Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-22-2003, 12:06 PM   #1
MercedeSChink
Regular User

Default Taking out the Resonator?

Hi, I drive a ML55 and was wondering if it would be a good idea to take my resonator out or not? Will it harm my car? Will it end up having a better sound?

Comments please...
Old 12-22-2003, 12:18 PM   #2
fedezyl
Regular User

well, the resonator is used to have higher torque at low rev's by the means of a longer intake manifold and then at high rev's it switches to a short intake thus keeping torque high at high rev's too, my advise is leave it there since it is a very well engineered part...unless you plan on hooking up a turbo or some kind of supercharger

fedezyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 03:04 PM   #3
gldnboy
Regular User

will it harm it? probably not. will it sound better? don't know, will definitely be louder though. depending on where you live it might be a no-no, where I live it got so bad with the ricerz anyone with a tampered exhaust is liable to get a ticket. luxury car or not
Old 01-02-2004, 07:24 PM   #4
sickx
Regular User

Resonators are also used to dampen out (cancel) certain harmonic vibrations/frequencies. Taking out an intake resonator usually results in a "honking" sound at certain RPMS. Taking out an exhaust resonator usually results in a booming sound in the cabin at certain rpms.
Neither will HARM your car, but keep in mind that the engineers put it there for a purpose (usually NVH-related).
sickx is offline   Reply With Quote