Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 03-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #16
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Are they really making a Super V? or is that just a body kit...

an LS7 would be a beautiful thing in that engine bay...

edit:

heh, guess I was too eager to read the article and posted too soon..

:shock: That thing is gonna be a serious beast.. Whats the curb weight on a CTS-V vs a E60 M5 anyway?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #17
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
meh. pointless.

when will Chevy...oh i mean Cadillac...realise that shoving big ass engines into box shaped baby carriers isn't gonna save their crumbling corporation........

they should instead focus on building cars for everyone....cars that will save the company.
Without such high performance sports cars, GM will be nothing but a crappy car manufacturer. Having a fast Cadi / Chevy, at least ppl will bring it up in car forums and serve it promotional purpose. To show my point, we do have an American Muscle section
Old 03-28-2006, 02:37 PM   #18
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
Are they really making a Super V? or is that just a body kit...

an LS7 would be a beautiful thing in that engine bay...

edit:

heh, guess I was too eager to read the article and posted too soon..

:shock: That thing is gonna be a serious beast.. Whats the curb weight on a CTS-V vs a E60 M5 anyway?
There are number of 427ci LS6/C5R block CTS-V's on the street, and a couple of Twin Turbo cars as well.. I have run into a N/A 427 that was being worked on in Houston... pretty damn fast... but then again 540rwhp will do that to you, even if you are a 3800lb 4-door sedan

(the M5 is about 4100lbs.. )
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #19
McLaren4eVa
Regular User

Meh pretty pointless car i think GM has it's sports car lineup sorted with the Vettes no point in making superfast sedans because i can't think of anyone who would choose this over an M5 M6 CLS well except for you RC45. Maybe caddilac should focus on the interior instead of using plastic.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #20
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by McLaren4eVa
Meh pretty pointless car i think GM has it's sports car lineup sorted with the Vettes no point in making superfast sedans because i can't think of anyone who would choose this over an M5 M6 CLS well except for you RC45. Maybe caddilac should focus on the interior instead of using plastic.
Well - there must be a lot of folks that think liek I do.. M5 performance at M3 prices.. - as it is Caddy sells every CTS-V they make.

I am sure you are aware that the CTS-V is actually a superbly handling super-sedan, and is raced very succesfully - it is NOT an AMG style cruise mobile by any stretch of the imaginaiotn.

it is a hard-core, hard-edged sports car with 4 doors, that in the right hands will outlap an M3 and the previous generation (400hp) M5..

Watching the CTS-V race car outrun and outgun the GT3 RS's, Viper ACR's and C6 race cars on Speedvision GT is an education in itself..
Old 03-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #21
nthfinity
Regular User

^^^^
as seen in my photographs i've so far posted; CTS V's sell very well indeed... so any comment saying "when will GM learn..." is pure CRAP... its more likely you have something to learn by it

not to mention... there are already numerous STS-V's, and XLR-V's around town w/out Manufacturer plates on them 8)
Old 03-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #22
nthfinity
Regular User

^^^^^^
again, this points to marketing... and cobalts are selling well themselves...

and isnt the GTi the "special" version of the Golf so for an additional $5000+ you have the VAG GTi with about 200 hp, or the Cobalt SS with about 200 hp... both handle well... and unlike past GM economy cars... the Cobalt SS is put together well.

which would i choose? well... the GTi... but the SS has another year on the market ahead of the Golf GTi.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:07 PM   #23
nthfinity
Regular User

yes, it's marketing, and model development, and appeal to the general buyer....a car like the Super V CTS-V or whatever it's called, may have transient appeal to a car magazine reader....but to a REAL buyer in the showroom, it's not a car which can help a company.
the V isnt a ultra-low volume car... sure, its not as high volume as the "standard" models... but its profit margins are larger. and a REAL buyer in the showroom... the fact that the V is faster then the M, or the S badges or RS badging... that DOES matter. you get a faster, and better performing car then what Audi, BMW, and MB can; at a fraction of the cost.

what these guys lose out on...? interior trim; and high maintanence costs... small price to pay for the guys who love going fast.

so... being that the V's are selling... doesn't that mean that the REAL buyers in the showroom are taking notice?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #24
RC45
Regular User

^^ I am an old VW fan, coming from a loyal VW family, and the new GTi does not appeal to me - it's a hype car, a coffee shop car, a fad car if ever there was one...

I am not in the business of "car business" so I could care less whether VW, GM or Ferrari survive.. I am in the "business" of enjoying and liking what I buy
Old 03-28-2006, 06:19 PM   #25
RC45
Regular User

$50K vs $90K - thats quite a bit cheaper..
Old 03-28-2006, 06:19 PM   #26
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

Watching the CTS-V race car outrun and outgun the GT3 RS's, Viper ACR's and C6 race cars on Speedvision GT is an education in itself..
Well, the Citroen Xsara and the Ford Focus are the best rally cars and that doesn't mean that a Xsara or a Focus are the ultimate driving machines. I think that comparing racing cars to street cars is something ridiculous
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:20 PM   #27
nthfinity
Regular User

^^^^^^
hard to say, mate... the economy is doing much better outside Michigan...

71/79ths is still a fraction (well, i dont think the XLR V is worth the asking price... same with the XLR)
Old 03-28-2006, 06:50 PM   #28
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
Originally Posted by RC45
$50K vs $90K - thats quite a bit cheaper..
since when did an S4 or an M3 cost $90k? don't think so.

an RS4 is a waaaay more interesting car than the CTS-V, so they can't be compared.
Ever driven a CTS-V?
Old 03-28-2006, 08:05 PM   #29
gobs3z
Regular User

The literal interpratation of the CTS-V is a Corvette Z06 (previous model) with 600lbs. added too it. It can't be a bad car by any means, i hate the interior still, but it's a corvette at heart. But beyond that, is the LS9 something that is actually being worked on?

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:59 PM   #30
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by gobs3z
The literal interpratation of the CTS-V is a Corvette Z06 (previous model) with 600lbs. added too it. It can't be a bad car by any means, i hate the interior still, but it's a corvette at heart. But beyond that, is the LS9 something that is actually being worked on?
100% does exist, and no confirmed production plans... but we saw the 7.0 being tested in a V @ NS... why not a supercharged 6.2??