Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > Car Gallery

Old 09-22-2003, 06:43 AM   #1
heath
Regular User

Default Got any Golf gti fans here?

how does little one strike you guys? we don't get the mk2 gti 2dr here in aus (apart from me that is pays to have contacts) I'm thinking of making mine look a little like this one....with out the bonnet grills tho..

Ronin005 wrote:
.....like in any other car community there is Stock, Modified and, HOLLY BATMAN. this falls under HOLLY BATMAN!!
heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 06:59 AM   #2
draak666
Regular User

The second generation GTI is my favourite. The police over here used to drive a lot of them a few years ago.

About the pic ... didn't the GTI have four headlights? I wouldn't exagerate on lowering the car like this one. And I also wouldn't opt for white wheels.

Like I said, the mk 2 GTI is one of my most desired cars ever, and that's without any modifications.

BTW, I'm not really a GTI fan, I just like this one.
draak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:58 AM   #3
gis
Regular User

I LOVE THE GOLF GTI,always have and again the mk2 is my favourite.

b4 we got the saxo my dad had a mk2 16v gti for a while,unfortunately he got it to just check it out but unfortunately we had to get rid as insurance companys didnt like the idea of a first time driver on a golf GTI,the mk2 16v only had 139hp,but for its year and only bein a hatchback it was a quick car,and for the roads in the UK,it was perfect.the cars engine and parts were extremely strong,we bought the car with 85k miles on it,we ran the car to 98k miles b4 changing anythin,the main thing we changed was the exhaust as it was beginning to blow,we took it to a place called dubsport to have it changed,as they took it off,they discovered it was the same exhaust from the day it left the showroom.

with simple mods like exhaust,filter,cams,cylinder head whcih was a popular mod for them,and other small things,the car could push out to 190-200hp,then u could go for forced induction the bring it alive.a rare mk2 golf was the golf rallye,4wd with a supercharged engine.i never been in one,my dad has but never driven,u can upgrade the supercharger,to a stage 4,and the car is very quick.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:21 AM   #4
Kangaroo Boy
Regular User

The reason we didn't get the golf mk 2 was that the Mk1 was such a bomb.VW thought,"Well people got the idea that the first one is a Bomb,no one is going to buy the next model."
Old 09-22-2003, 11:24 AM   #5
gis
Regular User

Originally Posted by Kangaroo Boy
The reason we didn't get the golf mk 2 was that the Mk1 was such a bomb.VW thought,"Well people got the idea that the first one is a Bomb,no one is going to buy the next model."
there is no way VW said "oh its a bomb (meaning crap) they wont buy the second one" no way would they say that

the mk1 golf is a classic,and i aint seen one country so far,untill u said that bout australia that hasnt appreciated and loved the mk1 golf gti.

Old 09-22-2003, 11:27 AM   #6
draak666
Regular User

Originally Posted by gis
its a bomb (meaning crap)
Thanks for clarifying this. I was confused about that.
draak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 11:41 AM   #7
Kangaroo Boy
Regular User

Originally Posted by Kangaroo Boy
What I meant was the 4 door.Not the Gti..All I know is that the Mk1 didn't sell well in australia,and the Mk2 didn't sell as well.With the Gti,I never driven one.I'm not VW fan either..
Old 09-22-2003, 03:08 PM   #8
tkach
Regular User

my buddy just bought a mk2 gti its nice 16valve. its a fun little car not the fastest thanks to his new suspesion installed by yours truly it will turn. but i hate the stupid ass way the intake is setup. fun little car.
tkach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:17 PM   #9
ferrari550
Regular User

i am a huge golf fan!!!!!!!!!!!!! i could not afford a gti so i just have the normal golf, i still love it.
that gti looks awesome!!!
Does anyone like the styling of the new generation golf?? as of right now i am a bit iffy, but we will wait and see i guess
ferrari550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:22 PM   #10
gis
Regular User

if your on bout the mk5 thats being released soon,im a bit iffy on it aswell,but if your on bout the mk4 then,its good, looks wise,but the best part of it is the engine IMO,cheaper to mod than the older mk2 engine but i think the mk2 is the better looking car

Old 09-22-2003, 04:29 PM   #11
heath
Regular User

yeh the golf wasn't popular in the early days here because australians are rednecks and like big fat cars because they are all big fat blokes....a "little" 2ltr to them is just a lawn mower engine compared to their 7ltr v8's and crap....as australian as I am...I fucken hate their cars....I hate commadores (or bommadores as I call them)....

yeh so to answer the question of why australia didn't get the golf gti....well.....they just didn't get it.....what was the point of this car to them? They were used to v8's made from solid granit and fence palings....

Ronin005 wrote:
.....like in any other car community there is Stock, Modified and, HOLLY BATMAN. this falls under HOLLY BATMAN!!
Old 09-22-2003, 04:41 PM   #12
666fast
Regular User

They are pretty cool, I don't think I'd ever buy one though. They only VW that I would consider buying is a Corrado.
I know way to much about VW's thanks to my friends, he's an absolute nut about Volkswagons. He even belongs to a local VW club.
Here is a rather crappy pic pf his car. I don't think it's the best looking car, but he likes it. It's a blast to drive though.

Old 09-22-2003, 06:06 PM   #13
stradale
Regular User

The only Golf GTI I ever drove was the mk4. I have never been so disappointed in my life. It was crap, it really was. Only through the first three gears it was able to make some progress, but from then on... I floored it in 4th, but around 160 km/h there seemed to be nothing much going on. It just wouldn't rev. You had to change up around 4000 rpm to keep it going. If I want to do that, I'll drive a friggin' DIESEL!!! The ride and handling weren't sporty at all. It was a dull and shitty car.

From what I heard the mk1 and mk2 are great. It's a shame though so many of them have been in the wrong hands and have been abused and riced up. Relying on what other people have told me, you can't go wrong with a mk1 or mk2. But don't get me started on that mk4!
stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:06 AM   #14
Kangaroo Boy
Regular User

Originally Posted by heath
yeh the golf wasn't popular in the early days here because australians are rednecks and like big fat cars because they are all big fat blokes....a "little" 2ltr to them is just a lawn mower engine compared to their 7ltr v8's and crap....as australian as I am...I fucken hate their cars....I hate commadores (or bommadores as I call them)....

yeh so to answer the question of why australia didn't get the golf gti....well.....they just didn't get it.....what was the point of this car to them? They were used to v8's made from solid granit and fence palings....
Well,you seem very intelligent..It seems to me,that you hate V8s,and thats cool.But what you just said was crap.You can have your lawn mower engine golf.But I am sure,that there is alot of people disagree with you.And I am one.
But some people don't understand history or just don't know it.Why do we have V8s?Why are they so popular?

Well back in the 60s Australia Automotive industry didn't care about Fuel Emissions and the car where Designed for long distance travel and have power to carry full family around,..Fuel was dirty cheap.Not only that,production car racing was very popular.Holden,Ford and Chrysler Valiant.People like seeing road going cars around tracks.Holden,Ford and Chrysler(the big three) built V8 sports sedans and Coupes.Ever heard race on sunday,sell on monday.Well the big three did this to sell there cars through out the 60s,70s.Legends cameout from that era,such as Ford Falcon GTHO phase 3,Chyrsler Valiant charger, etc.
People Grown up with this type of racing,not Fast and Furious ricer crap.V8s are our heritage,like it or not.They are here to stay.The Golf is different car altogether..I don't think back in the mid 70s,a family of 5 people want a Golf Gti to drive around...People back then had different Ideas compare to now.
Anyway,get your golf Gti,I'm sure my MGB GT with Ca18det will stay up with it.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:14 AM   #15
heath
Regular User

nah mate I don't hate v8's....I love em....I just don't like australian cars....heritage or not.....I completely agree with you on the long distance and cheap fuel comments but I just can't get into aussie cars. I'd love to see some piccies of your tasty sounding mg tho

Ronin005 wrote: