.0L V8 they would be just fine considering the GT has a smaller engine than that and it has 550hp so if they went bigger they could do it and if they go to a 7.0L they can throw a SC on that too and kick the shit out of your precious Corvette, the fact is that the new Mustang will be one hell of a car if you haven't noticed lately Bill Ford has been letting alot of better cars out the door so the idea of a very quick Mustang isn't out of the Question although I think they have let that up to all their outside contracts like Steeda, Roush, Saleen, Kenny Brown and now Shelby so you won't have a hard time finding a Fast as Fuck Warrantied (key word) Car and considering Saleen and Shelby like to shoe horn large engines in smaller areas you can probably expect some very large hp numbers from them that could kick the shit out of a Z06. No matter what you say the cheapest and easiest car to make HP from is the Mustang and it always will be.
Actually today I outran one to the merge on the way to School, It was a C5 convertible Automatic but still.
No contest beating up on a hairdressers car
Old 09-25-2004, 08:37 PM   #21
nthfinity
Regular User

LMAO!!!!
at least the mustang cobras arent offered as auto boxes... its bad enough that the are optioned as drop tops
Old 09-25-2004, 08:57 PM   #22
blah
Regular User

He didnt say he beat to a Boxster.

BTW the regular boxsters sound like shit. Sound like the valves cant decide if they want to be open or closed.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:17 PM   #23
graywolf624
Regular User

"No matter what you say the cheapest and easiest car to make HP from is the Mustang and it always will be."

I disagree.. judging by the camaro numbers.

yes... is the 600hp na a street legal version? or is that the C5-R? its a world of difference there, requiring engine re-builds, and less reliabiltiy. before one argues aftermarket, the engine will be quite modfiable to give insane numbers. i love the corvette, and would choose to own one over a mustang most days.
Yup.. the c5-r street block..
They sell it.. its 48 state road legal.. and they sold it in the zl1 supercar.. also road legal and warrentied for 3 years.

the Cobra hasnt always been faster then the SS, or WS-6. in fact, the slogan found on a wall at the SVT assembly line states the number 1 reason why people buy Cobra's ..."I couldn't get a corvette"
the cobra has never been faster then the ss or ws6 around corners. Hell the camaro has been superior in corners since 1980.. and only recently in straight line. aka after the camaro bowed out.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 12:24 AM   #24
FoxFour
Regular User

After reading some information about the agreements between GM and the Canadian Auto workers union that until the year 2017, the Camaro can not be made anywhere else but at the place where the last gen models were built. And seeing that the old plant has been totally destroyed, just don't see now that it will be built; for now. Now I have been hearing rumors about a possible Chevelle.
Being that I just finished paying off my Cobra, think I will keep it for a while. With a little bit of planning and some work on my part, I'm going to modify the suspension so it will be a competent performer. Oh, and in the next month or two I'm going to have every 2005 GT coming up to me for a challenge
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 12:27 AM   #25
FoxFour
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
the cobra has never been faster then the ss or ws6 around corners. Hell the camaro has been superior in corners since 1980.. and only recently in straight line. aka after the camaro bowed out.
My old SVO would say otherwise, both when the suspension was in stock or modified form
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 11:54 AM   #26
graywolf624
Regular User

My old SVO would say otherwise, both when the suspension was in stock or modified form
actually no it couldnt versus the same year.. could be the nut behind the wheel or the lower versus higher model.. but a mustang suspension just isnt as good as a camaros from 82+...

It cant keep versus the top of the line camaros of the time. The mustang suspension is inherintly flawed. (mostly in the rear due to what is commonly refered to as qudra bind). the camaros was superior in every way in terms of suspension design (the benefit of using a pan hard rod system, which is so much better that alot of mustang guys switch over to the system). Even the guys road racing mustangs will tell you that. Theres a reason the 80s camaros where car and drivers car of the year and the late 80s irocs pulled .92 g on the skid pad. In the 90s there is simply no contest... mcpherson strut cant compete with sla in modified form and the rear was still qudra binding like crazy in the mustang

until the year 2017, the Camaro can not be made anywhere else but at the place where the last gen models were built
actually its 2007 not 2017. Information direct from the mouth of the brand manager of camaro when I talked to him a year ago.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 04:29 PM   #27
RC45
Regular User

I ran across this Roush yesterday - it was quick but not impressivley fast (I waited for him to catch up.. ).

I take it there are different degrees of Roush-ness.. and the entry level Roush's are not that fast ... is this correct?

Old 09-26-2004, 04:35 PM   #28
T-Bird
Regular User

what you have there is a Roush Mustang Sport V6 it is basically a bodykit and suspension along with the side exhaust with an optional cold air intake. nothing too special.

At the moment there are 6 levels of Roush Mustangs.
1. Sport (V6) as seen above
2. Stage 1 standard bolt ons and nice bodykit/suspension
3. Stage 2 stage 1 + frame stiffining and transmission/brakes upgrades
4. Stage 3 adds supercharger, even shorter shifter, bigger brakes lightweight wheels and custom embroidering on seats. And other options
5. 380R 380 hp with alot of tuning and only 200 per year
6. 440A SC 400hp tons of modifications (everything available) 40 in existence commemorative edition for final run.

The 380R is faster bar none than a Cobra and has an amazing suspension really nimble compared to normal Cobra's handling faster in a straight line although it has less hp so it is a contender and it cost the same as a Cobra.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 05:08 PM   #29
blah
Regular User

id rather have a S351 Saleen.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:12 PM   #30
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by blah
id rather have a S351 Saleen.
S281
unless you buy it used