Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 10-15-2004, 01:37 PM   #16
jon_s
Regular User

This is true lol,

Has anyone got a picture of a sign telling you that you cannot park in a certain direction? It would not surprise me if this is brought in in the UK. Although, if it does come in, and I want to park on the other side of the road, I think the handbrake may get some use lol
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:14 PM   #17
jamberl
Regular User

Yeah, ive had this before. Parked in bays that were 45 degrees to the curb, and I had my rear to the kerb instead of my front. I hadnt noticed that the sign said 'front to kerb'. BUT:

1) My vehicle was taking up exactly the same space that it would have if it had been facing the other way

2) It was in a quiet backstreet

3) WTF???? WHO CARES which way the car is facing?? As long as it is between the lines. I dont think ive ever seen a sign saying '45 degree parking, front to kerb' before. When you see angled parking, people reverse in all the time, I didnt even bother to check the sign.

4) At the time I had a disabled sticker on my dash. And the f**ker gave me a ticket anyway. Good work.

What shits me most about some parking tickets is that it is so blatantly there to make money off you, rather than targeting someone who is actually causing a nuisance, i.e. parking their car in a driveway or clearway. Talk about abuse of power......... 'yeah, lets give a $$$ fine to someone who technically isnt causing any problem, just because we can!"
:x :x :x

Anyway, thats the end of my little rant
Old 10-15-2004, 09:42 PM   #18
ZfrkS62
Regular User

He wasn't a cop, they call them parking rangers
we refer to them as meter maids on this side of the pond. they drive around in three wheeled ice cream trucks with a little peice of chalk on a stick and mark your tire. if the mark doesn't move by the time they come back, you get a ticket..of course..that could be an excuse to burn off a little rubber from your tires
"but officer..the mark isn't in the same position it was an hour ago" :roll:

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:55 PM   #19
stracing
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
He wasn't a cop, they call them parking rangers
we refer to them as meter maids on this side of the pond.
we had meter maids on the gold coast but of a different kind. they wore bikinis and when they saw your meter about to expire they put in $1. all of this is out of generosity. but i think the council had them shut down. i swear our country isnt run by enough horny men!
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 10:38 PM   #20
ZfrkS62
Regular User

we had meter maids on the gold coast but of a different kind. they wore bikinis and when they saw your meter about to expire they put in $1
there was a guy who did this in a clown suit carrying a bucket of quarters in Seattle awhile back. they tried to make him stop but then a lady in a fairy costume popped up...they tried making her stop but the meter clown came back. they gave up after awhile.

i swear our country isnt run by enough horny men!
want some of our leaders?

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:21 AM   #21
dingo
Regular User

I just downloaded the 413 page document on Australian road rules....and it makes great reading, if anyone wants it PM me.
I wanted to see if it said anything about my situation, and here is what it said in the parallel parking section:

"The driver must position the vehicle to face in the direction of
travel of vehicles in the marked lane or line of traffic on, or
next to, the part of the road where the driver parks."

So it seems he was right in booking me, but still harsh I feel....a warning would have been enough to stop me doing it again.
When I confronted him he actually told me to refer to my road rules handbook, but I didn't have one....now I do.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:31 AM   #22
jason_goyal

FORUMS ---> GENERAL CHAT ---> FRANCESCA WILLIS
jason_goyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:52 AM   #23
dingo
Regular User

piss off will you.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:26 AM   #24
aks
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo22
I just downloaded the 413 page document on Australian road rules....and it makes great reading, if anyone wants it PM me.
I wanted to see if it said anything about my situation, and here is what it said in the parallel parking section:

"The driver must position the vehicle to face in the direction of
travel of vehicles in the marked lane or line of traffic on, or
next to, the part of the road where the driver parks."

So it seems he was right in booking me, but still harsh I feel....a warning would have been enough to stop me doing it again.
When I confronted him he actually told me to refer to my road rules handbook, but I didn't have one....now I do.

awesome, where did u get it? rta site?
aks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 08:08 AM   #25
stracing
Regular User

rta is only for nsw though. wa has another authority
Old 10-16-2004, 10:05 AM   #26
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by aks
awesome, where did u get it? rta site?
The one for NSW is from the rta site, yes.
Here is the link to the pdf document:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...ds/pts1-21.pdf

Happy reading.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:25 AM   #27
DeMoN
Regular User

how much was the ticket for? I got cought by a cop goin the rong way, the u turn was too far so I decided to go the other way hahah. He just stopped me and told me to go arround... I was so happy.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:52 AM   #28
jon_s
Regular User

That "front to curb" for the 45 degree parking is a bit odd. I would be fucked if I drive down there as I always reverse in, so that I can make a safe (non reverse) exit. I am more likely to reverse into the path of a car, or into an unseen person reversing out than reversing in!

I have come across some silly rules/laws in my time, bit this is coming close to the top! I cannot believe I have not heard of it before! Maybe I am just blind and don't read signs when driving abroad lol....ahhh the joy of tourist ignorance!
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:04 PM   #29
stracing
Regular User

jon_s it depends on the direction of angle. sometime it gets a bit tight for you to reverse. so that front to kerb does makes sense. so does the rear to kerb rule. sometimes i wonder, wouldn't it be easier to just repaint the lines in the other direction. some decisions these ppl make bewilders me sometimes.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:59 AM   #30
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by DeMoN
how much was the ticket for? I got cought by a cop goin the rong way, the u turn was too far so I decided to go the other way hahah. He just stopped me and told me to go arround... I was so happy.
It was $AU 50, which is about $35 US. Its the least they can fine you I believe, but the officer said I was lucky it wasn't a cop who picked me up since they would fine we either $80 or $100. I don't believe that one bit, the same offence can have three different fine amounts....he was just trying to make himself sound like a generous guy.