Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 09-20-2004, 08:07 PM   #31
jamberl
Regular User

Originally Posted by racer_f50
Originally Posted by jamberl
Thanks for the info- I had thought about buying a steering wheel. The idea of controlling a car using 4 arrow keys has already struck me as being a little silly!

By the way, how exactly does one code a game? Ive been interested in this, the idea of actually making a game is really cool, although obviously very time consuming. Very impressive that one person is doing this.
well, i'm not entirely sure what programming language he's coding in, but its one that he can port to Windows, Linux, and Mac. you program a game the same way you do any other application i'd guess, but it obvioulsy involves far more work. for a racing game for example, you have to code the physics engine, graphics engine, sound engine, etc.....
recently he's just been updating the sound and graphics engines, and trying to implement AI and other things that make a game more complete.

Yeah, I kinda understand all that stuff, but I mean I have never actually seen any game coding first hand. I mean I get the basics, but If I actually wanted to code a game myself I would have no idea where to start. Have you done any?
jamberl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 08:40 PM   #32
tigerx
Regular User

that's what college/university programs are for ???
Old 09-20-2004, 09:30 PM   #33
racer_f50
Regular User

Originally Posted by jamberl
Yeah, I kinda understand all that stuff, but I mean I have never actually seen any game coding first hand. I mean I get the basics, but If I actually wanted to code a game myself I would have no idea where to start. Have you done any?
nope, haven't done any myself, but i'm sure it would be a very intersting thing to get into. the most programming i can do right now in Visual Basic.
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:15 PM   #34
jamberl
Regular User

Originally Posted by tigerx
that's what college/university programs are for ???
Haha yeah you're probably right. I think at some universities now they actually have a degree for making computer games. Dont know what its called, though.
jamberl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:00 AM   #35
ARMAN
Regular User

Racer_F50 - so it s your 308GTB :shock: The nicest car I saw in racer, very high quality
I was compaling about physics, and yes, I think with steering wheel and pedals it could be much better, but I dont want invest in it right now.

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:38 AM   #36
ARMAN
Regular User

Downloading.... and maybe convert my LADA 2106 to it

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote