Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Ferrari

Ferrari Everything related to the Prancing Horse goes in here!

Old 06-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
eraser
Regular User

Default Markup over MSRP for 599

Currently a "preowned" 599 is for sale with a list of $524K. Someone please fill me in on whether or not this car is really going for that amount. I knew it was in high demand but that just seems insane.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem
eraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
wasaabi92
Regular User

Half a mil!?

Now I know the 599 will never be "common", but I've seen enough 550's and 575M's (the predecessors) around, and when you look at it, they were just as desierable when they came out.

Wouldn't you look back and hold you head, know the depreciation of those things?

Esp at over a half million bucks. :roll:

Sidenote: It's not the right color, either.
wasaabi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
sameerrao
Regular User

500K is the current market price which is approximately a hefty $200K mark up. But there are people who are prepared to pay any amount to get the latest and greatest.

Used 430 spiders are trading at $100-125K mark-ups. Coupes for about $25-50k mark-up.

Reasonableness is a relative concept. The guys buying a 599 at market price should be multi-millionaires at least. So paying 200K more would be a mild irritant to them if at all.

5-7 years from now, you can buy a used 599 for $150K. The guys buying at market will take a nice bath then.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
500K is the current market price which is approximately a hefty $200K mark up. But there are people who are prepared to pay any amount to get the latest and greatest.

Used 430 spiders are trading at $100-125K mark-ups. Coupes for about $25-50k mark-up.

Reasonableness is a relative concept. The guys buying a 599 at market price should be multi-millionaires at least. So paying 200K more would be a mild irritant to them if at all.

5-7 years from now, you can buy a used 599 for $150K. The guys buying at market will take a nice bath then.
Yes, I think you're right. BUT... this crazy markup exists only in America! The EU has more reasonable prices
Old 06-02-2007, 11:02 PM   #5
philip
Regular User

Is the 599 the updated version of GTO with an engine out of an Enzo? If it is seems to me it may not have the depreciation seen in other recent Ferrari front engined cars.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Originally Posted by bmuller
^^Just b/c you can get it now doesn't make it reasonable... :roll:
I as just kidding...

500K for a 599 is absurd, especially when these V12 Ferraris have the worst depreciation rate of all Ferraris... :roll: that's supercar-money - and I would personally take a Carrera GT or a used Ferrari Enzo for that money
Or perhaps an F40 + TdF 355 spider in your case for the same money

An Enzo is a million bucks give or take 100K. A CGT is a relative bargain at $350K. I would take that in a heartbeat over an corpulent 599.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 06-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #7
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by philip
Is the 599 the updated version of GTO with an engine out of an Enzo? If it is seems to me it may not have the depreciation seen in other recent Ferrari front engined cars.
Think of it as a lighter 550 Maranello with a slightly milder Enzo engine. It is fucking fast no doubt but it isn't a limited edition Ferrari supercar like the GTO/F40/F50/Enzo and I doubt it will age to be a collectible classic like a 275 GTB or Lusso or SWB among many other golden oldies.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #8
philip
Regular User

It reminded me a lot of the GTO when I saw pictures. Very pretty for a front engine car. Most cars eventually depreciate in price, even the GTO sold for less than its purchase price for awhile. So pretty silly to pay more than list, unless your rich.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
eraser
Regular User

500K for a 599 is absurd, especially when these V12 Ferraris have the worst depreciation rate of all Ferraris... that's supercar-money - and I would personally take a Carrera GT or a used Ferrari Enzo for that money
As much as I have grown to love the 599, you echo my thoughts exactly. Actually, I think I'd go out and buy 3-4 of my favorites for that price.
eraser is offline   Reply With Quote