Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Video and Picture Links

Video and Picture Links WORKING HTTP or FTP links only, no torrents or other P2P links.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:46 AM   #1
thepest
Regular User

At last!!! A prove!

I always knew BMW's X-drive is better than the over rated Quattro. Yeah, they have the history and everything, but damn, X-drive kicks ass!

Always outnumbered, never outguned!!!
thepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:12 AM   #2
JoeHahn
Regular User

You cant actually believe that can you? Firstly with the quattro 4WD it has a 50/50 torque split but evidently in that video the front wheels didnt even pull, as if the brakes were kept on. Secondly the stability system would definately overcome that situation - sensing the slip in the rear wheels and sending the power to the front.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:26 AM   #3
Dubai
Regular User

That is fake!... I drove the new GTi last weekend in the track! and even with the EPS off. No way I can go side ways! .. So A8 should have better EPS (Traction). no way the rear wheels spin for that long. They must have used rear wheels drive A8 + disengaged EPS system
Dubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:41 AM   #4
komotar
Regular User

well, when it comes to AWD, I think Subaru has them both beat

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:27 AM   #5
Max Power

Originally Posted by JoeHahn
You cant actually believe that can you? Firstly with the quattro 4WD it has a 50/50 torque split but evidently in that video the front wheels didnt even pull, as if the brakes were kept on. Secondly the stability system would definately overcome that situation - sensing the slip in the rear wheels and sending the power to the front.
the brake lights were off....
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:30 AM   #6
cooperluke
Regular User

Well... although I'm a BMW fan, I don't want to believe that the Quattro System is that bad...

Maybe it's some kind of function that at low speeds sends the power only to rear wheels..??

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:33 AM   #7
JoeHahn
Regular User

Originally Posted by Max Power
Originally Posted by JoeHahn
the brake lights were off....
I didnt say they kept the brakes on...
Old 04-18-2006, 06:54 AM   #8
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Looks fake to me. Maybe they disengaged the front driveshaft, like they did in Ronin to drift the S8.....
Old 04-18-2006, 08:03 AM   #9
TNT
Regular User

^^^ good point, this prob. isn't a fake. if you get them going at the same speed the car thinks its going somewhere and that is has traction. but i beat if you floored it and got some TQ in there that the wheels would spin at diff. speeds. but this is just a set up real test that they found the loop hole.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:09 AM   #10
quattrodude
Regular User

BMW fucked with the quattro stytem for their little demo day
Old 04-18-2006, 11:18 AM   #11
5vz-fe
Regular User

Quattro using open center diff??
Old 04-19-2006, 05:24 PM   #12
Skaala
Regular User

I drive this car every day, and I have never, never gotten this to happen to the car. Living in Norway I have tried my share of bad conditions, I even pulled a VW van with a trailer up a hill on ice, on stud free wintertires. I call bug in the ESP, or some insane "theoretical" loop-hole that some BMW nut found. In real life, X-drive does'nt stand a chanse. I drove with a friend of mine who has an X5 (I don't know anything about BMW...is the X5 4x4 called x-drive?) and he struggeled more over the Haukeli mountains than I did. I crossed the pass 35 minutes faster than him. (1hr 30min total for me)
Old 04-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #13
coombsie66
Regular User

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
Originally Posted by Phobo
Originally Posted by mrmojo77
Originally Posted by Phobo
What I´ve heard yesterday is that you can change the 40/60 power electricly - but that is only used for maintaining so they might have done that.
I didn't quite understand what you meant?

The properties of Torsen differential depend on the gear angles and transmission ratio. The locking value Audi might use is somewhere about 1:3,5. This means that the power transferred by the wheels with better grip is 3,5 times the power transferred by the wheels with less grip. In extreme case when the other axel is spinning freely and therefore can't transfer any power to the road, the other axel with better grip is transferring 3,5 times the 0 and it eguals 0.

We have Audi owners here. Why not test the theory?
I mean normally the audi has a power ratio of 60% and the rear wheel and 40% at the front. What Ive heard now from some audi owners is that you can change that to 100% to the back this might has been done with that quattro.
It is possible maybe with A3 and TT, because they have Haldex center differential that is electronically controlled. Torsen is fully mechanical and it can't be controller electronically
Ah thank god, someone who knows what they are talking about!

Quite correct, its like the Quaife ATB torque biasing differentials, everythings fine untill you get absolutely no resistance on one output of the differential (like having the rear wheels on some rollers like this) then the diff will spin freely, and the only way you'll transmit torque is with a viscous plate or otherwise locking diff (like the electronic controller, which i presume the BMW has as it spins freely at first, then the electronics detect and lock the centre diff)
The only way you could recreate it on the road would be having the rear wheels in the air!!!
The problem hence is not an issue for the centre differential, because you never get this situation, whereas if it was a differntial on the front or rear axel it will act just like an open diff if you get the inside wheel totally unweighted. (had this trouble with a quaife ATB in our formula student car).

So to sum it up, a completely worthless test performed by dimwitts who know nothing.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #14
RF1
Regular User

For me there is no point in pretending that Audi or BMW is Better!!
Subaru Impreza should be tested...
It i a brilliant car

RF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #15
ldin
Regular User

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...i+snow&pl=true
watch that...believe that...enjoy that...fucking quattro that.
ldin is offline   Reply With Quote