Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-16-2004, 06:51 PM   #1
sickx
Regular User

Default For those with modified motors only!

OK, it comes as a surprise to me that very few of us on this board actually modify our cars (for performance). I'd like to get a feeler for who is out there actually wrenching and tuning...no cronic BS'ers--we'll call you out!

I'll start off:
Miata 1.6L: 270RWHP@15psi boost. 1/4 mile in 12.8
sickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:28 PM   #2
graywolf624
Regular User

My iroc is for sale.. but I did all the mods.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6161
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:30 PM   #3
sickx
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624

Gray, I knew I could count on you to participate in this thread!
Old 02-16-2004, 07:30 PM   #4
coombsie66
Regular User

I would love more performance, ive got a K&N and cat back on my car at the moment. I know these dont increase performance, but my next mod is an ST 170 (a 2 litre focus 1 up from my car!) exhaust manifold, tubular, 4-2-1. Then a chip, and i fancy playing around wiv my inlet cam timing, as at the moment my power curve flattens off at 4k ish and peaks at 5.5k even tho the engine revs till 6900!! I change up at 6k, so there's still room for improvement on the standard cams!!
I cud do a turbo conversion on mine, a lot have been done, but they start at about £5k, which i dont have!!
A 12 second miata, thats the same as the MX5 over here aint it!? How come u didnt use the 1.8 lump?
270 RWHP has gotta b a handfull in a car that light!!!
Old 02-16-2004, 07:31 PM   #5
graywolf624
Regular User

Hey.. just cause I'm currently unemployed so all I do all day is think of how to design better suspensions(well other then apply for jobs).
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:31 PM   #6
sickx
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624

Gray, I knew I could count on you to participate in this thread!
Old 02-16-2004, 07:47 PM   #7
sickx
Regular User

Originally Posted by coombsie66
I would love more performance, ive got a K&N and cat back on my car at the moment. I know these dont increase performance, but my next mod is an ST 170 (a 2 litre focus 1 up from my car!) exhaust manifold, tubular, 4-2-1. Then a chip, and i fancy playing around wiv my inlet cam timing, as at the moment my power curve flattens off at 4k ish and peaks at 5.5k even tho the engine revs till 6900!! I change up at 6k, so there's still room for improvement on the standard cams!!
I cud do a turbo conversion on mine, a lot have been done, but they start at about £5k, which i dont have!!
A 12 second miata, thats the same as the MX5 over here aint it!? How come u didnt use the 1.8 lump?
270 RWHP has gotta b a handfull in a car that light!!!
You chaps get the ST220 turbo over there, don't you? I had seen a few of the development mules on the track, and they were screamers!

I used the stock 1.6L mill that came in my car from the factory (bone stock internals--even the head has never been off the car!). The 1.8L has more torque, and overall potential, but when I started (first w/ a S/C), I never knew how deep into the power quest I would get.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:58 PM   #8
coombsie66
Regular User

lol, its always the same! once the bug bites thats it!!!
We only get the mondeo st220 its a V6 duratec, not turbo, but heard of a few people who turbo'd that engine, the NOBLE M12 runs a twin turbo duratec V6 and that thing flies!!!!!
How the hell r u runnin 15 psi on standard compression!??
Old 02-16-2004, 08:48 PM   #9
T-Bird
Regular User

I've got a fully Ford Racing built internals 4.6L V-8 new rods, pistons, crank, heads(full assembly) engine had 160,000 it needed it badly,Cobra style intake manifold, Ford Racing Oil Pump, Moroso oil pan, K&N 9" cone intake, full exhaust: kooks headers, high flow cats and Borla cat-back, All done by my dad before I got the car from him.

PS: should have pics this weekend or next just trying to get some money for new Digital Camera (I broke my old one :cry: )
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:47 PM   #10
hotgemini
Regular User

It would be quicker to list the standard parts on my car, so I'm definitely on this list. Should be back on the road around easter after an 18 month sabbatical.
hotgemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 01:31 AM   #11
novass
Regular User

Does having a whole new engine built count? I swapped the old 283 out of my Nova and had a 355 built. Ive never had it on a dyno, but all the old school hot rodders I know estimate it to be around 400-420hp at the crank. Whatever the hp is it was good for 12.19 in the quarter, of course, it doesnt really turn or stop for shit, but hopefully im gonna get another project car to fill my turning desire.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:17 AM   #12
Epic2112
Regular User

I haven't done much recently, the garage in my apartment building isn't heated so it's just to damn cold to spend hours lying on the concrete floor. You can see what I've done in my sig. I also have new toys for the Porsche in a corner of my apartment waiting for the weather to warm up. I've got a 35mm tial wastegate, bigger turbo (K27/6), manual boost controller, performance chips (of course), and I don't know how much other stuff. I'm also replaceing the downpipe with a new one, and I have to replace some lights on the BMW.

There, that's about it.
1989 Porsche 951 Leinengrau Metallic - 86 Engine, K27/6, Lindsey Stage 2 MAF, Seimens 55lb injectors, TiAL 38mm, LBE, Nickerson Engineering Custom Chip, 3 bar FPR, SPEC Stage II Clutch, Fabspeed SS 3" Exhaust, 33/5 Bias Valve, Uego WBO2, VDO EGT, KLA Strut Brace, Loose nut behind the wheel.

1990 BMW M3 Sterlingsilber Metallic - Dinan Chips, GSPerformance Magnecor Wires, Cross-Drilled Rotors, Winged Frogs, Other stuff.

1983 Honda Accord - Now we're talkin' style!
Epic2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:45 AM   #13
novass
Regular User

Youve got a nice looking Porsche Epic. I dont know too much about that particualr model, it looks similar to a 944. What differences/similarities between yours and a 944? Reason I ask is one of my roomates has a 83 944 sitting in the driveway that he wants to fix up but hes not really sure what he wants to do with it. He was thinking about putting a later model turbo motor in since his is just a slant NA 4.

Any thoughts on what can be done to his car would be appreciated

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:54 AM   #14
callen
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
I've got a fully Ford Racing built internals 4.6L V-8 new rods, pistons, crank, heads(full assembly) engine had 160,000 it needed it badly,Cobra style intake manifold, Ford Racing Oil Pump, Moroso oil pan, K&N 9" cone intake, full exhaust: kooks headers, high flow cats and Borla cat-back, All done by my dad before I got the car from him.

PS: should have pics this weekend or next just trying to get some money for new Digital Camera (I broke my old one :cry: )
Zevolv.... is that you!?!
Old 02-17-2004, 10:07 AM   #15
coloradosilver
Regular User

I've been quite extensive in my modding. I love speed. You can read below a VERY short list of some of the more major things that I've done. I also have a new set of ported and polished heads and cam that will be going in shortly, along with a smaller blower pulley and a single front mount intercooler system. Should bring me up to about the 625 rwhp / 590 rwtq mark. Also will have to go with an 8 rib pulley system as I'm sure I'll be encountering slippage issues with the current 6 rib set I'm running now.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote