Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Bike Chat

Old 08-19-2005, 08:36 AM   #1
TT
Regular User

Default Infos/advices on two bikes: CBR 900 & Aprilia 1000 RSVR

I am really not used to surf the net for bike stuff, so I have no idea where to look really, for good reviews or riding impressions :roll:

If you tested yourself one of them, don't be ashamed to share your impressions

Url to good reviews would be highly appreciated too

What a long post, sorry but I am in a rush
Old 08-19-2005, 08:54 AM   #2
TransAm
Regular User

RSVR is the 'trick' version of the RSV, the 'R' has Marchesini (sp?) wheels, Oehlins suspension, etc.

CBR900 has evolved since it's incarnation in the early nineties, model was revised in about 1999, going to a CBR929cc then a CBR954cc in 2002.

The later CBRs are more user friendly than the original CBR900 so I hear, they are very forgiving, stable, and don't headshake very easily.

I researched the CBR929RR very much as it was on my shortlist when I was buying my ZX7R (which I still havent provided custom pics of ops: )

The CBR would probably be the better streetbike, the RSVR the better track bike. Reliability-wise I would trust the Honda much more than the Aprilia.

My heart says Aprilia RSV, my head says CBR, if that makes sense

CBR

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Hon...ade/Page_1.htm

http://www.motorsports-network.com/H...00/929/929.htm

http://tinyurl.com/cwopd

RSV

http://tinyurl.com/d7yg5

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Apr...tory/Page1.htm

Technical information in German:

http://www.motorbikes.be/de/search.aspx?search=cbr

http://www.motorbikes.be/de/search.aspx?search=rsv

Edit: Long URLs changed to tiny

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
TT
Regular User

Thanks dude, I am about to go through all these links

I am so useless at bike hot news that I thought the CBR900 stopped at 929 .. wasn't even aware about a 945 series. The one I was talking about is definitely a 929, still plenty fast enough.. the Aprilia indeed, as any other street version of a racing bike risks to be just too much :bah:

BTW, it's about renting a bike next week or next week's weekend

Another option is the mighty Triumph Rocket III but seems just ridiculous
Old 08-19-2005, 12:05 PM   #4
Minacious
Regular User

If this is just for a rental, I wouldn't consider either one of these bikes. I'd look at something more along the touring side of things. TT, what do you have planned with the bike that you rent?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
TT
Regular User

Well I wanted to rent a Buell which is slighly more relaxed but around here I can't find any offered and after my dad testdrove one last weekend, I kinda feel the Buell is not worth the money

I wouldn't mind something less "racy" like an Hornet, Monster or whatever, with smaller engines, why not, but this new rental company just opened and they are offering quite huge discounts this month.. the list of available bikes is pretty short

- Harley Davidson Fat Boy :arrow: already had a Dyna Glide for a while.. the Fat Boy is "fatter" but similar and when you rent it is nice to rent something "different"
- Triumph Rocket III, the 2'300 cc whale.. of course the declared 0-100 km/h time of 2.9 seconds is happealing and it would be nice to play the fool at the stop lights, but well, I also can already picture me smashed into the first house outside the first coner
- RSVR
- CBR

that's it, so the choice is limited.. gran tourer or sporty ones.

I know what you think.. the Aprilia or Honda are meant for skilled riders with years of experience and I don't hide the fact I don't ride a bike on a regular basis.

But I also think I grew wise enough not to do anything stupid even with a powerfull bike.
I don't plan to gun it down country roads at 200 mph, don't worry.

Of course that said, a more relaxed bike would make for some more relaxed cruising, especially if Aleks comes along.. but the Triumph or Harley are too relaxed I guess :roll:

I just want to have something different to take me around for a couple of days and I have to jump on this discounted occasion

The reviews I read about the 929 are saying it is kinda forgiving, and "easy" even for the not-hardcore fanatics.

no I won't take it to the ring
Old 08-19-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
Minacious
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT

I know what you think.. the Aprilia or Honda are meant for skilled riders with years of experience and I don't hide the fact I don't ride a bike on a regular basis.

But I also think I grew wise enough not to do anything stupid even with a powerfull bike.
I don't plan to gun it down country roads at 200 mph, don't worry.
I was actually looking at your comfort. Even more so if you have a passenger. I know if I was renting a bike to cruise around the town, one requirement is that it be pretty damn comfy.

Of course that said, a more relaxed bike would make for some more relaxed cruising, especially if Aleks comes along.. but the Triumph or Harley are too relaxed I guess :roll:

I just want to have something different to take me around for a couple of days and I have to jump on this discounted occasion

The reviews I read about the 929 are saying it is kinda forgiving, and "easy" even for the not-hardcore fanatics.
Between the Honda and Aprilia I would go with the Honda. The Aprilia has a far more agressive riding position and will get to you when just cruising around.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:33 PM   #7
TransAm
Regular User

I agree, I'd pick the Honda out of those choices.

Having said that, I rode a 20hp 250cc cruiser on my bike training here in the USA and had great fun. I hadn't ridden anything since 2001 and the novelty factor kept me happy for the weekend - I think you will enjoy whatever you rent, but the Honda is probably the best choice, IMO.

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:33 PM   #8
TT
Regular User

Yeh the Honda is really taking the lead I guess... I am just wondering about the Aprilia's soundtrack.. because if it is a sexy one...
Old 08-19-2005, 03:01 PM   #9
corpse_grinder0
Regular User

I would go with the honda... for 1, I love hondas... second, the aprilia is a sexy exotic but what comes with that, is lots of maintenance... third.. its a honda.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:02 PM   #10
TT
Regular User

Ok ok, the RSVR is getting killed
Old 08-19-2005, 03:04 PM   #11
Minacious
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Yeh the Honda is really taking the lead I guess... I am just wondering about the Aprilia's soundtrack.. because if it is a sexy one...
Well, the soundtrack from the Aprilia will sound worlds better than the Honda, if you like the sound of a V-Twin.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:05 PM   #12
TT
Regular User

I must admit I never heard that bike in the higher revs.. only in town at regular speeds :bah:

Oh well, the Honda it is if it will be free.. will see this monday
Old 08-19-2005, 03:37 PM   #13
corpse_grinder0
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
I must admit I never heard that bike in the higher revs.. only in town at regular speeds :bah:

Oh well, the Honda it is if it will be free.. will see this monday
please be safe
Old 08-19-2005, 04:03 PM   #14
TT
Regular User

Don't worry, I'd rather end up frustrated for not coming close to the potential of the bike than leaning in every corner with just some Wranglers on my but
Old 08-19-2005, 04:18 PM   #15
corpse_grinder0
Regular User

im not as worried about you exceeding your own limits, as I am worried about someone else just running you over. keep rolls of pennies in your pocket, so if someone gets close, let them know you there